Jarveon Howard | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Jarveon Howard

I expect Howard to see some time at RB, he is capable of pass blocking, is a fast, powerful and elusive runner, and he is also pretty adept at catching passes. I doubt Babers has the luxury of not playing this kid, how much will depend on his ability to pick up the full or part of the offensive package. When I have heard him talk he has presented as a pretty smart mature young man.
I just think of it this way. He’s clearly shown his talent, but we have invaluable experience with strick and big play potential in Moe. Next year we have Abdul Adams whos already a proven commodity at this level of play. Redshirt howard this year so he’s a sophomore/junior and ready to put on his show with TD once the strickland/moe and adams/moe dynasties pass by.

Then again, he could be that good. I don’t know yet.

Adams is a transfer. Has to sit a year.

You're thinking of Markenzy Pierre, I'm guessing.

Pierre had a bad fumble early last season, and word was he struggled in pass protection. He has ability though and hopefully has benefited from the last year in the program. Wish him great things moving forward.

I just think of it this way. He’s clearly shown his talent, but we have invaluable experience with strick and big play potential in Moe. Next year we have Abdul Adams whos already a proven commodity at this level of play. Redshirt howard this year so he’s a sophomore/junior and ready to put on his show with TD once the strickland/moe and adams/moe dynasties pass by.

Then again, he could be that good. I don’t know yet.

We really need wins this year, I just do not think Babers is at the stage where he can afford not to play someone as talented as Howard. We shall see, but I still expect Howard will play the only question in my mind is how much. He may work his way into the kick return team too, talented runners often see duty there early in their careers.
I am not trying to denigrate Strick or Moe, I think teams need four serviceable RBs with possible injuries and a long season. I also see Howard as a better pass receiver out of the RB spot, Strickland has not been good at this and Moe is better but not great either. To me this is what makes this part of the season exciting, a world of the possible.

Last edited:
We really need wins this year, I just do not think Babers is at the stage where he can afford not to play someone as talented as Howard. We shall see, but I still expect Howard will play the only question in my mind is how much. He may work his way into the kick return team too, talented runners often see duty there early in their careers.
I am not trying to denigrate Strick or Moe, I think teams need four serviceable RBs with possible injuries and a long season. I also see Howard as a better pass receiver out of the RB spot, Strickland has not been good at this and Moe is better but not great either. Too me this is what makes this part of the season exciting, a world of the possible.
If he's not ready to get a lot of run early, I could see him redshirting, taking advantage of the season to get things down, and then being a guy that sees time at the end of the year while preserving the redshirt as the offense becomes more comfortable for him.

…. I also see Howard as a better pass receiver out of the RB spot, Strickland has not been good at this and Moe is better but not great either. Too me this is what makes this part of the season exciting, a world of the possible.

Agree with most of your post, but Strickland leads all returning ACC RBs with 48 catches in his 3 years, for 411 yards. Haven't seen Howard in any games -- no way to say he is better.
Still, for sure Babers has to be in win now-mode, use his best guys, need 4 RBs. And, continue to recruit RBs who are better than what we have now, and play them early if they are good enough.

Agree with most of your post, but Strickland leads all returning ACC RBs with 48 catches in his 3 years, for 411 yards. Haven't seen Howard in any games -- no way to say he is better.
Still, for sure Babers has to be in win now-mode, use his best guys, need 4 RBs. And, continue to recruit RBs who are better than what we have now, and play them early if they are good enough.[/QUOT

48 catches but how many drops. In our offense that is really nothing to get excited about. I remember a lot of drops but I could be wrong.
I have watched Howards games and he was a very good receiver with great ability after the catch, was doing this from the time he was a HS soph. Pass catching ability is not something you lose if you have it. It can be developed in someone who is not good at it but if you have the ability or talent for it, you have it.

If he's not ready to get a lot of run early, I could see him redshirting, taking advantage of the season to get things down, and then being a guy that sees time at the end of the year while preserving the redshirt as the offense becomes more comfortable for him.

I will only restate Babers needs to win this year, next year will not get it done, he can not afford to stockpile talent.

If Howard is the best available RB then play him I don't care about red shirts now I want wins. If Howard gives us the best chance to win then he needs to play.
Not sure if he is the best yet, but just can not see not playing him. Judge him after he is in play. Saying he should be redshirted at this point is nonsense.

If Howard is the best available RB then play him I don't care about red shirts now I want wins. If Howard gives us the best chance to win then he needs to play.
Yeah, this thinking has always paid off for us in the past. We should absolutely continue operating this way.

Everyone forgetting how Strickland played vs Clemson and Miami?

This frustrates me so much. He gets way too much blame for a guy who had to make wine out of water with a tattered inexperienced line, and an injured or sidelined dungey.

He was told to run up the middle, at least 8-12 times a game, against NFL calibre linemen and lb’s. I don’t care if you’re Adrian Peterson, that’s not a winning formula vs Clemson/LSU/BC/NCST/FSU/MIAMI/UL defenses.

O line’s healthy and experienced. We have quality QB depth and more talent spread out at WR.

I expect a great year from strickland. 750-800 yards rushing 300-400 yards receiving.

This frustrates me so much. He gets way too much blame for a guy who had to make wine out of water with a tattered inexperienced line, and an injured or sidelined dungey.

He was told to run up the middle, at least 8-12 times a game, against NFL calibre linemen and lb’s. I don’t care if you’re Adrian Peterson, that’s not a winning formula vs Clemson/LSU/BC/NCST/FSU/MIAMI/UL defenses.

O line’s healthy and experienced. We have quality QB depth and more talent spread out at WR.

I expect a great year from strickland. 750-800 yards rushing 300-400 yards receiving.

This

Me too, but that doesn't mean Howard shouldn't play if he's ready.

I absolutely hope you are right, because if you are, we will have had a pretty decent year.

Me too, but that doesn't mean Howard shouldn't play if he's ready.

I agree, but he’d have to be playing at an exceptionally high level in my opinion. He’s got some camp highlights but I heard good things about Markenzy last year in camp too. Just think we should temper expectations until we see him at Western Michigan and Wagner, which we undoubtedly will imo.

RB is increasingly improving in our program, despite losing Dixon and never having Jawar. We need more depth, but what we have is very encouraging.

I absolutely hope you are right, because if you are, we will have had a pretty decent year.
Have to have people step up at WR so we can take advantage of our veterans at RB and TE. Im not feeling very reassured, yet, with WR’s.

Strickland was absent from the scrimmage per Bailey. don't want to stir the pot, but that seems like something to watch.
"absent" is code for monitoring for concussion like symptoms. You saw the same thing recently when Elmore was "absent" from practice for 3ish days before returning. Ordinarily injured players watch from the side, but photo sensitivity is a concussion symptom and players being monitored tend to stay in dimly lit rooms.

To be clear, I'm not saying Strickland has/had a concussion. Sometimes guys are monitored and ultimately determined to not have one. It is a more conservative approach (especially relative to the recent past across the sport) and one I applaud.

Nobody is saying DS won't be good. People are just hoping that JH is special. There's nothing wrong with that. What would our offense look like if we had a back put up numbers like AJ Dillon did last year? I'm not saying JH is that guy, nobody knows yet, but if it turns out he is, he has to play.

Last edited:
Yeah, this thinking has always paid off for us in the past. We should absolutely continue operating this way.

To be fair, great RBs aren’t staying for five years. If JH is good enough to get real playing time as a freshman, then I don’t expect him to be here more than three years, maybe four.

Looks like Strick was withheld due to being banged up. Just correcting the record.

"absent" is code for monitoring for concussion like symptoms. You saw the same thing recently when Elmore was "absent" from practice for 3ish days before returning. Ordinarily injured players watch from the side, but photo sensitivity is a concussion symptom and players being monitored tend to stay in dimly lit rooms.

To be clear, I'm not saying Strickland has/had a concussion. Sometimes guys are monitored and ultimately determined to not have one. It is a more conservative approach (especially relative to the recent past across the sport) and one I applaud.
Definitely doesn't mean a concussion. The player can be cleared but is still held out for a few days just because they may have a headache.

Adams is a transfer. Has to sit a year.

You're thinking of Markenzy Pierre, I'm guessing.

Adams had a fumble and the coaches seemed to lose confidence in him at Oklahoma. I am not sure if it had anything to do with pass blocking. Also there was a change at position coach that Adams felt impacted his playing time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom