Jabari Parker a "high character" Melo | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jabari Parker a "high character" Melo

Before this thread goes to the grave, let's be clear. You don't know Carmelo, you don't know the situation he grew up in, you making any judgment on his character is stupid, because you have no idea what kind of person he actually is.

and I got singled out for that?

CusefanATL said:
and I got singled out for that?
You just tend to focus on negative type things a lot. Some people do.

As for intelligence and the ability to speak and write well, I have found it pointless to judge. Melo is fine all things considered and whoever judge him I'm sure we could find 10 things wrong with too.

Kids are a product of their upbringing and environments. If you're comparing the maturity of 18-year-old Parker vs. 18-year-old Melo, I think it would probably be accurate to say that Parker at that age is more mature. But Parker also had the benefit of having a strong father figure in his life, while Melo did not. Parker was also raised in a safer and more stable part of Chicago than what Melo had to deal with in Baltimore. Melo undoubtedly was rough around the edges as a teenager and into his early 20s, but I think he has matured very well.
Was about to post something similar before I read yours. But one thing, Parker grew up on the South side of Chicago, far from safe. But yes, his father kept tight reigns on him and would set up cones in the driveway and made Parker practice for hours like that. There didn't sound like there were any hanging out on the corner or much time playing on Chicago's playgrounds. He played at his church's a lot.

You just tend to focus on negative type things a lot. Some people do.

As for intelligence and the ability to speak and write well, I have found it pointless to judge. Melo is fine all things considered and whoever judge him I'm sure we could find 10 things wrong with too.

Or I tend to focus on his factual history.

again... its not negative to say he isn't a low character guy. I have no idea why you guys are focusing on the fact that I said he doesnt have a clean reputation.

come on people.

The fickle media always likes the flavor of the month.

Are we comparing Parker's college year to Melo's college years or are some people letting a few of Melo's post SU career incidents cloud their memory? I'm sure he wasn't a saint, most college kids aren't, but I don't remember Melo having issues here.

I can think of another word other than depressing, but I'll refrain...
one says depressing, and you think of another word which I sure is derogatory. I am however a realist. Life is what it is.

If the world collapsed into Chaos and anarchy what do you think the percentage of "high" and "low" character people would be? Let's just say the percentages would not be close. That is why I love the Walking Dead, as this is exactly how it would be.

There's a difference between being immature and making dumb decisions and growing up like Melo did, and being just a complete POS like Lance Stephenson who threw his pregnant girlfriend down a set of stairs. Most of us do dumb things when we were that age.

Donating $3 mil to your alma mater soon after you join the NBA is alarming. What a punk Melo is. The Melo Center has done wonders for this basketball program. He also donated a ton to his Baltimore area to make it a safe place for kids to play ball.

Melo is one of the more-liked players amongst his fellow NBA brethren.

Yeesh.

The original comment, that Parker is a high quality Melo, is insensitive, inappropriate, and downright mean. Whoever said this has a character issue going on.

I honestly can't tell if you're joking or not.

My post certainly wasn't terrible.
He does not speak good - see what I did there?
Classy player? really?
Good family man - and you know that how?

Dont get me wrong... re-read my original post - I didnt call him a low character player - but I don't think anyone would call Melo a saint.

Am I crazy to think that he doesn't have the cleanest reputation?

yea your post was terrible. not sure how that would be a joke. you must have incredibly high expectations for 18 year old kids. i feel bad for any potential sons you may have.

The original comment, that Parker is a high quality Melo, is insensitive, inappropriate, and downright mean. Whoever said this has a character issue going on.
It's so inaccurate. I'm literally shocked Goodman said that. He should seriously have to man up to those comments. Parker hasn't shown me anything to prove he will be as good as Melo and the character stuff is complete bs. Who says that!?

Agreed. What is also interesting about Goodman's comment is that up till this point in Melo's career Melo did nothing wrong his year at cuse wasn't till he got to the NBA where he had a few mishaps. How do we know the same won't happen to Parker?

How do we get in contact with that clown? Seriously, he needs to hear how out of bounds he was with that ish.

we can let this one slide. goodman is a high character seth davis. davis once appeared on real sex. i heard he used the F word once in college. also, he pissed behind a dumpster when he was in his early 20s. lastly, he pops too many P's. low character dude that seth davis.

That is absolute garbage. It's fine to talk about Parker's character and how he seems like a great kid. But there is absolutely no need to disparage Melo or anybody else while doing so. And that guy is way off. While Carmelo has his warts, he's also a very generous person and has overcome a lot in his life.

Not one of Goodman's finer moments. He should be outright ashamed of himself. I hope JB addresses that statement when he has a chance.

If Melo was such a "bad apple" and "low character" individual, then why JB let him play with his kids at practices? Why was that team one of the closest knit teams in SU history?

Parker is no better or no worse than Melo was as a freshman. They were/are both great players and good kids.

Parker made Jabari Bars, Melo never made anything for us while he was here :( That must be it.

People forget so quickly.

I have been saying all along this is an insult to Melo. The kid lost a handful of games his whole career while leading the team in scoring and rebounding. He was a far better rebounder then given credit for.

At best Parker is a poor man's Melo

Kids are a product of their upbringing and environments. If you're comparing the maturity of 18-year-old Parker vs. 18-year-old Melo, I think it would probably be accurate to say that Parker at that age is more mature. But Parker also had the benefit of having a strong father figure in his life, while Melo did not. Parker was also raised in a safer and more stable part of Chicago than what Melo had to deal with in Baltimore. Melo undoubtedly was rough around the edges as a teenager and into his early 20s, but I think he has matured very well.

I think you can replace "kids" with "everyone".
Single biggest problem in society today.
Adam Carolla rocks.

Agreed. What is also interesting about Goodman's comment is that up till this point in Melo's career Melo did nothing wrong his year at cuse wasn't till he got to the NBA where he had a few mishaps. How do we know the same won't happen to Parker?

Yes, exactly. In melo's year at Cuse, those weird reporters who say stupid things just talked about his smile 24/7.

Melo punched a player a foot shorter than him and then ran away.

He's had moments. But he's turned it around as he's gotten older. Not surprising. With ages, comes maturity (well, for most people).

Melo punched a player a foot shorter than him and then ran away.

He's had moments. But he's turned it around as he's gotten older. Not surprising. With ages, comes maturity (well, for most people).

What? Mardy Collins is like 6'6. Nate would've been fair game too, by the way, with how he was acting. But no...Melo hit Mardy Collins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom