Jalen Carey...what gives?! | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Jalen Carey...what gives?!

Right now there is only 1 situation where having JC on the floor makes sense -- full court trunk monkey where he can take full advantage of his athleticism and lateral quickness. Otherwise he's a suspect shooter and ball-handler.

This thread makes me uneasy, so I'll get in while I still can...

I saw enough of Carey early on to believe he will be a very good scorer, an elite defender at the top of the zone, and an excellent rebounder from his position, as well as a guard who will be able to push the tempo when asked to do so.

Is he capable of doing all that consistently right now? Probably not, but he really doesn't have to now that Howard has returned to form and Buddy is giving this team productive minutes. But I still contend we will see Carey make some critical contributions before this season is over.
I, too, see JC as an excellent, exciting, player. However, I feel Buddy's skill set is a better fit chemistry-wise for this years team. I really like the Battle/Buddy combo. I've been higher at Battle at pg than most.

I am trying to break it to people that it's over for JC this year. This is no longer development time. Last third of the season, big games the rest of the way. And the Battle/Buddy combo is still improving/developing - any game time given to JC comes at the expense of the Buddy/Battle improvement. I clearly see the reason JB would choose to invest in the B/B combo.

IMO, JC is next years pg. I hope he sees it and responds appropriately. If he's the competitor I think he is, he will.

Very few PG's are ready for primetime as freshmen.

Besides his ball handling issues, he has a tendency to be too static at the top of the zone and not probe the perimeter for open passing lanes like Frankie does well...

He'll get better with time most likely - his time will come.

Now that Frank's close to full strength, it's no surprise his minutes have waned.

hes not even getting the 2 pm local slot

I, too, see JC as an excellent, exciting, player. However, I feel Buddy's skill set is a better fit chemistry-wise for this years team. I really like the Battle/Buddy combo. I've been higher at Battle at pg than most.

I am trying to break it to people that it's over for JC this year. This is no longer development time. Last third of the season, big games the rest of the way. And the Battle/Buddy combo is still improving/developing - any game time given to JC comes at the expense of the Buddy/Battle improvement. I clearly see the reason JB would choose to invest in the B/B combo.

IMO, JC is next years pg. I hope he sees it and responds appropriately. If he's the competitor I think he is, he will.
He's just an injury, or foul trouble, or ineffectiveness from our other freshman guard away from being needed this season, and I'm sure the staff is keeping him ready.

Much of the time he is sitting next to JB. What better tutor could he have to be ready to play.

He's just an injury, or foul trouble, or ineffectiveness from our other freshman guard away from being needed this season, and I'm sure the staff is keeping him ready.
Ineffectiveness? No. I understand this can be difficult for some, but JC is the 4th guard. The competition is closed, we're in the final third of the season.

Odds are <4% that JC will see over 5 minutes in any remaining game this season.

Ineffectiveness? No. I understand this can be difficult for some, but JC is the 4th guard. The competition is closed, we're in the final third of the season.

Odds are <4% that JC will see over 5 minutes in any remaining game this season.
This isn't difficult, but you're choosing to be difficult about it for some reason. You know full well how quickly things can change and how unpredictable this sport can be. And where you got that 4% figure is beyond me.

I am not positive, but he posted a huge leg tattoo on his thigh right before his recent benching. I am not an expert, but I do not see how anyone would be able to play basketball within a week of getting that tattoo
It bothers you for a day if that. The size of the tattoo doesn't really matter a whole lot, that's just more ink. And when it does bother you a little lotion fixes it pretty quick.

Don't get this. There's higher profile freshman at other schools playing less than him. Villanova for example.

Someone's going to transfer and not play another year? Kiss your NBA aspirations goodbye.

Not sure I understand...There’s been guys in the NBA who transferred. Plenty.

Apologies if this has been discussed already- haven’t kept up as much as i should have.
But i remember Carey playing like a typical frosh- good one play, What?!?) the next, but with tons of upside.
He’s shown he has talent. Is he hurt? Any reason as to why JB shut him down? Serious question.
oh trust me I've been wondering about this and a little bit worried about what he might do in the off-season

Apologies if this has been discussed already- haven’t kept up as much as i should have.
But i remember Carey playing like a typical frosh- good one play, What?!?) the next, but with tons of upside.
He’s shown he has talent. Is he hurt? Any reason as to why JB shut him down? Serious question.

His upside is undeniable.

I think the reason he's not playing much is that the team can't afford to lose any 'should win' games because the OOC record was such a disaster. This team doesn't blow anybody out, so one of his freshman mistakes could cost us a game. No margin for error.

Buddy is the safer bet because he plays the zone well (Carey does too) and just shoots. When you're primarily a spot up shooter, there isn't a ton you can screw up. Not a knock on Buddy at all.

This isn't difficult, but you're choosing to be difficult about it for some reason. You know full well how quickly things can change and how unpredictable this sport can be. And where you got that 4% figure is beyond me.
Difficult in that it will probably be disappointing to a lot of people.. Many, like the OP, would like to see JC - he's an exciting player- but it probably won't happen.

I tried to think what the odds would be to set expectations. JC is the 4th guard in the last third of the season. MCW didn't see a lot of time, I don't expect JC to.

His upside is undeniable.

I think the reason he's not playing much is that the team can't afford to lose any 'should win' games because the OOC record was such a disaster. This team doesn't blow anybody out, so one of his freshman mistakes could cost us a game. No margin for error.

Buddy is the safer bet because he plays the zone well (Carey does too) and just shoots. When you're primarily a spot up shooter, there isn't a ton you can screw up. Not a knock on Buddy at all.

Agree. This combined with the fact that JB's 'comfort zone' when it comes to his rotation, especially in conference type affairs/crunch stages of the season, etc., has mostly been 7 guys. And, by 7, I'm referring to players that see 'meaningful' minutes when the game is still in question, 2nd halves of games, etc.

carey turns the ball over too much to justify playing at PG. especially with how they're using ty at the point for extended periods.

the only reason buddy is getting more minutes than him is due to shooting. we need to have shooter to come in when teams are playing zone against us.

carey will be fine i think our fans are being too impatient with him. give him time.
I'll give him all the time he needs. I'm just worried he might get frustrated and want to transfer in the offseason possible. I mean I don't think he'll do that but I'm sure he thought when he got here he was going to play a lot and now he's not so I just don't want him to make a mistake

I'll give him all the time he needs. I'm just worried he might get frustrated and want to transfer in the offseason possible. I mean I don't think she'll do that but I'm sure he thought when you got here he was going to play a lot and now he's not so I just don't want him to make a mistake
If he is so frustrated that he decides to transfer and sit out a year in an effort to get to the NBA as quickly as possible, well...

I'll give him all the time he needs. I'm just worried he might get frustrated and want to transfer in the offseason possible. I mean I don't think he'll do that but I'm sure he thought when he got here he was going to play a lot and now he's not so I just don't want him to make a mistake

Entering with a senior PG and a junior who is the best player on the team in front of him should have let him know he wasn't going to play "a lot" but your point is totally valid. I wonder if his frustration level is high because instead of "some" minutes he's now getting zero minutes. It's extremely likely that he has been told exactly what he needs to do to get minutes (hit shots and don't turn the ball over). He needs to figure out how to do that.

That being said, I look at his face and I wonder if he is rethinking his options as well.

Entering with a senior PG and a junior who is the best player on the team in front of him should have let him know he wasn't going to play "a lot" but your point is totally valid. I wonder if his frustration level is high because instead of "some" minutes he's now getting zero minutes. It's extremely likely that he has been told exactly what he needs to do to get minutes (hit shots and don't turn the ball over). He needs to figure out how to do that.

That being said, I look at his face and I wonder if he is rethinking his options as well.

"binocular psychoanalysis" : The practice of looking at a player on the bench and determining what is going on in his mind.

"binocular psychoanalysis" : The practice of looking at a player on the bench and determining what is going on in his mind.

Seems about right. And yes, I'm guilty of speculating on this one for sure.

Reality is that I see these faces when the TV director wants me to. I'll try to watch his interactions when they aren't focusing on his sad face. EDIT - And it will still be just a guess on my part.

Interesting read about playing time, if any for Jalen over the remainder of the season. I concur with the overall reasoning that he is the 4th guard in a three man rotation with Buddy doing a solid job as number 3. However as I look at the remaining games, one game really bothers me and that is the Duke game at the Dome coming up in a couple of weeks. I remember the havoc Tre Jones was inflicting on our guards prior to his injury. Will Syracuse be in any better position to handle this constant pressure in game 2? We had extreme difficulty even bringing the ball up the floor or running our half court offense with Jones in there. I had hoped Carey would be able to improve our movement against Jones but he was not on that night a few weeks back. Is there any way he can help counter the Tre Jones harassing defense in the up coming game? I doubt it but still hope he could surprise us.

Battle surprisingly coming back for his junior year, probably had its greatest impact on Carey's PT. If we didn't have him, Carey probably starts at the 2G spot (had Frank not been injured) to start the season. Maybe, Hughes starts there and MD starts at forward? Who knows for sure, but Battle clearly impacted Carey's role here this year. Seeing how Battle appears to be better than anyone else with the ball in his hands, dribble drive penetration, getting to the rim, etc., I don't even want to think about where this team would've been this season without him, especially with Carey's apparent/current skill set shortcomings.

Interesting read about playing time, if any for Jalen over the remainder of the season. I concur with the overall reasoning that he is the 4th guard in a three man rotation with Buddy doing a solid job as number 3. However as I look at the remaining games, one game really bothers me and that is the Duke game at the Dome coming up in a couple of weeks. I remember the havoc Tre Jones was inflicting on our guards prior to his injury. Will Syracuse be in any better position to handle this constant pressure in game 2? We had extreme difficulty even bringing the ball up the floor or running our half court offense with Jones in there. I had hoped Carey would be able to improve our movement against Jones but he was not on that night a few weeks back. Is there any way he can help counter the Tre Jones harassing defense in the up coming game? I doubt it but still hope he could surprise us.

Figuring out who Tre is covering, and then giving the ball to the other guard is how I would handle that. Because you are right. Passing the ball quickly will help a ton as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom