Jay Wright might want to change defenses | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Jay Wright might want to change defenses

How would switching to a defense that the opponent sees 95% of the time, that they play themselves and that they practice against take them out of their comfort zone???

Instead, this switch is guaranteed to put them into their comfort zone.

The only confusion that might occur would be which of the 30 or 40 things they are prepared to run against M2M might they try first. Once the PG sees the defense and calls the play, they are pretty much on auto pilot.

This idea about switching to M2M I think of as the “Brer Rabbit and the Briar Patch” strategy.

“At least you tried” sounds more like a frustrated fan yelling “Do something! Do something different!” at the television than it does an actual intelligent strategy.

The idea isn’t to relieve your panic, it’s to win basketball games.

In football, it’s “Put in the back-up QB”.

As usual, a day late and a dollar short.

How would switching to a defense that the opponent sees 95% of the time, that they play themselves and that they practice against take them out of their comfort zone???

The only confusion that might occur would be which of the 30 or 40 things they are prepared to run against M2M might they try first. Once the PG sees the defense and calls the play, they are pretty much on auto pilot.

This idea about switching to M2M I think of as the “Brer Rabbit and the Briar Patch” strategy.

“At least you tried” sounds more like a frustrated fan yelling “Do something! Do something different!” at the television than it does an actual intelligent strategy.

Why did Jim do it in the past then?

2003? You are going back 16 years to find a single game as evidence?

It was 2008.

You said:
“How would switching to a defense that the opponent sees 95% of the time, that they play themselves and that they practice against take them out of their comfort zone???”

I showed you a specific game Jim did this. Why do you think Jim did this?

Let's say Buddy is spotting up against Duke, currently in a zone, and nailing threes....

Spot up, three.

Spot up, three.

Spot up, late closeout, three.

Spot up, nice closeout, hand in his face, Buddy is on fire, three!

Let's say Duke switches to M2M and in some ill-advised strategy to change up defenses, and Buddy can't spot up.

Do you think Buddy is still nailing threes? You think he's taking Barrett off the bounce and hitting threes? Running around Cooney style and nailing threes?

I mean, Buddy has seen M2M, Buddy knows M2M, his Dad is a HOF coach, it's not going to take him out of his comfort zone to see another defense. Do you think playing Buddy M2M with Barrett could possibly impact his game?

I don't either. I agree, switching to a M2M can't have an impact, everyone knows that ****.

I guess the stupid counterargument will be, adjust the zone to get out on Buddy more, but what if two people are going off...or three spotting up. Kind of like UVA did against us. Then what benefit could be derived? None? I agree.

Team USA beat Spain in Spain when JB convinced Coach K to switch to zone on the last possession of the game.
Spain was completely confused and USA won by 1 point in Spain.

The Spanish said they had never seen team USA in zone and it confused them as Kevin Durant in the wing of the zone blocked the last second shot.

Team USA edges Spain by a single point, but claims their most significant victory yet

The Americans’ clutch play on the other end, however, came down to two of
their leaders: Kevin Durant and Mike Krzyzewski. Coach K called for a
zone look — the only zone Team USA played in the entire game — on
Spain’s final offensive possession out of a timeout, which completely
shook Spain’s prescribed set. Ricky Rubio and Rudy Fernandez were left to take heavily contested jumpers off of failed penetration, the second of which Durant swatted
out of bounds as time expired. Leaning too heavily on the zone would
undoubtedly come back to bite Team USA, but credit Krzyzewski with
knowing exactly when to unveil it in this game.

Team USA beat Spain in Spain when JB convinced Coach K to switch to zone on the last possession of the game.
Spain was completely confused and USA won by 1 point in Spain.

The Spanish said they had never seen team USA in zone and it confused them as Kevin Durant in the wing of the zone blocked the last second shot.

Exactly. It sometimes works with a switch to zone because the zone is an unusual defense.

M2M is not unusual. It's the default case.

So switching to the defense a team sees almost all the time is very unlikely to work.

It was 2008.

You said:
“How would switching to a defense that the opponent sees 95% of the time, that they play themselves and that they practice against take them out of their comfort zone???”

His thinking has evolved as an 11 year hiatus in doing it would demonstrate.

People don't want the backup QB to come in for a series, do they?

Are you arguing that we should switch up the defense even if the defense is doing a superb job of shutting down the other team?

Are you arguing that we should switch up the defense even if the defense is doing a superb job of shutting down the other team?

No - I'm saying that if the opposing offense is having its way with the 2-3, then we switch to a different defense (be it a box and one, M2M, 3/4 court press), if only for a few minutes, just to give the opponent a different look and to hopefully disrupt their rhythm. I'm not advocating for a permanent switch. Just a different look at times.

I really don't know of anyone who asks for a backup QB to be put in only for a series or two. Do you?

Exactly. It sometimes works with a switch to zone because the zone is an unusual defense.

So switching to the defense a team sees almost all the time is very unlikely to work.
Personally, I don’t think you really know much about basketball. That’s completely unrelated to this thread, just felt like I needed to say it.

If a team expected us to play 100% zone and we switched to man it would confuse them.
You make it like zone isn’t by almost every team atleast partially. When today almost every team has a zone in their Repertoire. We play it 100% but every team has it.

No - I'm saying that if the opposing offense is having its way with the 2-3, then we switch to a different defense (be it a box and one, M2M, 3/4 court press), if only for a few minutes, just to give the opponent a different look and to hopefully disrupt their rhythm. I'm not advocating for a permanent switch. Just a different look at times.

I really don't know of anyone who asks for a backup QB to be put in only for a series or two. Do you?

When the starting qb isnt working, all the tine. Is that even a serious question?

It was 2008.

You said:

Because teams play zone against us and we still looked clueless

When the starting qb isnt working, all the tine. Is that even a serious question?

yeah - I've never heard of a football fan wanting a backup QB come in for a series or two. We apparently watch football with different types of fans.

yeah - I've never heard of a football fan wanting a backup QB come in for a series or two. We apparently watch football with different types of fans.

Im sorry you struggle with the analogy.

If a team expected us to play 100% zone and we switched to man it would confuse them.
You make it like zone isn’t by almost every team atleast partially. When today almost every team has a zone in their Repertoire. We play it 100% but every team has it.

Of what use is a defense in “their repertoire “ if they rarely use it.

This isn’t about defenses they could play. It’s about defenses they actually do play.

SU switching to a defense they see 90% of the time is playing into their hands.

I get you don’t agree with that.

Personally, I don’t think you really know much about basketball. That’s completely unrelated to this thread, just felt like I needed to say it.

That non-basketball related attack says more about you than it does me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom