Jake Moreland New TE Coach at Syracuse | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Jake Moreland New TE Coach at Syracuse

Let SS have this hire at this point. If we don't win 6 games next year SS to be relieved of his duties as HC.

The only good was Acosta got a promotion to WR coach and should get a bump in pay for his recruiting. I hope he stays for awhile. Anybody who has any confidence in our ability to have anything more than an offense ranked in 60's next year is an eternal optimist.

SU football is going thru a transition. I wish SS well for the program but I am not optimistic about next year being better than 5-7.

You guys kill me. So he coaches at a team who's oc is a run first oc and now he can't coach a te. He can't recruit ,the team won ten last year after he has been there for 4 years I'm guessing their ten win season may have had a couple kids he recruited. You guys will never know what you have in this staff. This team had a three win season and is bringing in 4 or 5 states top position players. This coach hasn't even had a chance to have a team he recruited everyone to. This team was better than 3 wins and injuries destroyed a season. You guys kill me...

Don't get too riled up with these guys. Most of them campaigned for ERIC WHITE to be the WR coach. In one ear and out the other

From a free blurb...

http://syracuse.At their request, this network is being blocked from this site./story/1505458-syracuse-hires-jake-moreland-as-te-coach?s=185…

"From previous stops, he has recruiting ties to Atlanta, Alabama, the Midwest and Northeast, per a source"

Let SS have this hire at this point. If we don't win 6 games next year SS to be relieved of his duties as HC.

The only good was Acosta got a promotion to WR coach and should get a bump in pay for his recruiting. I hope he stays for awhile. Anybody who has any confidence in our ability to have anything more than an offense ranked in 60's next year is an eternal optimist.

SU football is going thru a transition. I wish SS well for the program but I am not optimistic about next year being better than 5-7.

If we had an offense ranked in the 60's this year, we would have been going bowling. We can only hope there is that much improvement next season. If we have an offense in the 60's, based on how our defense has played under Shafer and Bullough, this entire staff will be back and we will be in a bowl game.

Last edited:
Sooooo, we hired a coach with NFL playing experience, a decade of history coaching the position at places that required him to develop non superstar prospects, who will immediately be on the same page with our new OC due to previous ties... and we're complaining?

You guys kill me. So he coaches at a team who's oc is a run first oc and now he can't coach a te. He can't recruit ,the team won ten last year after he has been there for 4 years I'm guessing their ten win season may have had a couple kids he recruited. You guys will never know what you have in this staff. This team had a three win season and is bringing in 4 or 5 states top position players. This coach hasn't even had a chance to have a team he recruited everyone to. This team was better than 3 wins and injuries destroyed a season. You guys kill me...
Welcome to the fan forum! They are all alike, especially in the off season. However, it is better that fans participate than to ignore the program - then we are really in trouble. Besides, winning cures all ills.

Syracuse University head coach Scott Shafer is adding Jake Moreland to his Orange coaching staff. A 12-year collegiate coaching veteran, Moreland will mentor the Syracuse tight ends and tackles. He has coached tight ends throughout his career. In addition to hiring Moreland, Shafer announced that Tim Lester will continue as Syracuse's offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, Bobby Acosta will now direct the wide receivers and serve as the recruiting coordinator, and Joe Adam will mentor the guards and centers.

http://www.cuse.com/news/2015/1/24/FB_0124154136.aspx?path=football

The guy may be a good TE coach, he might even be great. But IMO, the TE coach has the least impact. TE's spend time with the OL and they spend time with the WR's. To me a dedicated TE coach should be able to recruit. On the surface I don't see "great recruiter". Hope there is something there we don't see. As to winning next year being more important than recruiting, a TE coach hire isn't going to move the needle unless he has other responsibilities we don't know about and TE coach is just the title.

Last edited:
Syracuse University head coach Scott Shafer is adding Jake Moreland to his Orange coaching staff. A 12-year collegiate coaching veteran, Moreland will mentor the Syracuse tight ends and tackles. He has coached tight ends throughout his career. In addition to hiring Moreland, Shafer announced that Tim Lester will continue as Syracuse's offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, Bobby Acosta will now direct the wide receivers and serve as the recruiting coordinator, and Joe Adam will mentor the guards and centers.

http://www.cuse.com/news/2015/1/24/FB_0124154136.aspx?path=football
So, seeing Acosta is recruiting coordinator...I assume that's a role that McDonald had, right? So we had a recruiting coordinator, and have a director of recruiting (White)? I guess I knew that, but it still seems moderately redundant.

If he's the difference for SU getting guys like Pickard and Troy Henderson year-in and year-out, I'm in.

ETA: there's a lot to work with with the WRs. Acosta should be able to get these guys to shine. We talk about GMC as a recruiter, but we've almost entirely been disappointed in how the WRs played the last few years. Should see some improvement there.

So, seeing Acosta is recruiting coordinator...I assume that's a role that McDonald had, right? So we had a recruiting coordinator, and have a director of recruiting (White)? I guess I knew that, but it still seems moderately redundant.

Yes that was MacDonalds' title and White has had his title all along.

Alsacs said:
Let SS have this hire at this point. If we don't win 6 games next year SS to be relieved of his duties as HC. The only good was Acosta got a promotion to WR coach and should get a bump in pay for his recruiting. I hope he stays for awhile. Anybody who has any confidence in our ability to have anything more than an offense ranked in 60's next year is an eternal optimist. SU football is going thru a transition. I wish SS well for the program but I am not optimistic about next year being better than 5-7.

Yeah - we won't be going 5-7 with a offense in the 60's IF our defense is top 35.

This could end up being a really good hire. The fact that Acosta is moving back to his comfort zone in coaching the WRs is a good development. Further, he is now the recruiting coordinator, which is fantastic. Lester was holding down that job before, but will have his hands full trying to develop this offense.

At the end of the day, everyone (myself included) would love to see us make a splash in hiring a good, young stud coach from fertile recruiting grounds; however, we have to trust Shafer's choice here. It is his responsibility to win games, and if Moreland can help us do that, well then it's a win-win.

Rumors have it that this guy has been very well-received already by the recruits/players on campus.

I recall this the majority of this board hated the Doaust hire a few years back. Bullough was a failed retread. Acosta was just some d3 football coach. McDonald was going to be a savior and Rob Spence was going to light up the Dome.

Why don't we wait a bit until we pass some judgement on a stinking tight ends coach we no next to nothing about.

A voice of reason, thanks CIL. Even though I thought Rocco made sense for this program, we don't know what Moreland brings to the table...yet.

One thing does seem very clear to me - SS's is entrusting a great of his fate as HC in Tim Lester.

Yes that was MacDonalds' title and White has had his title all along.
Yeah, I knew that's been White's title, I guess I'd just forgotten that McDonald was recruiting coordinator, also.

This team is not getting to a bowl next year and I wear orange colored glasses. And what part of that hire makes you go yes he's putting us over the top.
getting 6 wins next year is not that difficult with a 3-1 non conference record need only 3 in conference

Yeah, I knew that's been White's title, I guess I'd just forgotten that McDonald was recruiting coordinator, also.

Well now I am questioning my memory. Rocco says that was Lesters title but I thought it was MacDonald.

lester and shafer must be picking up the florida recruiting if we are not hiring or changing rb coach

getting 6 wins next year is not that difficult with a 3-1 non conference record need only 3 in conference

And what 3 teams from the conference will be "not that difficult" to beat?