Jabari Parker to return to Duke? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jabari Parker to return to Duke?

Well if Parker is a projected top 3 pick and he comes back, why can't ennnis?

Well, he could. I just don't see why Ennis would announce his intentions so quickly if he wasn't already committed to heading to the NBA. If he was on the fence and wanted to see how things played out he could have waited until April 27th to declare.

Briancuse said:
Well if Parker is a projected top 3 pick and he comes back, why can't ennnis?

Cause we never get lucky

Couldn't agree more, why can't we get the kid who embraces the college game.

Well, there was CJ last year. And we don't know if Parker is staying or not!

ROCuse said:
Well, there was CJ last year. And we don't know if Parker is staying or not!

CJ needed to come back.

He wasn't a first round pick and he still isn't.

He understands the money will still be there in 2015 and a great finish in the NCAA's will lead to more endorsements.
TE (and hundreds of others before him) must have a complete lack of understanding then.

Why would anyone be upset if he stays. We moan and groan about the "one and done" culture. But when we have a kid who thinks he might stay... we criticize him? I don't get it.

Oh sure, get all logical and stuff. What kind of place are you trying to turn this into?

;)

We dont have that kid. he plays for duke. our kid thinks he is ready for the nba

Parker has a very good chance to be the #1 pick...he's not coming back. There is no reason to worry about seeing him back at Duke next year- both he and Hood are gone.

Nobody HAS to go. Who are any of us to tell a kid when he needs to go.it may not make sense to you but not everybody has the same desires and goals.

True and more kids declare that makes no sense than the other way around. Can't ever play college ball or have that college experience again when a kid declares but he can still head to the NBA if he stays.

Nobody HAS to go. Who are any of us to tell a kid when he needs to go.it may not make sense to you but not everybody has the same desires and goals.

D, even Melo wanted to come back another year, but JB knew he had to go. He told him as much. Coming back was not going to make him any more money. We all know that no one HAS to go, but sometimes the timing dictates the decision. It's the old "bird in hand" analogy. If you are guaranteed a top 3 pick and a few million bucks, it could be bad news to turn it down. Just like Deal or No Deal. You never know what's in your case, but you know what's on the board.

Parker may not want to leave. He may want to go after a title next season. Who wouldn't? But is that title worth it if he blows a knee out next season? If he turns pro now, he is guaranteed financial security, so even if he blows his knee out in game one of the season, he's getting paid. Parker declaring is NOT a gamble. Someone like Grant declaring is somewhat of a gamble because he is not a top 20 guy (yet). A guy like CJ leaving after last season would have been a total gamble. If CJ had been a guaranteed Top 3 pick last year, he would have been gonzo no matter how much he liked college or playing for JB.

If Parker wants to be a Medical Doctor for the rest of his life, then he should come back. But if he wants instant financial security for his current and future families, he should leave now. He can always go back to school and be whatever he wants 10-15 years from now when he's in his mid thirties.

Parker has a very good chance to be the #1 pick...he's not coming back. There is no reason to worry about seeing him back at Duke next year- both he and Hood are gone.

I agree that Hood is gone - I read an article recently in which K stated as much. Regarding Parker, I'm not so sure. I think that the time is right for him, as a top-3 pick, to go to the NBA. But for some reason, I wouldn't be surprised to see him at Duke next season.

Believe it or not, that's not the only factor for some people.

I don't think Parker will come back, but it also wouldn't shock me. Other things are at play than just draft status. Especially when you're talking about a kid like this. He could be #1 this year, and almost certainly will be next year.

Let's not be ridiculous, of course Jabari should be a one and done. It is not like 2 years of college is incredibly more useful than one year of college. He doesn't have much room to improve his draft stock, and it probably just costs him a year on his pro career. He would be much more likely to be the #1 pick, which by my calculation is probably worth about $200k more for him ($250k considering a mil insurance policy for injury) but in the long run it is also a year longer before he gets a FA contract. In the long run he losses by not coming out. And as PeteCalvin mentioned, he can always go back to school later. Who among us wouldn't have left freshman year for a guaranteed 8mil over 2 years?

Although the logic is sound, we have discussed this scenario to death on this board. Why stay in college and work out, chisel your frame, etc, for free when an NBA team will pay you millions right NOW to do that. It makes no sense for Parker to come back. None. Grant, on the other hand, is guaranteed nothing in the draft and knows that. That is why coming back to do those things is right for him. Next year he will be a lottery pick and will have to go.

NBA is a grown man's world. If a player knows he's not mature enough to handle it then by all means stay in school.

Let's be real here. This supposed "best draft since Lebron/Melo/Wade" isn't anywhere close to that now. None of these guys are seen as franchise changers, but Parker's seen as the guy most ready to make an impact. It isn't just about going #1, it's also about the endorsement money that goes with it. Parker seems like the one who the companies will most likely link up with over Wiggins/Embiid/Smart, so he'd not only be passing on the millions as a top 3 pick, but the millions in endorsement money that goes along with it...to go back to Duke and play out of position for another season?

Call me cynical or jaded, but I don't buy for a second that he's going back to Duke next year...and frankly if he did, he'd be dumber than Marcus Smart. I don't like the system, but it is what it is, and when you are a lock for the top 3, you should go.

TE (and hundreds of others before him) must have a complete lack of understanding then.
Can't speak for Ennis but regarding the hundreds of others before him I think it's very safe to say yes, absolutely to the majority of them (considering the bankruptcy statistics alone).

maybe it's not about money, seem to remember some florida kids not worried about the money. back to back?

maybe it's not about money, seem to remember some florida kids not worried about the money. back to back?
But returning to school was devastating for them because they all went undrafted and are out of the league and broke...oh wait that's not true at all.