Jacksonville | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Jacksonville

He is spot on and to piggyback a little on this. I say go where you're going to play. You're there to get a degree, so you might as well play and not sit. Does it make sense to go to a school with 60 kids and 5 or 6 goalies? I encourage kids to look around, look at low level D2 and mid range/low D3 schools for the reasons he states plus the playing time. (the high end D3 schools are notorious for having bloated rosters.) St John Fisher has a billion kids. Sage has 30.

You take a D3 school, whatever floats your boat, if they want you to play for them, they will get you through admissions and they will get you every penny in financial aid that is possible and if you have good grades 85+, 90+ they will throw all the available academic money at you they can. I think they make it up sometimes. It ends up being a lot of money. And the bonus is, if you can play, you're going to play and probably play as a freshman. A lower end school who has a good player interested will jump through hoops.

D2 schools get like 10.2 scholarship or whatever. I think kids average about 3K a year in athletic scholarship money. There are a lot of D2 schools down south if someone wants it and these schools will throw thousands at you in financial aid and merit based academic aid as well (same as the D3 schools). So it adds up with the extra 3 in athletic money. Plus have a better chance at PT. Look at D2 schools in the south who field football teams. They have money. Is Limestone or Lenoir Rhyne realistic? probably not, but schools like Tusculum are and Flagler is a startup. There are a couple dozen schools like this, maybe more. Who cares how bad they are, you're there to get a degree. And if you're good, shoot you might start all four years and be All Conference. Same holds true for the low D3 and the bonus is maybe turn a program around. They love northern lacrosse players.

From a recruiting standpoint, if you're not playing for the elite clubs, the 'normal' player who wants to get recruited, it becomes a grassroots effort. You need to make film and email all the coaches at the schools you're interested in. Fill out their recruiting questionnaire and then follow that up with the email. Tell the coaches why you're interested in 'Nazareth', what you want to study (don't tell them a degree they don't have even if the kid doesn't know what he wants just pick one from their list or programs), tell them your grades, attach your film and tell them where they can watch you play. If you know XYZ coach will be at the Orange Crush showcase you need to email them and tell them you'll be at the event. Tell them you'll be at their prospect day. Send them your summer event schedule and when you know the game times and field #s follow up with that information as well. You have to really sell yourself. D1, D2, D3 level (which by the way is loaded with great lacrosse players.) Most people don't know how to make this effort but it's what you have to do to make it happen.

For the NY'rs out there schools like Western Connecticut State (WestConn) and Castleton College in Vermont charge state tuition for NY residents. Castleton might be regional NY residents but still. Who knew? I only found out when their coaches were hitting me up about players.
Thanks man, this is all GREAT stuff!

I'm fortunate, my son is really self-motivated. The only reason he's done any showcases, prospect days, had contact with coaches, etc., is because he orchestrated it. Honestly, the process has really helped him mature, so it has been great regardless of the outcome.

His high school team's goalie coach last year was actually a recent grad who was going to play at Limestone. But he got hurt there his frosh year and had to come home. They've gotten really tight and he's helped my son a ton in terms of telling him the things you mentioned.

To me, this has all been fun and exciting. I think it helps that we have appropriate expectations. We know he's not going to SU to play goalie, and my kid would much rather go somewhere he can play than sit at a more "prestigious" program. We're also fortunate that his club is run by a former SU guy (John Matthews) who we're family friends with and knows everybody in the sport. His HS coach is similar. So we're getting good guidance.

He is spot on and to piggyback a little on this. I say go where you're going to play. You're there to get a degree, so you might as well play and not sit. Does it make sense to go to a school with 60 kids and 5 or 6 goalies? I encourage kids to look around, look at low level D2 and mid range/low D3 schools for the reasons he states plus the playing time. (the high end D3 schools are notorious for having bloated rosters.) St John Fisher has a billion kids. Sage has 30.

You take a D3 school, whatever floats your boat, if they want you to play for them, they will get you through admissions and they will get you every penny in financial aid that is possible and if you have good grades 85+, 90+ they will throw all the available academic money at you they can. I think they make it up sometimes. It ends up being a lot of money. And the bonus is, if you can play, you're going to play and probably play as a freshman. A lower end school who has a good player interested will jump through hoops.

D2 schools get like 10.2 scholarship or whatever. I think kids average about 3K a year in athletic scholarship money. There are a lot of D2 schools down south if someone wants it and these schools will throw thousands at you in financial aid and merit based academic aid as well (same as the D3 schools). So it adds up with the extra 3 in athletic money. Plus have a better chance at PT.

Look at D2 schools (or D3) in the south who field football teams. They have money. Is Limestone or Lenoir Rhyne realistic? probably not, but schools like Tusculum are and Flagler is a startup. There are several dozen D2 schools like this, maybe more. Who cares how bad they are, you're there to get a degree. And if you're good, shoot you might start all four years and be All Conference. Same holds true for the low D3 and the bonus is maybe turn a program around. They love northern lacrosse players.

From a recruiting standpoint, if you're not playing for the elite clubs, the 'normal' player who wants to get recruited, it becomes a grassroots effort. You need to make film and email all the coaches at the schools you're interested in (get their emails off their website. Address the Head coach and CC the assistants.) Fill out their recruiting questionnaire and then follow that up with the email. Introduce yourself, where you're from, tell the coaches why you're interested in 'Nazareth', what you want to study (don't tell them a degree they don't have, even if the kid doesn't know what he wants just pick one from their list or programs), tell them your grades, your position, maybe some stats, attach your film and tell them where they can watch you play. If you know XYZ coach will be at the Orange Crush showcase you need to email them and tell them you'll be at the event. Tell them you'll be at their prospect day. Send them your summer event schedule and when you know the game times and field #s follow up with that information as well. You have to really sell yourself. D1, D2, D3 level (which by the way is loaded with great lacrosse players.) Most people don't know how to make this effort but it's what you have to do to make it happen.

For the NY'rs out there schools like Western Connecticut State (WestConn) and Castleton College in Vermont charge state tuition for NY residents. Castleton might be regional NY residents but still. Who knew? I only found out when their coaches were hitting me up about players. Do your research.
This is great stuff!! My son is a '27 goalie who wants to play in college if he can, but that's a few years from now so who knows. It's funny you mentioned D2 schools in the south. My brother in law coaches wrestling at Newberry College in SC. They started lax a few years ago with a Canadian coach who gets most of his kids from up north. Will be nice to have a connection there if my son is interested.

This is great stuff!! My son is a '27 goalie who wants to play in college if he can, but that's a few years from now so who knows. It's funny you mentioned D2 schools in the south. My brother in law coaches wrestling at Newberry College in SC. They started lax a few years ago with a Canadian coach who gets most of his kids from up north. Will be nice to have a connection there if my son is interested.
Reading these comments brings it all back and reminds me of a story. I was spending a good chunk of dough for my son who is now a player at a lower level D1 program.

As someone who was close friends to the club director and has been around the game since childhood I still got sucked into some shitty situations. His club was worth the expense which 4 years ago was around 1400 for 3 summer tournaments and 10 or so practices and focused on development.

My son decided to try and pick up some extra exposure (many high level kids go on from our area to also play for Sweetlax which he wasn't interested in) so he hooked up with this LI mercenary club. No practices just the highest level tournaments (at around $400 per). We show up to one at UDelaware there were like 40 kids there on the team including several who had just graduated (summer of 2018) my kid was a 2020 on a 2020 team. Of the kids who graduated, 1 pole is currently a pre-season 1st team AA as a Sr and a midfielder that showed up is a multi year starter/Sr in the IVY. It was insane and sad but a little comical. Needless to say that was the last my kid played for them.

Need to be careful and selective, sometime club ball isn't worth it and you need to be very mindful of managing the amount the kids are playing. My son who coaches/trains kids now would tell them find a place where you can play and have fun, enjoy the college experience. D1 can suck the fun out of it.

It’s amazing some of these college programs even exist. I know the transitive property doesn’t completely apply to sports and game scores, but in just the last week …

D2 Davis & Elkins (WV) lost by 4 to D2 Shorter who lost by a goal at home to D3 Oglethorpe who then lost by more than 20 to D3 Piedmont who just lost by 17 today to D3 Birmingham Southern (coached by a Westchester Co native).

For reference, Birmingham Southern lost last year at home against Ithaca by 8 ( who finished in the middle of the Liberty).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom