Jake Moreland New TE Coach at Syracuse | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Jake Moreland New TE Coach at Syracuse

Really? Recruiting matters more than ever because production won't show that fast. A decent recruiting class and particular high end players, the likes of which come from 7A programs in Florida, have single handedly saved jobs. Just ask Mike London. Next-- if you don't go with an ace recruiter, get someone who coached a position successfully in the past and is known for it. Color me pissed off.

They won't be here to worry about recruiting unless they a much better job coaching THIS season, that's the point.

They won't be here to worry about recruiting unless they a much better job coaching THIS season, that's the point.
Are our TEs blocking for the triple option this year?

Sooo, Moreland can't coach TE's? You know this how?

It never ceases to amaze me how people impulsively over react to such things i.e. the hiring of a TE coach...lol. None of us have any idea what additionally changes will be made after February 4th...or maybe sooner.

You know why dude? It never ceases to amaze me how people can over react to an opinion post without doing any of the work, including even reading the prior posts on this thread. Why is my opinion what it is? Because he's a position coach who no one and I mean no one ever has talked about as being an excellent TE coach. You know why else? Because the Air Force TE's have not been an offensive weapon as long as that guy has been there. That's why. It always amazes me when someone questions people on a message board without first looking at the facts himself. It's slow. It's lazy. It's a lack of effort. Do me the favor of thinking before you post and insinuate I'm wrong. I'm wrong all the time. Just ask my wife. But she does her homework.

I'm now a little less interested in seeing what Tim Lester's offense does, because I fear not only is his promotion not based on past success at the P5 level, which is clear, but further that it is for no other reason than he's a friend and a colleague. And we will all go Dan together. I Don't know if I can hope for the best any longer.

If another coach is leaving and is replaced by a Florida recruiter then I am ok with this hire, but if not.. Well we better kill it in the Midwest
I think you might be on to something.

What a joke.

Anyone can try to justify this hire... but really?

With every passing decision with this program I am being convinced that Scott Shafer will be looking for work sooner rather than later.

the experiment of hcss - is all but over -

- they did nothing before (wmu)so why should we think they will do something now

I was hoping that after a nights sleep I would come back to this and be happy but nope, still shaking my head. I'm wondering if coaches think shafer is a lame duck and they didn't want to come here for one year.

I just don't get how you replace a good florida recruiter with this guy. I Will tell you this. There won't be a Midwestern 2 star kid not on our radar. Putting the bill Walsh 49ers staff back together would be a good idea, thinking the wmu staff needed to be put back together not so good.

GoSU96 said:
Yep, Stoutland and Addazzio have been complete failures.

You won't ever hear me criticize Coach P hires. You know that.

GoSU96 said:
Who gives a crap about recruiting right now. Shafer is on the clock, hopefully this guy can actually coach the position. They don't get some improvement in the offense it just doesn't matter, at least for this crew.

Spot on. Not sure many understand this. Recruiting doesn't mean a damn if this crew doesn't get to a bowl next year.

Spot on. Not sure many understand this. Recruiting doesn't mean a damn if this crew doesn't get to a bowl next year.
This team is not getting to a bowl next year and I wear orange colored glasses. And what part of that hire makes you go yes he's putting us over the top.

Another concern which might be unfounded so someone correct me if it shouldn't be a concern. If we're potentially moving Acosta to WR's, that's a pretty important position that needs a really good coach to be in that position. It's not like our TE's did much last year, not the fault of Acosta but did he improve the TE play so significantly that he's going to be a quality WR coach?
did we even throw a pass to a tight end last year?

I really think he has two years unless he goes 0-for or 1-for. Gross is not going to want a 4th hire and next years schedule is going to play a roll. You have 3 built in losses at the very least and to be perfectly honest I don't think gross and company really care is football is on the map as long as Acc money keeps coming in

Have to believe the iffy status of this staff is not exactly a positive to potential candidates. I'm not too surprised this is the type of guy who gets the job. That, and our notoriously generous budget for assistants-you get what you pay for

Agreed- SS already tried the experiment with an alleged great recruiter/coaching skills suspect. Didn't work out so well-

I hope this all works out, else Shafer & crew will go down like the Edmund Fitzgerald... another Midwestern shipwreck.

Last edited:
It's simple really. It's kind of like "draft grades" by random bloggers.

Not one of you have met this guy. Not one of you has been in his TE meeting room. Not one of you have sat in a living room with him as a pitch has been made to a high school junior. No one knows the quality of coach he is.

It's all speculation.

I'll give you that it's not s sexy hire and that he lacks a natural recruiting area, but c'mon.

Can we give him a chance to actually do his job before we judge the hire?

I recall this the majority of this board hated the Doaust hire a few years back. Bullough was a failed retread. Acosta was just some d3 football coach. McDonald was going to be a savior and Rob Spence was going to light up the Dome.

Why don't we wait a bit until we pass some judgement on a stinking tight ends coach we no next to nothing about.

You guys kill me. So he coaches at a team who's oc is a run first oc and now he can't coach a te. He can't recruit ,the team won ten last year after he has been there for 4 years I'm guessing their ten win season may have had a couple kids he recruited. You guys will never know what you have in this staff. This team had a three win season and is bringing in 4 or 5 states top position players. This coach hasn't even had a chance to have a team he recruited everyone to. This team was better than 3 wins and injuries destroyed a season. You guys kill me...

The reality is none of us knows much about him. To prejudge is just ridiculous . to make a comment about his ability or what kind of hire this is just shows ignorance. Time will tell what kind of coach and recruiter he is. Give the guy a chance. No one was thrilled with Acosta and he turned out to be an excellent hire.
So some of you experts on the topic of college assistant football coaches should stop the negativty when you really know very little about the person or the topic

I think this was a good hire, and I don't get the negativity. (Well, I DO get it, but I DON'T get it). His TE's had pass-catching success at WMU, where they threw the ball. Although the TE's were not integral as receivers in the offense that Air Force runs, they are integral to the success of the offense. Unless you don't think blocking counts, which it certainly does at Air Force.

Air Force recruits nationally and, while the athletes they attract are not generally at the top of the blue-chip chain, they come from schools with loads of blue-chippers. And his team went 10-3 last year. He also played in the NFL.

Seriously, what's the problem? That HCSS knows him? Uh, that's not a good reason...

Last edited:
You guys kill me. So he coaches at a team who's oc is a run first oc and now he can't coach a te. He can't recruit ,the team won ten last year after he has been there for 4 years I'm guessing their ten win season may have had a couple kids he recruited. You guys will never know what you have in this staff. This team had a three win season and is bringing in 4 or 5 states top position players. This coach hasn't even had a chance to have a team he recruited everyone to. This team was better than 3 wins and injuries destroyed a season. You guys kill me...

I am with you on this one Bam.

Truth is, there is almost no hire that wouldn't have been bashed on here by some IMO, unless of course Saban and Meyer decided to take a demotion to a position coach.

Excited to see how the offense is going to change.

EDIT: ALSO fired up to see Shy play...can't wait.

Last edited: