Jabari Parker to return to Duke? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Jabari Parker to return to Duke?

Although the logic is sound, we have discussed this scenario to death on this board. Why stay in college and work out, chisel your frame, etc, for free when an NBA team will pay you millions right NOW to do that. It makes no sense for Parker to come back. None. Grant, on the other hand, is guaranteed nothing in the draft and knows that. That is why coming back to do those things is right for him. Next year he will be a lottery pick and will have to go.
Marcus Smart would have been the #2 by the Orlando Magic last year and returned to college. I agree with what you said, but maybe the loss to Mercer left a bad taste in Parker's mouth and he wants to leave a better legacy at Duke. As Duke didn't win anything last year no ACC regular season, ACC Tournament, and 1 and done in the NCAA Tournament. I believe Parker may come back because the kid isn't like most other freshman he seems more mature and knows the money will be there whenever he decides to go.

Although the logic is sound, we have discussed this scenario to death on this board. Why stay in college and work out, chisel your frame, etc, for free when an NBA team will pay you millions right NOW to do that. It makes no sense for Parker to come back. None. Grant, on the other hand, is guaranteed nothing in the draft and knows that. That is why coming back to do those things is right for him. Next year he will be a lottery pick and will have to go.
Because you enjoy college. Once you leave, there's no going back, and the atmosphere will be totally different. If he wants to go, great, but if he wants to stay, that's great too. The injury thing is overblown. Even if he got hurt next year while playing for Duke, he'd still go in the lottery. Look at where Noel went, and Parker has a much more complete game than Noel. I hope he does what makes him happy, and isn't seduced by the money, if he really enjoys college.

He needs to go and get his clock ticking for his second contract which, barring a catastrophic injury, should be gigantic.

If anyone is advising him to come back other than saying, "at the end of the day, you are an adult and this is your choice", then they are doing him a disservice.

He needs to go and get his clock ticking for his second contract which, barring a catastrophic injury, should be gigantic.

If anyone is advising him to come back other than saying, "at the end of the day, you are an adult and this is your choice", then they are doing him a disservice.

That's really the only argument for him coming back. And it's totally legit. It's his life, if he wants to go back to school god bless him. But everything else says he should leave school.

I honestly don't understand why we have gone from 1 generation of the NBA draft from this
1994 NBA Draft
1 Glenn Robinson (SF) USA Milwaukee Bucks Purdue University (Jr.)
2 Jason Kidd (PG) USA Dallas Mavericks California So.
3 Grant Hill (SF) USA Detroit Pistons Duke Sr.
4 Donyell Marshall (SF) USA Minnesota Timberwolves Connecticut Jr.
5 Juwan Howard* (PF) USA Washington Bullets Michigan Jr.
6 Sharone Wright (PF/C) USA Philadelphia 76ers Clemson Jr.
7 Lamond Murray (SF) USA Los Angeles Clippers California Jr.
8 Brian Grant (PF) USA Sacramento Kings Xavier Sr.
9 Eric Montross (C) USA Boston Celtics North Carolina Sr.
10 Eddie Jones* (SG) USA Los Angeles Lakers Temple Sr.

This included 5 Juniors, 4 Seniors, 1 Sophomore(who is an unquestioned first 1 ballot HOFer)

2004 NBA Draft
1 Dwight Howard* C USA Orlando Magic Southwest Atlanta Christian Academy (Atlanta, GA) HS Sr.
2 Emeka Okafor PF/C USA Charlotte Bobcats (from L.A. Clippers)[6] Connecticut (Jr.)
3 Ben Gordon G USA/UK Chicago Bulls Connecticut (Jr.)
4 Shaun Livingston PG USA Los Angeles Clippers (from Charlotte)[6] Peoria HS (Peoria, IL) HS Sr.
5 Devin Harris+ G USA Washington Wizards (traded to Dallas)[8] Wisconsin (Jr.)
6 Josh Childress G/F USA Atlanta Hawks Stanford (Jr.)
7 Luol Deng G/F UKPhoenix Suns (traded to Chicago)[10] Duke (Fr.)
8 Rafael Araújo C Brazil Toronto Raptors BYU (Sr.)
9 Andre Iguodala G/F USA Philadelphia 76ers Arizona (So.)
10 Luke Jackson SF USA Cleveland Cavaliers Oregon (Sr.)

4 Juniors, 2 HS kids, 2 Seniors, 1 Freshman, 1 Sophomore

2013 NBA Draft last year
1 Anthony Bennett PF/SF Canada Cleveland Cavaliers UNLV (Fr.)
2 Victor Oladipo SG/PG USA Orlando Magic Indiana (Jr.)
3 Otto Porter SF USA Washington Wizards Georgetown (So.)
4 Cody Zeller PF/C USA Charlotte Bobcats Indiana (So.)
5 Alex Len C Ukraine Phoenix Suns Maryland (So.)
6 Nerlens Noel# C USA New Orleans Pelicans (traded to Philadelphia)[A] Kentucky (Fr.)
7 Ben McLemore SG USA Sacramento Kings Kansas (Fr.)
8 Kentavious Caldwell-Pope SG USA Detroit Pistons Georgia (So.)
9 Trey Burke PG USA Minnesota Timberwolves (traded to Utah)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NBA_draft#cite_note-JazzTimberwolvestrade-17 Michigan (So.)
10 C.J. McCollum PG/SG USA Portland Trail Blazers Lehigh (Sr.)

5 Sophomores, 3 Freshman, 1 Junior, 1 Senior

This is why the college basketball game has suffered. The NBA isn't getting finished products entering the league. In 1994, 1 underclassmen left really early and it was Jason Kidd who was a special talent nowadays 8 out of the 10 picks are Freshman/Sophomores and not many of them are contributing as rookies.

The players have the right to leave early, but the NBA is having to develop these guys on the practice rather them playing in college.

I honestly don't understand why we have gone from 1 generation of the NBA draft from this
1994 NBA Draft
1 Glenn Robinson (SF) USA Milwaukee Bucks Purdue University (Jr.)
2 Jason Kidd (PG) USA Dallas Mavericks California So.
3 Grant Hill (SF) USA Detroit Pistons Duke Sr.
4 Donyell Marshall (SF) USA Minnesota Timberwolves Connecticut Jr.
5 Juwan Howard* (PF) USA Washington Bullets Michigan Jr.
6 Sharone Wright (PF/C) USA Philadelphia 76ers Clemson Jr.
7 Lamond Murray (SF) USA Los Angeles Clippers California Jr.
8 Brian Grant (PF) USA Sacramento Kings Xavier Sr.
9 Eric Montross (C) USA Boston Celtics North Carolina Sr.
10 Eddie Jones* (SG) USA Los Angeles Lakers Temple Sr.

This included 5 Juniors, 4 Seniors, 1 Sophomore(who is an unquestioned first 1 ballot HOFer)

2004 NBA Draft
1 Dwight Howard* C USA Orlando Magic Southwest Atlanta Christian Academy (Atlanta, GA) HS Sr.
2 Emeka Okafor PF/C USA Charlotte Bobcats (from L.A. Clippers)[6] Connecticut (Jr.)
3 Ben Gordon G USA/UK Chicago Bulls Connecticut (Jr.)
4 Shaun Livingston PG USA Los Angeles Clippers (from Charlotte)[6] Peoria HS (Peoria, IL) HS Sr.
5 Devin Harris+ G USA Washington Wizards (traded to Dallas)[8] Wisconsin (Jr.)
6 Josh Childress G/F USA Atlanta Hawks Stanford (Jr.)
7 Luol Deng G/F UKPhoenix Suns (traded to Chicago)[10] Duke (Fr.)
8 Rafael Araújo C Brazil Toronto Raptors BYU (Sr.)
9 Andre Iguodala G/F USA Philadelphia 76ers Arizona (So.)
10 Luke Jackson SF USA Cleveland Cavaliers Oregon (Sr.)

4 Juniors, 2 HS kids, 2 Seniors, 1 Freshman, 1 Sophomore

2013 NBA Draft last year
1 Anthony Bennett PF/SF Canada Cleveland Cavaliers UNLV (Fr.)
2 Victor Oladipo SG/PG USA Orlando Magic Indiana (Jr.)
3 Otto Porter SF USA Washington Wizards Georgetown (So.)
4 Cody Zeller PF/C USA Charlotte Bobcats Indiana (So.)
5 Alex Len C Ukraine Phoenix Suns Maryland (So.)
6 Nerlens Noel# C USA New Orleans Pelicans (traded to Philadelphia)[A] Kentucky (Fr.)
7 Ben McLemore SG USA Sacramento Kings Kansas (Fr.)
8 Kentavious Caldwell-Pope SG USA Detroit Pistons Georgia (So.)
9 Trey Burke PG USA Minnesota Timberwolves (traded to Utah) Michigan (So.)
10 C.J. McCollum PG/SG USA Portland Trail Blazers Lehigh (Sr.)

5 Sophomores, 3 Freshman, 1 Junior, 1 Senior

This is why the college basketball game has suffered. The NBA isn't getting finished products entering the league. In 1994, 1 underclassmen left really early and it was Jason Kidd who was a special talent nowadays 8 out of the 10 picks are Freshman/Sophomores and not many of them are contributing as rookies.

The players have the right to leave early, but the NBA is having to develop these guys on the practice rather them playing in college.
And I think it's one reason the NBA game has suffered too. The one and done rule has helped to weed out some of the guys that weren't ready. I think a two year rule would help even a bit more.

And I think it's one reason the NBA game has suffered too. The one and done rule has helped to weed out some of the guys that weren't ready. I think a two year rule would help even a bit more.
The NBA game hasn't suffered IMO. I think was has happened is the NBA has turned into rich vs. poor league. The teams on top are awesome to watch the top 10 teams are great, the bottom 10 teams are dreadful, and the middle 10 teams can't win a title, but can be fun for stretches.

The draft is supposed to help the bottom teams get better, but because those picks aren't ready to contribute for 2-3 years now it keeps them stuck in mud. Philadelphia in 3 years is going to be really fun to watch same for Boston, but the league is stuck in haves and have not rut. Sometimes I wish the NBA would allow players to get drafted after the Freshman year of college, but let the player stay in college and retain their rights like the NHL does.

The NBA game hasn't suffered IMO. I think was has happened is the NBA has turned into rich vs. poor league. The teams on top are awesome to watch the top 10 teams are great, the bottom 10 teams are dreadful, and the middle 10 teams can't win a title, but can be fun for stretches.

The draft is supposed to help the bottom teams get better, but because those picks aren't ready to contribute for 2-3 years now it keeps them stuck in mud. Philadelphia in 3 years is going to be really fun to watch same for Boston, but the league is stuck in haves and have not rut. Sometimes I wish the NBA would allow players to get drafted after the Freshman year of college, but let the player stay in college and retain their rights like the NHL does.
I think it hurt it for a while, but we've seen it bounce back recently. The Lebron, Melo, Wade draft class was a good one and that helped, but I think the one and done rule has also contributed.

I think it hurt it for a while, but we've seen it bounce back recently. The Lebron, Melo, Wade draft class was a good one and that helped, but I think the one and done rule has also contributed.
One and done rule is a freaking joke. The kids that want to go one and done shouldn't go to college let the NBA should have an NBDL draft every May and kids who don't want to go to college can be drafted by the NBDL. The NBA would get a chance to scout these kids in that league and they could play in the summer thru the winter. The summer is only occupied by MLB and if the NBA had the NBDL go from June till December NBA fans who needed a fix may watch a NBDL game if it was on during the summer and nothing else was on TV.

The 1 and done rule has hurt college basketball. I just wonder if the Grant Hill, Jason Kidd, Paul Pierce, Rashard Wallace, Allen Iverson, Vince Carter's of the world would all be 1 and dones nowadays. All of these players stayed atleast 2 years in college and all have made over 100 million dollars in their careers.

Part of the NBA's problem is that tanking isn't a quick-fix. Lots of people loved what Ainge did in getting rid of KG and Pierce for picks, but what type of player will Boston get if the Nets remain a playoff team(and if they trade Rondo this summer)? Are they just repeating Pitino's plan back in the 90s? I'm sure some people remember when the Celtics tanked for Duncan and ended up with Billups/Mercer and went nowhere fast.

The NBA doesn't seem to care since they are making tons of money, but it's also a copycat league and what Houston is doing with their D-League team could change some things rather quickly. The D-League might become a true developmental league for teams where they put players into their system with coaches they hire. I also think letting teams maintain draft rights as they did when Boston picked Bird, would stop some of the one and done and benefit players and teams.

Full_Rebar said:
Parker has a very good chance to be the #1 pick...he's not coming back. There is no reason to worry about seeing him back at Duke next year- both he and Hood are gone.
The no. 1 pick plays at Kansas but Parker is top 5 for sure. He'd be crazy to come back. Got a Jared sullinger-ness to his game

Not just they aren't ready to contribute for 2-3 years, but also, the younger you draft them, the more likely you whiff on an evaluation.

Part of the NBA's problem is that tanking isn't a quick-fix. Lots of people loved what Ainge did in getting rid of KG and Pierce for picks, but what type of player will Boston get if the Nets remain a playoff team(and if they trade Rondo this summer)? Are they just repeating Pitino's plan back in the 90s? I'm sure some people remember when the Celtics tanked for Duncan and ended up with Billups/Mercer and went nowhere fast.

The NBA doesn't seem to care since they are making tons of money, but it's also a copycat league and what Houston is doing with their D-League team could change some things rather quickly. The D-League might become a true developmental league for teams where they put players into their system with coaches they hire. I also think letting teams maintain draft rights as they did when Boston picked Bird, would stop some of the one and done and benefit players and teams.
Boston will reap the rewards of the KG/Pierce trade from 2016-2018. When Brooklyn will be in salary cap hell with the Joe Johnson, Deron Williams contracts, and Boston will have Brooklyn's unprotected 2016 and 2018 picks and the ability to swap places with them in 2017. Brooklyn was going all in these next 2 years and Boston knew it wouldn't compete for a Championship so they traded them while they could get value.

The NBA has become the rich vs poor. The NBA doesn't have shocking champions outside of the 2004 Detroit Pistons every champion since 1991 hasn't been that shocking. 1991-1993 Bulls, 1994-95 Rockets, 1996-1998 Bulls, 1999 Spurs, 2000-2002 Lakers, 2003 Spurs, 2004 Pistons, 2005 Spurs, 2006 Heat, 2007 Spurs, 2008 Celtics, 2009-10 Lakers, 2011 Mavericks, 2012-13 Heat.

NBA has had 8 different championship franchises in 23 years(CHI,HOU,SA,LAL,DET,MIA,BOS,DAL)
NHL has had 13 different championship franchises in 23 years(PIT, MTL,NYR,NJ,COL,DET,DAL,TB,CAR,ANA,CHI,BOS,LA)
NFL has had 14 different championship franchises in 23 years (NYG,WASH,DAL,SF,GB,DEN,STL,BALT,NE,TB,PITT,INDY,NO,SEA)
MLB has had 12 different championship franchises in 23 years( MIN, TOR, ATL, NYY, FLO, ARI, ANA, BOS, CHISOX, STL, PHI, SF)

The NBA has always been a rich vs poor league compared to the other sports its just the draft has become younger and younger and has killed the middle class growth potential from a year to year basis. You need to strike it rich in the draft a la Indiana Pacers, Oklahoma City or build thru FA a la Houston Rockets or Miami Heat or mix and match Los Angeles Clippers.

I was gonna say, the NBA hasn't become a rich vs poor league. It's pretty much the nature of the sport. The best players have a huge impact on who wins, and a best of 7 is a pretty big sample in basketball, compared to baseball, where the SP changes every day and th at has a huge impact on who wins.

Though I'd disagree a little, the 2011 Mavs were pretty shocking.

One and done rule is a freaking joke. The kids that want to go one and done shouldn't go to college let the NBA should have an NBDL draft every May and kids who don't want to go to college can be drafted by the NBDL. The NBA would get a chance to scout these kids in that league and they could play in the summer thru the winter. The summer is only occupied by MLB and if the NBA had the NBDL go from June till December NBA fans who needed a fix may watch a NBDL game if it was on during the summer and nothing else was on TV.

The 1 and done rule has hurt college basketball. I just wonder if the Grant Hill, Jason Kidd, Paul Pierce, Rashard Wallace, Allen Iverson, Vince Carter's of the world would all be 1 and dones nowadays. All of these players stayed atleast 2 years in college and all have made over 100 million dollars in their careers.
I'm not denying the one and done has hurt college basketball, but it was getting hurt when so many kids started jumping straight from high school too. Even if it has hurt college, it has helped the NBA. I think if the NBA thought they could make the NBDL financially viable, they'd expand it, but they obviously don't think it would be.

Some of those guys would've been one and done now. Allen Iverson and Kidd were only around 2 years anyway. I think Iverson would've certainly gone after only one year now. I could see Wallace too, because he was such an athletic big man. I don't know that Grant would've been. He could've easily jumped after his junior year and didn't. I think Carter would've been around until at least his sophomore year because I think he was pretty raw until his junior year as it was and I think the NBA wants a guard to be able to shoot a little.

Weird post. You state your opinion then do a great job using arguments to support the opposite opinion.

I was gonna say, the NBA hasn't become a rich vs poor league. It's pretty much the nature of the sport. The best players have a huge impact on who wins, and a best of 7 is a pretty big sample in basketball, compared to baseball, where the SP changes every day and th at has a huge impact on who wins.

Though I'd disagree a little, the 2011 Mavs were pretty shocking.
If you want to include the 2011 Mavs you can include them I just wasn't shocked they won it all like the Pistons in 04. The Mavs were only 5 games off the best record in the NBA and the Spurs got bounced first round. You can call it an upset championship I guess, but I felt Dirk was still a top 10 player in the league at that time and the NBA was wide open because of Lebron and the Heat being in their first year together.

Weird post. You state your opinion then do a great job using arguments to support the opposite opinion.
Watch Golden State play Dallas on Tuesday night that game was awesome. The problem with the NBA is that a lot of franchises are being run by analytical people who realize its better to be 26-56 than 36-46 and a borderline playoff team. Thus, you have 10 great teams, 5-6 middle class teams, and basically the entire Eastern conference outside of Miami, Indiana, Chicago, Brooklyn which are honestly crap teams. Phoenix which is in 9th place in the West would be the 3 seed in the East.

The NBA game is a fine product if you watching good teams play. I just think watching Boston vs. Orlando or Utah vs. LA Lakers is a little rough. If the NBA Draft wasn't full of 19-20 yr old kids who aren't ready for NBA rotations the league would be better. The NBA draft has turned into the MLB draft you are drafting prospects for the future instead of immediate help.

The NBA should be able to look at the NFL and see how the NFL Draft helps drive their offseason and most of the fans know the top NFL draft prospects because they have developed in college, but the NBA draft doesn't do the same thing because these Freshman/Sophomores are coming out because they want to get paid to develop. I have no problem with the kids leaving early it is just hurting the NBA's lower classes ability to turn it around faster.

Watch Golden State play Dallas on Tuesday night that game was awesome. The problem with the NBA is that a lot of franchises are being run by analytical people who realize its better to be 26-56 than 36-46 and a borderline playoff team. Thus, you have 10 great teams, 5-6 middle class teams, and basically the entire Eastern conference outside of Miami, Indiana, Chicago, Brooklyn which are honestly crap teams. Phoenix which is in 9th place in the West would be the 3 seed in the East.

The NBA game is a fine product if you watching good teams play. I just think watching Boston vs. Orlando or Utah vs. LA Lakers is a little rough. If the NBA Draft wasn't full of 19-20 yr old kids who aren't ready for NBA rotations the league would be better. The NBA draft has turned into the MLB draft you are drafting prospects for the future instead of immediate help.

The NBA should be able to look at the NFL and see how the NFL Draft helps drive their offseason and most of the fans know the top NFL draft prospects because they have developed in college, but the NBA draft doesn't do the same thing because these Freshman/Sophomores are coming out because they want to get paid to develop. I have no problem with the kids leaving early it is just hurting the NBA's lower classes ability to turn it around faster.
One of the key factors as to why the NFL is king of pro sports is the fact that going into the Fall every fan can have legitimate hope that their team has a chance to contend for at least the playoffs if not win the entire thing. Not so with the NBA.

Why? Well, I'll use your own statement: "The draft is supposed to help the bottom teams get better, but because those picks aren't ready to contribute for 2-3 years now it keeps them stuck in mud."

Hence why early entry is bad for basketball at all levels.

Look at all the HS kids who came into the league from 1995 to 2005. Most of them actually have become decent players. I think the 1 and done rule should go away and if Danny Ainge loves Robert Swift let him waste a lottery pick on the guy and lose his job for it.

Kevin Garnett

Kobe Bryant*
Jermaine O'Neal*

Tracy McGrady*

Al Harrington
Rashard Lewis+
Korleone Young

Jonathan Bender
Leon Smith

Darius Miles
DeShawn Stevenson

Kwame Brown
Tyson Chandler*
Eddy Curry
DeSagana Diop

Ousmane Cisse#

Amar'e Stoudemire*

LeBron James*
Travis Outlaw
Ndudi Ebi
Kendrick Perkins
James Lang
Dwight Howard*
Shaun Livingston
Robert Swift
Sebastian Telfair
Al Jefferson
Josh Smith
J. R. Smith
Dorell Wright

Martell Webster
Andrew Bynum+
Gerald Green
C. J. Miles
Ricky Sánchez#
Monta Ellis
Louis Williams
Andray Blatche
Amir Johnson

Last edited:
. The NBA isn't getting finished products entering the league.
because of the top heavy salary structure, the NBA doesn't need finished products nearly as much as it needs cheap labor. in the meantime, those young draftees and UFAs who have the skill, dedication and work ethic will develop within the pro system; those who don't, won't. and it doesn't matter how many flame out, because there is a new crop harvested every year.

I'm sorry but if you're a Top 3 pick and you go back to college, something is wrong with you. It's not a smart move.

because of the top heavy salary structure, the NBA doesn't need finished products nearly as much as it needs cheap labor. in the meantime, those young draftees and UFAs who have the skill, dedication and work ethic will develop within the pro system; those who don't, won't. and it doesn't matter how many flame out, because there is a new crop harvested every year.
This is from ESPN Insider right now in an article about this year's rookie class being one of the weakest of all-time. 6 of the top 10 picks from last year have negative WARP(Wins above Replacement player) Here is an link describing WARP to people who don't understand it. WARP LINK
These rookies are supposed to be the reward for the bottom teams to get better and 6 of the top 10 and a 7th is out for the season have NEGATIVE affects on their team this season. Which means the draft is not doing what it is supposed to do which is not give cheap labor, but give the worst teams the best spots for new talent.
Lottery WARP
1 Anthony Bennett -1.5
2 Victor Oladipo 1.9
3 Otto Porter -0.9
4 Cody Zeller 0.3
5 Alex Len -0.6
6 Nerlens Noel -
7 Ben McLemore -2.7
8 Kentavious Caldwell-Pope -1.0
9 Trey Burke 0.9
10 C.J. McCollum -0.6

There's just going to be a lot less parity in basketball than football regardless of how long guys go to college.