JAB did a masterful job | Syracusefan.com

JAB did a masterful job

Halfmooncuse

Hall of Fame
With this team. Seriously I am not a JAB homer but for this team to go 25 and 0 finish second in the ACC and get a 3 seed in the NCAAT is short of miraculous. This team is greatly flawed and he knew it. No shooters (1 jump shot against a mediocre team) no center production, a freshman point guard that came down to earth after being proclaimed saintly, a go to guy who really is not a goto guy, no bench, injuries etc.a team that nearly lost to St Francis and did lose toBC. Unfortunately given the talent on this team and that what is coming in SU will not sniff another title in the foreseeable future. Instead of the kool - aid we as fans ought to try sipping reality.

Who is to blame for the lack of shooters and lack of a bench?
Your right but I was relating to his coaching of what he has not what maybe he should have had.

iommi said:
Who is to blame for the lack of shooters?

Why does everything have to be someone's fault? Cooney was one of the best shooters in his class. We were all excited to get him. He hasn't lived up to expectations yet but he has two more years. Tyler and CJ should have been reliable shooters. We had three people on the roster that for a good part of the season we relied and they didn't come through. It sucks for us and it sucks for them but it isn't necessarily someone's fault. Sometimes things don't pan out.

orangehomer said:
are you crazy? he just took a team with 2 possible lottery picks and lost to a mid major and it wasn't pretty. we were more talented than Dayton and it wasn't close. this year is one of boeheim's biggest letdowns.

He missed the shots? At what point is it his fault versus the lottery picks. The entire team played a horrible game and JB has his faults.

Why does everything have to be someone's fault? Cooney was one of the best shooters in his class. We were all excited to get him. He hasn't lived up to expectations yet but he has two more years. Tyler and CJ should have been reliable shooters. We had three people on the roster that for a good part of the season we relied and they didn't come through. It sucks for us and it sucks for them but it isn't necessarily someone's fault. Sometimes things don't pan out.

Well, the buck stops with JB. He didn't develop the potential shooters who rotted on his bench and he didn't recruit a shooter for 2014 class, though he knew we were losing a go-to option in CJ.

It's irrelevant who comes back or leaves early, we will still lack shooting in 2014-2015.

are you crazy? he just took a team with 2 possible lottery picks and lost to a mid major and it wasn't pretty. we were more talented than Dayton and it wasn't close. this year is one of boeheim's biggest letdowns.

O5W5v_zps919478cf.gif

We need scorers. System players are great, but the purpose of the game is to out score the other team.

We need a dynamic guard. Someone with some speed...any kind of speed. Yeah, a scorer.

We need a dynamic guard. Someone with some speed...any kind of speed. Yeah, a scorer.

Ghost, in high school Kaleb was very fast and dynamic, but he's not a knock down shooter from deep...more of a slasher, with an explosive step and a great mid-range. Outside shooting will again be a major issue.

Well, the buck stops with JB. He didn't develop the potential shooters who rotted on his bench and he didn't recruit a shooter for 2014 class, though he knew we were losing a go-to option in CJ.

It's irrelevant who comes back or leaves early, we will still lack shooting in 2014-2015.

That's what people don't get - in any sport the responsibility falls squarely on the coach. Nobody can tell me JB did a masterful job at the end of this season. I love JB, but I call it like I see it.

iommi said:

Cooney was supposed to be that guy and for a decent portion of the year he was.

Masterful year for jimmy! When your team is supposed to be peaking at this time of year, Syracuse did the complete opposite.. Losing 6 of their last nine games... Masterful!

iommi said:
Ghost, in high school Kaleb was very fast and dynamic, but he's not a knock down shooter from deep...more of a slasher, with an explosive step and a great mid-range. Outside shooting will again be a major issue.

Nice to see someone sees the big picture.

At least Fair provided us with a mid range game this year. That's going to be missing next year.

I still have some hope for Patterson, and as much as I am disappointed in Cooney I do think he'll have a role with the team going forward. Probably diminished unless he suddenly figures out how to create his own shot, but we'll see. G actually looked somewhat promising for the first time this year (yeah, not a big G fan).

Hopefully we get up and down the court more next year.....I'm not sure I can take another year of us playing at this pace.

Nice to see someone sees the big picture.

At least Fair provided us with a mid range game this year. That's going to be missing next year.

Grant was honestly just as good as CJ for last the third of the season. At least it seemed close with the mid-range game.

I also think Roberson will be fairly adept in that area as well. I'm still not sure why everyone thought he was sooooooooooooooo underwhelming this year, I thought he was fairly decent and should have seen more court time. He seemed to have nerves more than anything - u could have remedied that with a little PT.

I still have some hope for Patterson, and as much as I am disappointed in Cooney I do think he'll have a role with the team going forward. Probably diminished unless he suddenly figures out how to create his own shot, but we'll see. G actually looked somewhat promising for the first time this year (yeah, not a big G fan).

Hopefully we get up and down the court more next year...I'm not sure I can take another year of us playing at this pace.

Well, if Kaleb is our starting pg, he is a big-time uptempo guy. Amazing motor and second gear and he should be elite in transition...and he can throw down jams like Dion...fun player to watch...I hope Patterson and a bulked up BJ can help us too.

Well, if Kaleb is our starting pg, he is a big-time uptempo guy. Amazing motor and second gear and he should be elite in transition...and he can throw down jams like Dion...fun player to watch...I hope Patterson and a bulked up BJ can help us too.

BJ's progression will probably be the most interesting thing for next year. He is a very intriguing player.

BJ's progression will probably be the most interesting thing for next year. He is a very intriguing player.

He needs to add 15 pounds (at least) and more of a game off the bounce...he settled for deep jumpers in his limited time.

With this team. Seriously I am not a JAB homer but for this team to go 25 and 0 finish second in the ACC and get a 3 seed in the NCAAT is short of miraculous. This team is greatly flawed and he knew it. No shooters (1 jump shot against a mediocre team) no center production, a freshman point guard that came down to earth after being proclaimed saintly, a go to guy who really is not a goto guy, no bench, injuries etc.a team that nearly lost to St Francis and did lose toBC. Unfortunately given the talent on this team and that what is coming in SU will not sniff another title in the foreseeable future. Instead of the kool - aid we as fans ought to try sipping reality.
If you think he was masterful winning 25 then what happened during the last 9 games? He was obviously MUCH less masterful right?

Everyone saying they are lottery picks because of potential. So 40 % of jab starting 5 are NBA players make that 60% if you include CJ with a mcdonalds all American thrown into boot can't beat Dayton BC GT NC St nearly lose to St Francis etc because of coaching.? Christ, even a crazy guy could be a successful coach with this talent. So it's not the coaching it's because they aren't as good as the kool aid we've all been drinking. Can he really be the difference in neutralizing this so called talent such that these obviously talentless teams win?or is it because they are not that good?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom