jalen | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

jalen

I thought of this observation midway through the first half tonight. Aside from that great 4-assist possession that set up Girard's three, that was a brutal stretch for the starting backcourt that left me wondering why some healthy backups weren't at the scorer's table. Hate to use the L word again, but that was a surprisingly long leash.
it's all right there in the play by play
1st ten minutes of the first half
buddy: 2 for 5 from three, 2 assists, 1 steal, 0 turnovers, subbed out at 10:09 remaining and a 6 pt lead
jgiii: 1 for 3, 1 assist, 1 turnover. subbed out at 11:06 and an 8 pt lead
they had scored 9 of the 20 points and assisted on 3 more, accounting for 60% of the offense. additionally, buddy's steal created an additional possession which led to a bourama dunk, so counting indirect contributions, 14 of 20 points by the midway point of the half

i would not call that "brutal" by any stretch. and the "leash" did in fact come their way, anyway
i would call it confirmation bias

buddy: 2 for 5 from three, 2 assists, 1 steal, 0 turnovers, subbed out at 10:09 remaining and a 6 pt lead
they had scored 9 of the 20 points and assisted on 3 more, accounting for 60% of the offense. additionally, buddy's steal created an additional possession which led to a bourama dunk, so counting indirect contributions, 14 of 20 points by the midway point of the half

i would not call that "brutal" by any stretch. and the "leash" did in fact come their way, anyway

Moqui, my main man, you know as well as anyone it's never all there in the play by play. It might help to quantify what we've seen, but the story is in what we see and perceive (if we know what we're looking at). The guards were powerfully ineffective to start the game. And, without looking, I think Buddy's 2-5 from three might be a cherry-picked stat - one of the things that struck me in the first half (if not just in the first 9:51), was that he took and missed too many low-percentage twos.

Moqui, my main man, you know as well as anyone it's never all there in the play by play. It might help to quantify what we've seen, but the story is in what we see and perceive (if we know what we're looking at). The guards were powerfully ineffective to start the game. And, without looking, I think Buddy's 2-5 from three might be a cherry-picked stat - one of the things that struck me in the first half (if not just in the first 9:51), was that he took and missed too many low-percentage twos.

6-18 shooting, including 4-13 from 3, should not get you 37 minutes in that kind of game. I'm with the others who want the younger guys to get some actual game experience, let them play through some mistakes and bad shooting, so they can contribute later when it matters. Buddy's defense has not been great the games I've seen, so let some other guys get some run.

I just checked the pbp on espn. We came out 18-9 the first 7 minutes then JB put Quincy and Goodine in. They both committed turnovers and Guerrier missed a layup. You are right that Girard made his first shot then missed about 5 or 6 in a row. It's all right here.

6-18 shooting, including 4-13 from 3, should not get you 37 minutes in that kind of game. I'm with the others who want the younger guys to get some actual game experience, let them play through some mistakes and bad shooting, so they can contribute later when it matters. Buddy's defense has not been great the games I've seen, so let some other guys get some run.

We are going to play 6.5 or 7. May as well get used to it. Brycen should play more, as should Guerrier and hopefully Braswell. The rest of the guys especially Edwards I don't think are ready.

We are going to play 6.5 or 7. May as well get used to it. Brycen should play more, as should Guerrier and hopefully Braswell. The rest of the guys especially Edwards I don't think are ready.

I'm totally on board with that as well. I've been watching SU long enough to know the formula. I'm just hoping for a bit more minute balance. To me, Buddy looks fatigued as the halves go on. His closeouts get slower, guys are driving by him, and his shots are a bit more erratic. 30 should be the sweet spot for him. 10 minutes for Brycen, etc. to give Buddy a blow. I'm sure Girard could use a break or two as well, especially as a frosh adjusting to college and the college game.

So if he medically redshirts, he'll be able to play immediately next year for another program if he transfers. Correct?

So if he medically redshirts, he'll be able to play immediately next year for another program if he transfers. Correct?

Negative, Ghostrider. The pattern is full.

Medical RS does NOT count as the transfer RS.
There's no "time served" for sitting out for the one reason, towards the other.

His best bet - IF he indeed wants to transfer - would be to leave after this semester, so then he'd be eligible at < insert next school here > starting in Jan 2021.

Negative, Ghostrider. The pattern is full.

Medical RS does NOT count as the transfer RS.
There's no "time served" for sitting out for the one reason, towards the other.

His best bet - IF he indeed wants to transfer - would be to leave after this semester, so then he'd be eligible at < insert next school here > starting in Jan 2021.

That's how I'd buzz the tower. ;):)

Carey should transfer at the end of the semester and file a waiver claiming the current campus racial toxicity made him fearful. The old Justin Fields bs. Carey could be granted immediate eligibility and maybe could even be playing in January.

Otherwise he’s going to sit out another year as a transfer. Him redshirting right now hurts him.

Carey should transfer at the end of the semester and file a waiver claiming the current campus racial toxicity made him fearful. The old Justin Fields bs. Carey could be granted immediate eligibility and maybe could even be playing in January.

Otherwise he’s going to sit out another year as a transfer. Him redshirting right now hurts him.
Why push this narrative? Do you want the kid out that bad?

Why push this narrative? Do you want the kid out that bad?

Ghost is correct. But look,it doesn’t effect me one way or the other if he stays or goes. If he wants to go he should go now for his own benefit. Not mine. (And for the record his athleticism is unmatched and he might be the quickest kid to ever wear a syracuse uniform. I’ve always wanted him to be great).

There are 300 schools that play D1 ball. He could play every minute for free at a lot of them. If he has NBA dreams they’ll find him wherever.

Redshirting then sitting out another year does him no good. Kids should go chase their dreams while they can. Otherwise it’s a short career so go play.

Last edited:
Nothing I love more than the use of narrative on this board. It's truly the best. Us fans on a message board are pushing out some real narratives all over the place! Going to speak it into reality like Lavar Ball.

Well, of course you are quoting their offensive production when the original point was about their defensive liabilities.

Well, of course you are quoting their offensive production when the original point was about their defensive liabilities.
the post i responded to contained not a word about defense

remember howard washington's mom railing on twitter about someone going to jb's office and getting promises while other's just worked hard? it's not hard for me to believe now that carey extracted a promise to get the starting gig as a condition of not transferring. and, man of his word, jb gave him his shot. but only a shot . . .

(it's also machiavellian but smart to let the guy you know you're going to replace start against uva, rather than the freshman whose confidence you don't want to risk damaging this early in his career)
Rumor was that Paulus' dad had demanded a promise to start, and JB said no. I could see JB saying that Carey had a leg up on starting, or something to that effect.

anyone think carey isnt transferring? I dont see him not. Id expect hed get a waiver simply because he barely played this season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom