Jaguars vs. Texans. Marrone gets big road win in Houston 29-7 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jaguars vs. Texans. Marrone gets big road win in Houston 29-7

I was/am a huge Marrone fan, he was a great hire for SU, the best since coach P imo. Gerg took the program into the abyss and Marrone, in a relatively short amount of time, rescued it and brought it back to respectability. Really, that feat was miraculous in and of itself coming out of the Mariana Trench. After crushing WVA in that last Pinstripe Bowl, I hadn't felt that good about the football program since the McNabb days. Unfortunately, that feeling didn't last, as shortly thereafter he had shuffled off to Buffalo.

Maybe he would've stayed if the powers that be at that time weren't so hell bent on spending any coin to improve the facilities. It wasn't until after he left when SU began to improve the much needed facility upgrades and additions. In my opinion, had he not left, along with all these recent upgrades, we'd be in the top 25 today.

Just as the Browns once had a winner in Belichick, SU had in Marrone.
The Orange and the Browns are kind of fellow travelers for too long now.

The Orange and the Browns are kind of fellow travelers for too long now.

Indeed! I'm the poster boy for "just wait til next year!" At least that's what my therapist tells me. ;):)

He only won because he was playing with the guys Greg Robinson drafted....

He only won because he was playing with the guys Greg Robinson drafted...

It's difficult to give your comment any credence when you refer to 'drafted' in college football. Sure wish them Browns could recruit better in the NFL. ;)

It's difficult to give your comment any credence when you refer to 'drafted' in college football. Sure wish them Browns could recruit better in the NFL. ;)

You didn't get the joke, I think. The emoji is throwing me off.

He showed at SU and at Buffalo that he's a good judge of talent. And, oddly, he brings good defense with him wherever he goes. He just didn't excel at recruiting.
He's forgiven, but I sure wish he had taken his dream job further before bailing on us.

Totally agree with everything. I can't believe people don't appreciate him winning 8 games on 2 occasions, not to mention doing it in year 2, after what we saw the last 4 years, as well as the 8 years before that.

I do disagree that he didn't excel at recruiting. Sure he didn't like it, but that doesn't mean he did a bad job. He may not have brought in super athletes, but he was great at identifying kids that would excel in his system. He also had a strategy that was going to require a few years before we saw fruition. I think we were just about to start to reap the rewards of the groundwork he laid. I have said it on here countless times, but that last class he was putting together was going to be exceptional. He wasn't throwing darts at guys like Shafer did for the most part. He had a plan, and executed it, despite the piss poor facilities he had the first 3 years he was here. When you think back it was really amazing he was able to do as well as he did looking at what he had to deal with. His 3 classes were pre renovations and pre ACC. Given what Shafer and now Babers has to work with, i'm sure Doug would have been just fine in that area too.

Marrone's got a decent chance to have his career record as an NFL HC on the right side of .500 by season's end. Considering tenures with the Bills and Jaguars, that ain't bad.

Totally agree with everything. I can't believe people don't appreciate him winning 8 games on 2 occasions, not to mention doing it in year 2, after what we saw the last 4 years, as well as the 8 years before that.

I do disagree that he didn't excel at recruiting. Sure he didn't like it, but that doesn't mean he did a bad job. He may not have brought in super athletes, but he was great at identifying kids that would excel in his system. He also had a strategy that was going to require a few years before we saw fruition. I think we were just about to start to reap the rewards of the groundwork he laid. I have said it on here countless times, but that last class he was putting together was going to be exceptional. He wasn't throwing darts at guys like Shafer did for the most part. He had a plan, and executed it, despite the piss poor facilities he had the first 3 years he was here. When you think back it was really amazing he was able to do as well as he did looking at what he had to deal with. His 3 classes were pre renovations and pre ACC. Given what Shafer and now Babers has to work with, i'm sure Doug would have been just fine in that area too.

That 2nd year is a gift in scheduling heaven that Shafer or Babers didn't get. It featured 1 ranked team, 2 FCS schools.

But the overall point remains - he was a good coach who left too soon thanks to the combo of bad leadership above him and his own personality quirks (being nice).

I have gotten over my anger.

I wish he had stayed but that's history.

I am rooting for Doug Marrone - I have always felt that he was an outstanding coach.

I wish him, Tom Coughlin and the Jags great success.
had marrone stayed our rebuilding would have been over---he did much with not much.

Marrone is a really good HC. He also brought the best group of assistant coaches with him that SU had in a long time. His assistants were great coaches and that makes a huge difference, IMO. They needed great teachers of the game to coach up the lack of talent until we could recruit better players. Wish he had stayed, but I can't blame him for going to coach in the NFL. Wish him nothing but the best and will always root for him.

Marrone's got a decent chance to have his career record as an NFL HC on the right side of .500 by season's end. Considering tenures with the Bills and Jaguars, that ain't bad.
Rex Ryan had a better record as Buffalo's coach than Marrone did.

Rex Ryan had a better record as Buffalo's coach than Marrone did.
Not really. Rex was fired so didn't get a chance to lose his last game. They were both essentially 15-7 However, Marrone went from 6 wins before he started to 9 wins his 2nd year. Rex went from 9 wins of his predecessor to 8 and then 7 wins. All downhill for Rex.

One thing I ALWAYS was confident of with Marrone at the helm- we would have a game plan in place that would give us the best chance to win. Did I love his in game management and conservative philosophy? No.

Hopefully he has learned from his last stop with Buffalo and will be more aggressive with the Jags...or, as aggressive as one can be with Bortles at the helm.

Not really. Rex was fired so didn't get a chance to lose his last game. They were both essentially 15-7 However, Marrone went from 6 wins before he started to 9 wins his 2nd year. Rex went from 9 wins of his predecessor to 8 and then 7 wins. All downhill for Rex.
Not to mention that under Marone, Buffalo had one of the best defenses in the NFL. Not so under Rex.

Rex was fired for a reason. But let's not pretend Marrone was any better. He beat the Patriots backups to get to *9 wins in 2014.
Not to mention that under Marone, Buffalo had one of the best defenses in the NFL. Not so under Rex.
Under Marrone, Buffalo had a good defense (thank you, Mike Pettine and Jim Schwartz) and terrible offense.

Under Rex, Buffalo had a decent offense (thank you, Greg Roman and Anthony Lynn) and pretty bad defense.

Basically mirror images.

Rex was fired for a reason. But let's not pretend Marrone was any better. He beat the Patriots backups to get to *9 wins in 2014.

Under Marrone, Buffalo had a good defense (thank you, Mike Pettine and Jim Schwartz) and terrible offense.

Under Rex, Buffalo had a decent offense (thank you, Greg Roman and Anthony Lynn) and pretty bad defense.

Basically mirror images.
Except one took a 6 win team and won 9 in his last year and one took a 9 win team and won 7 in his last year. Sort of mirror images in that one went up 3 wins and the other went down 2 wins.

Rex sucked.

Basically mirror images.
Well, Marone's defenses at Buffalo were "good" if that's how you describe top 10 (first year) and top 5 (second year). lol.
2014: A year of defensive excellence
Five problems Bills players have with Rex Ryan's defense

At least you agree that the offense was terrible.
Not one of the best in the NFL for sure. I just think Marone's a better coach. He beat Rex head to head. I thought he did more with less on offense at Buffalo than Ryan (loaded offensively but underperformed). And his defenses at Buffalo were just better. Plus I don't like blowhards.

Not one of the best in the NFL for sure. I just think Marone's a better coach. He beat Rex head to head. I thought he did more with less on offense at Buffalo than Ryan (loaded offensively but underperformed). And his defenses at Buffalo were just better. Plus I don't like blowhards.
Not sure how anyone could possibly say with a straight face Buffalo's offense is "loaded" but okay.

Not sure how anyone could possibly say with a straight face Buffalo's offense is "loaded" but okay.
Loaded is probably not the right word, because Taylor is not an all-world QB. But he's better than EJmanuel that Marone had to work with. And Ryan had plenty of offensive weapons, Goodwin, Harvin, Watkins, Woods. They paid $3M for Clay at TE, an upgrade from Marone's days.

Last edited:
Loaded is probably not the right word, because Taylor is not an all-world QB. But he's better than EJmanuel that Marone had to work with. And Ryan had plenty of offensive weapons, Goodwin, Harvin, Watkins, Woods. They paid $3M for Clay at TE, an upgrade from Marone's days.
Marrone's best QB was Kyle Orton.