JAB did a masterful job | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JAB did a masterful job

He needs to add 15 pounds (at least) and more of a game off the bounce...he settled for deep jumpers in his limited time.

Yeah, he's shockingly thin. Hopefully he can put on some weight. He suffered from "I never play" syndrome. As soon as he came in he seemed to be very aggressively pursuing his own shot. I can't really blame him, unlike Patterson/Roberson I didn't think he had a shot at making the rotation, and I imagine he figured it out at some point as well.

Still, if he can shoot it, he looks to be a superior athlete to someone like G, and probably will offer up much more in that role. If he can be consistent off the bat - he should get minutes at SG/SF at the very least early on. That will determine his role...

Why does everything have to be someone's fault? Cooney was one of the best shooters in his class. We were all excited to get him. He hasn't lived up to expectations yet but he has two more years. Tyler and CJ should have been reliable shooters. We had three people on the roster that for a good part of the season we relied and they didn't come through. It sucks for us and it sucks for them but it isn't necessarily someone's fault. Sometimes things don't pan out.

NKR, you could possibly have too good a head on your shoulders to be reading the board right now..

With this team. Seriously I am not a JAB homer but for this team to go 25 and 0 finish second in the ACC and get a 3 seed in the NCAAT is short of miraculous. This team is greatly flawed and he knew it. No shooters (1 jump shot against a mediocre team) no center production, a freshman point guard that came down to earth after being proclaimed saintly, a go to guy who really is not a goto guy, no bench, injuries etc.a team that nearly lost to St Francis and did lose toBC. Unfortunately given the talent on this team and that what is coming in SU will not sniff another title in the foreseeable future. Instead of the kool - aid we as fans ought to try sipping reality.

A friend of mine said it best “We should be thankful to JB for getting us in a position to be heartbroken”. I would rather be the favorite and be upset than the “cinderella team” who wins a couple games and then ultimately goes home. There is a reason why cinderella teams do not win titles because they go faster than they come. We are fortunate to be considered the favorites more often than not.

Everyone saying they are lottery picks because of potential. So 40 % of jab starting 5 are NBA players make that 60% if you include CJ with a mcdonalds all American thrown into boot can't beat Dayton BC GT NC St nearly lose to St Francis etc because of coaching.? Christ, even a crazy guy could be a successful coach with this talent. So it's not the coaching it's because they aren't as good as the kool aid we've all been drinking. Can he really be the difference in neutralizing this so called talent such that these obviously talentless teams win?or is it because they are not that good?
They won 25 games in a row! So guess what they really were that good. They completely collapsed to end the season

NKR, you could possibly have too good a head on your shoulders to be reading the board right now..

Oh, please...JB can do no wrong in your eyes. He's a legend but he's not beyond being questioned. This team peaked early and he didn't develop a bench. But we are all bad posters and bad fans for questioning why this team tanked down the stretch.:rolleyes:

This thread is stupid he didnt do his job, he ran this team into the ground. You have a bench, that he didn't use ( mike and bey are the only two) . He gave Cooney to much freedom. He let CJ do to much, CJ is a good player but he forced to much or he lost the ball. Tyler should've driven more in the lane and pass back out if he didn't have a shot. The passing the ball around the outside and then giving to CJ and watch him lose it( on a double team) or bounce it off his leg out of bounds. It sucks that the season ended this way, we can bitch or analyze this season till were blue face, but the fact is WERE 'CUSE FANS AND WE LOVE 'CUSE BASKETBALL

A friend of mine said it best “We should be thankful to JB for getting us in a position to be heartbroken”. I would rather be the favorite and be upset than the “cinderella team” who wins a couple games and then ultimately goes home. There is a reason why cinderella teams do not win titles because they go faster than they come. We are fortunate to be considered the favorites more often than not.
wow this is such BS

Sorry, this is an abysmal post.

Oh, please...JB can do no wrong in your eyes. He's a legend but he's not beyond being questioned. This team peaked early and he didn't develop a bench. But we are all bad posters and bad fans for questioning why this team tanked down the stretch.:rolleyes:

Never said any of that, you did.

Sorry, this is an abysmal post.

Think what you want but we could be a high seed every year without a prayer in the tournament. We have a chance the majority of years to do damage and the one constant has been JB. Some people are never satisfied I swear.

For most of the year, I was impressed, but in total, this looks like a disappointment.

We were 25-0 and finished 28-6. YUCK.

This team was fatally flawed all year and has been for some time. College basketball is all about scoring and having kids that can shoot. SU hasn't had either in a while and it's creating a ceiling. Give us someone like James Bell at Nova and we're a much bigger threat.

I love JB and everything he's accomplished, but it sure seems like this team is frequently losing games it shouldn't, when it matters the most.

Last edited:
You know in reality more often than not the players decide the outcome of the games anyway and we don’t have the players on this team. All of you wannabe coaches who sit on your couch at home and bash JB surely know more than him correct? All of the analysts, coaches, and players who know the game and think he is an elite coach must be wrong? Give me a break. You are looking for someone to blame and he is an easy target through a message board.

Lack of bench production, no consistent shooter, and no low post threat is a sure fire way to flame out fast

You know in reality more often than not the players decide the outcome of the games anyway and we don’t have the players on this team. All of you wannabe coaches who sit on your couch at home and bash JB surely know more than him correct? All of the analysts, coaches, and players who know the game and think he is an elite coach must be wrong? Give me a break. You are looking for someone to blame and he is an easy target through a message board.

We don't have the players on this team - yet this team was ranked #1 a month ago with 2 definite nba prospects, 1 possible nba prospect, a mcds aa at center, a guy who was considered a great shooter out of HS, a top 30 guy coming off the bench, and supposedly a solid group of freshman. And yet the team just completely flames out at the worst time of the year. But no, don't put any blame on the coach, who recruits and develops these players. Every other coach in the country can at least take some blame, but I guess JB never can.

iommi said:

None of us would be here if we didn't love Syracuse University Basketball a great deal. As annoyed as many of us are with each other tonight, we are all good fans. For me it's just easier to be angry at anonymous posters on this board than it is with people who I know feel 100x worse than I do.

We all deal with these losses in our own way. And if we all agreed, this place would be really boring. But I don't think rstone has ever argued that JB is infallible.

Agree. He did a good job. Fair shot poor in 2 of the last 4 games, and Grant only showed up in 2 of the last 3 games. Cooney couldn't make a tough shot late in the season, he had to be in his own world without pressure to knock down a jumper. And when fair was off(2 of the last 4 games) we had to run every offensive play through ennis (like tonight)

This team was a different team in march and it went 2-2.
I believe JB did everything he could. On to next year.

Who is to blame for the lack of shooters and lack of a bench?

Stop already...you know who JB is and you know how he coaches...you also know that these kids can shoot. They we just frustratingly inconsistent. Okay them, enjoy your summer...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom