Jabari Parker a "high character" Melo | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Jabari Parker a "high character" Melo

What? Mardy Collins is like 6'6. Nate would've been fair game too, by the way, with how he was acting. But no...Melo hit Mardy Collins.

Wow, there's a name I haven't heard for a minute.

So what? Being religious doesn't automatically associate with being high character. In many cases, quite the opposite.
Shows you believe in something other than yourself.. not an ego. I'm sure you can find exceptions, you can find that in anything, but I don't think you have a reason just to dismiss this fact.

sorry but that's just a douchebag statement to make. "espn dude" owes an apology to carmelo and his family.

So what? Being religious doesn't automatically associate with being high character. In many cases, quite the opposite.
Also, mormonism requires a level of dedication not seen in most religions these days. You really cannot be a casual mormon the way you'll see in other religions, where people will just celebrate the major holidays.

No consumption of alcohol, caffeine, no premaritial sex, sometimes they even spend times in a missionary. It requires a certain level of humbleness and dedication--two things of very high character and to be appreciated.

yea your post was terrible. not sure how that would be a joke. you must have incredibly high expectations for 18 year old kids. i feel bad for any potential sons you may have.

before you take to family and children (which is downright embarrassing for you) re-read my posts and tell me what i said was wrong or terrible or mean spirited? anything other than the truth.

i didnt call him a bad person. VERY VERY VERY FAR FROM IT. I specifically said he isnt a bad person.

Also, mormonism requires a level of dedication not seen in most religions these days. You really cannot be a casual mormon the way you'll see in other religions, where people will just celebrate the major holidays.

No consumption of alcohol, caffeine, no premaritial s e x , sometimes they even spend times in a missionary. It requires a certain level of humbleness and dedication--two things of very high character and to be appreciated.
Makes him no better than anyone else. That he chooses to forgoe these "demons" (lol) is his own choice. Brainwashing is a powerful thing,

before you take to family and children (which is downright embarrassing for you) re-read my posts and tell me what i said was wrong or terrible or mean spirited? anything other than the truth.

i didnt call him a bad person. VERY VERY VERY FAR FROM IT. I specifically said he isnt a bad person.

Your post sucked. You are on a sinking ship. Move on.

Pat Kelly said:

No consumption of alcohol, caffeine, no premaritial s e x , sometimes they even spend times in a missionary. It requires a certain level of humbleness and dedication--two things of very high character and to be appreciated.

I appreciate a good beer and a fine coffee. Apparently, that makes me of lesser character than someone who denies themselves those pleasures. Hmm...

Last edited:
I am sure Parker is a nice young man, not sure Melo is not the same. Parker is more clean cut, but i've never gotten the sense Melo is of low character. He seems charitable with his time and money. He smiles a lot and generally has a pleasant demeanor. He has scrapped and clawed and represented his country well in two olympics. He is married with child and has never been described as violent or absent.

To me, the "Stop snitching" stuff was the worst, and frankly, beneath him and a deviation in character. Hopefully he learned from that experience.

I am sure Parker is a nice young man, not sure Melo is not the same. Parker is more clean cut, but i've never gotten the sense Melo is of low character. He seems charitable with his time and money. He smiles a lot and generally has a pleasant demeanor. He has scrapped and clawed and represented his country well in two olympics. He is married with child and has never been described as violent or absent.

To me, the "Stop snitching" stuff was the worst, and frankly, beneath him and a deviation in character. Hopefully he learned from that experience.

Pretty unfair comment given Anthony has been in the league and under a microscope for eleven years and Jabari Parker hasn't been given an opportunity to .

Last edited by a moderator:
i think jabari parker is the #1 value in the draft . given some benji's who knows what he'll do. i could care less.

and i don't snitch. never. those problems get bled out one on one.

Last edited:
Shows you believe in something other than yourself.. not an ego. I'm sure you can find exceptions, you can find that in anything, but I don't think you have a reason just to dismiss this fact.

Honestly--what does believing in something other than yourself have to do with one's character? There are plenty of people who believe in a higher power who act immorally / unethically / display poor character, just like there are people who aren't religious who demonstrate exemplary character. In and of itself, believing in a higher power doesn't equate to having high character.

Second, I am quite aware of much of what Mormonism entails, perhaps moreso than many. But those things you suggest require dedication also seem goofy, unnecessary, frivolous and / or fringe from an outside perspective. Many Catholics don't eat meat on Fridays--do you similarly laud their "dedication?"

I don't want to turn this into a holy war, but the notion that merely being religious = you are a good person is bunk.

Last edited:

Your second paragraph seems like a rather low bar to determine who is a high character person.

one says depressing, and you think of another word which I sure is derogatory. I am however a realist. Life is what it is.

If the world collapsed into Chaos and anarchy what do you think the percentage of "high" and "low" character people would be? Let's just say the percentages would not be close. That is why I love the Walking Dead, as this is exactly how it would be.

You're certainly entitled to your own thoughts and beliefs based upon your own thinking and life experiences. However, I'll use my own experiences and belief system...I doubt your generalization that 'most of all humans are of low character' is a universal belief. Your hypothetical is just that, a hypothetical...hardly the real(ist) world in which 'most' humans live. But hey, go ahead and knock yourself in your attempt in persuading & influencing others of life being what it is...

Last edited:
Can't say I am shocked. Duke players are held up as saints by ESPN with ol'rat face being the pope. I think this is the second Duke player that they have compared to Melo. Deng was the 1st if I remember correctly. The only player to have a Melo type impact on his team as a Fr in the past 25 yrs in CBB has been Anthony Davis in my opinion.

Melo is always a little rough around the edges. He swore on national TV while at Cuse. He has been in brawls on and off the court. He speaks poorly.

He doesnt have a "clean" reputation.

I wouldn't call him low character - but IMO he isn't high character either.
Melo has worked hard and learned from some of the mistakes he made early in his NBA career. His charitable work in Baltimore, Denver, Syracuse and NYC has been exemplary, and he seems to be a good family man. He is now much more comfortable speaking to the media, and really comes off as a pretty intelligent guy in interviews. I dare say he expresses himself more coherently and thoughtfully than many of the posters on this board.

Honestly--what does believing in something other than yourself have to do with one's character? There are plenty of people who believe in a higher power who act immorally / unethically / display poor character, just like there are people who aren't religious who demonstrate exemplary character. In and of itself, believing in a higher power doesn't equate to having high character.

Second, I am quite aware of much of what Mormonism entails, perhaps moreso than many. But those things you suggest require dedication also seem goofy, unnecessary, and misguided from an outside perspective. Many Catholics don't eat meat on Fridays--do you similarly laud their "dedication?"

I don't want to turn this into a holy war, but the notion that merely being religious = you are a good person is bunk.
I wish I could like this a thousand times, but I don't think I have that kind of dedication. I'm not Mormon, for God's sake.

Parker grew up on the South side of Chicago, far from safe.

I read on Wikipedia (I believe) that the neighborhood on the South Side in which he grew up is gentrifying and relatively safe. It surprised me too because obviously I usually associate the South Side with horrible gang violence.

I read on Wikipedia (I believe) that the neighborhood on the South Side in which he grew up is gentrifying and relatively safe. It surprised me too because obviously I usually associate the South Side with horrible gang violence.
I know they said coach k looked very out of place when he came for his in home. And the pics or video I saw of his hood was legit, and I'm pretty much from similar surroundings. The fact that his parents set up cones in his driveway and not let him play on the neighborhood courts tells something as well.
But I won't say it's Melo's level Baltimore. That's grade A, as you know.

Second, I am quite aware of much of what Mormonism entails, perhaps moreso than many. But those things you suggest require dedication also seem goofy, unnecessary, frivolous and / or fringe from an outside perspective. Many Catholics don't eat meat on Fridays--do you similarly laud their "dedication?"

I just said there are obviously exceptions, but that's the minority. My main point I began with though is this is why he is viewed as having higher character, because of these things.

I thought it would be fairly obvious that this is the reason people believe Jabari to be of "higher character", so I mention this point, but because I mention something relating to religion everyone has a very strong reaction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom