Jamesville-Dewitt 74, Notre Dame 59 (interesting names on the team).. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jamesville-Dewitt 74, Notre Dame 59 (interesting names on the team)..

Student-athlete usually means you're playing a sport for the university you're a student at

Huh? You may be the only person who thinks this is a revelation.

Jack is a freshman, as is his twin sister Jamie. They are also terrific young people. For kids who have grown up in a fish bowl, the three Boeheim children are the nicest, most respectful, least spoiled kids you will ever meet. A seriously good job of parenting.
The daughter knocked my daughter down in their game last year while going for a loose ball. I'm still waiting for an apology from Jim and Julie

Student-athlete usually means you're playing a sport for the university you're a student at
He grew 3 inches over the last year. Maybe he grows another 3. At 6-8 and an outside shot, I don't know how much better he can get. Neither do you.

I am talking about the Ivy League -- or the "Little Ivies," e.g., Williams, Amherst, Wesleyan, etc -- not the ACC. Have you watched Brown, for example, lately? BTW, my comment about the Ivy League was in response to someone asking whether he might play at Syracuse?

or Hamilton, cough, cough..

Huh? You may be the only person who thinks this is a revelation.
Have you read this conversation? Someone said Boeheim could be a student-athlete at a D1 school. Then I said he's not D1 basketball material. Then they said they didn't mention basketball... So I'm the confused one here. Apparently student-athlete means you don't play a sport.

Joyce, I miss the early days of syracusefan.

I'm guessing you don't mean 3 years ago? ;) While I imagine the earliest incarnations were nice as well, I'd much prefer having the gas prices that were around at the time($0.80/g?) back instead.

cto said:
I give up. Some people are so dense that it is a waste of time trying to explain things in simple English. ;)

Another feel good thread gone awry. No wonder I don't enjoy the board nearly as much as I used to. I appreciated your info. Good for JB and Juli for raising seemingly grounded, well adjusted kids.

Another feel good thread gone awry. No wonder I don't enjoy the board nearly as much as I used to. I appreciated your info. Good for JB and Juli for raising seemingly grounded, well adjusted kids.
Yep. One of the reasons I've hardly bothered to come around and read this board of late. I used to wonder how die-hard fans like DickinMichigan could just disappear, but now I know...

Holy sh^% I remember watching the post NC celebration and JB was on the court with his kids...who were pretty much toddlers.

And BTW...that "student-athlete" bit was definitely the key part of that post that needed to be relentlessly picked apart :rolleyes:

Yep. One of the reasons I've hardly bothered to come around and read this board of late. I used to wonder how die-hard fans like DickinMichigan could just disappear, but now I know...

Did you get a chance to read the thread dedicated to his disappearance last season? It was something to behold.

Did you get a chance to read the thread dedicated to his disappearance last season? It was something to behold.
I think so, it sounds familiar. And IIRC, it degenerated rapidly into wordplay regarding his handle being "DickIn...". I am the first one to be participating in juvenile stupidity, so I guess I can't say much else about it. :)

Alibrat left the board for the same reason. And he is really missed. He has a wonderful historical perspective... and a great understanding of the game. He loves SU hoops so much that he watches games on his computer at 3 and 4 am in Dubai... but he left the board because it became unbearable for him.

And BTW...that "student-athlete" bit was definitely the key part of that post that needed to be relentlessly picked apart :rolleyes:

Another feel good thread gone awry. No wonder I don't enjoy the board nearly as much as I used to.
You're upset that I said a high school player by the initials JB isn't talented enough to play D1 basketball? That's really all I said.

I give up. Some people are so dense that it is a waste of time trying to explain things in simple English. ;)
Look I'm not trying to start a war here. I'm just saying the kid isn't D1 material. Just like the 9th man on JD isn't D1 material. Not a very controversial statement.

You're upset that I said a high school player by the initials JB isn't talented enough to play D1 basketball? That's really all I said.

No, I don't understand why this was a battle you decided to fight.

Alibrat left the board for the same reason. And he is really missed. He has a wonderful historical perspective... and a great understanding of the game. He loves SU hoops so much that he watches games on his computer at 3 and 4 am in Dubai... but he left the board because it became unbearable for him.

I really, really think that a pay side needs to be re-established.

Honestly, if JB's kid does wind up playing at the D3 level, there's obviously nothing at all wrong with that - IF he wants to continue playing into college. I mean hell, look at Wolf Shafer - he's playing D3. JB's kid would probably do very well at the D3 level as a 6-5 perimeter player. And I hope people realize that saying "he'd be a good D3 player" is far from an insult - working in D3 for the last 10 years, there are some really, REALLY good players at this level. A good D3 player is about on par with a D1 walk-on. Nothing wrong with that at all.

(A great D3 player, by comparison, is someone who probably could play at the low D1 level but slipped through the cracks for whatever reason)

No, I don't understand why this was a battle you decided to fight.
Not really fighting s battle here, all I said was some kid isn't talented enough for D1 and a lot of people overreacted.

Honestly, if JB's kid does wind up playing at the D3 level, there's obviously nothing at all wrong with that - IF he wants to continue playing into college. I mean hell, look at Wolf Shafer - he's playing D3. JB's kid would probably do very well at the D3 level as a 6-5 perimeter player. And I hope people realize that saying "he'd be a good D3 player" is far from an insult - working in D3 for the last 10 years, there are some really, REALLY good players at this level. A good D3 player is about on par with a D1 walk-on. Nothing wrong with that at all.

(A great D3 player, by comparison, is someone who probably could play at the low D1 level but slipped through the cracks for whatever reason)
Jek I agree with you. All I said was he can't play D1 and people don't realize how good you have to be to play D1. A lot of people really have no idea. Even D3 is very competitive and you have to be a DOMINANT high school player to play D3.

Jek I agree with you. All I said was he can't play D1 and people don't realize how good you have to be to play D1. A lot of people really have no idea. Even D3 is very competitive and you have to be a DOMINANT high school player to play D3.

I play with guys up in VT who range from former D3 players to D1 players on teams such as Harvard and others that shall remain nameless. Yes, all of them are or were better than me (some of the guys are like 60 now but can still shoot the lights out). One kid was a decent player (for Burlington Vermont) but grew into a 6'10" big man who was fairly decent and that landed him a scholly to UVM (sorry, couldn't resist). I imagine with the opportunities that young Boeheim has (hello Melo Center!), it's not impossible for him to land at a good school and play.

Unless you've seen him play in person (at the beginning of his junior season nonetheless) and think he just doesn't have the skills to get picked up. Feel like we should wait it out a bit and see where this season takes the young lad.

One last thing to think about here. How many coaches do you think are out there who would be more than willing to do JB a solid and offer him at least a D2 scholly?

I think the most important thing is to never say never.