Jay Wright might want to change defenses | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jay Wright might want to change defenses

We don't have to pretend winning a mid major conference means something now, do we?

Probably means more than hovering around .500 in a P5 conference.

Does it though?

I have more fun when I see my team win, I personally don't care about the conference if my team is consistent, they have the same opportunities to get to the tournament and they're competitive.

Do they practice zone? Did they make any adjustments? Did they change personnel?

I didn't watch the game so I really can't comment but sticking with the status quo waiting for percentages to even out I don't think is a good strategy. I don't think I'm that crazy.

Villanova never practices zone. They do, of course, make adjustments. Jay Wright is the best coach in basketball right now. I think the point the OP was trying to make is that whenever someone has a good shooting night against Syracuse people say Boeheim's system is broken. Nobody ever says that about other teams.

The truth is in basketball good offense beats good defense. Sometimes Purdue is going to get hot from 3 and there is nothing anybody can do about it. Same with Baylor. Same with Villanova. Same with Syracuse.

Good coaches find systems that work over the long haul which Jay Wright has done and which Jim Boeheim has done. You then adjust from within that system. There isn't a system being used in college ball that won't succeed if executed right, and there isn't a system that won't fail when executed poorly. You don't change everything because somebody got hot from 3. That's going to happen from time to time to everybody.

Villanova never practices zone. They do, of course, make adjustments. Jay Wright is the best coach in basketball right now. I think the point the OP was trying to make is that whenever someone has a good shooting night against Syracuse people say Boeheim's system is broken. Nobody ever says that about other teams.

The truth is in basketball good offense beats good defense. Sometimes Purdue is going to get hot from 3 and there is nothing anybody can do about it. Same with Baylor. Same with Villanova. Same with Syracuse.

Good coaches find systems that work over the long haul which Jay Wright has done and which Jim Boeheim has done. You then adjust from within that system. There isn't a system being used in college ball that won't succeed if executed right, and there isn't a system that won't fail when executed poorly. You don't change everything because somebody got hot from 3. That's going to happen from time to time to everybody.

Youre crushing it. Bravo.

No disagreements from me with anything you said. I'm very pro zone, I just believe it's morphed into a few things I do not like, the stubbornness to adjusting, and the recruiting side of it.

How do you think Villanova should have changed their D? They got lit up.
They did switch defenses. In the first half. Nova went to a 1-2-2 zone.
Paschal was in the middle.
Edwards just tore them up.

Do they practice zone? Did they make any adjustments? Did they change personnel?

I didn't watch the game so I really can't comment but sticking with the status quo waiting for percentages to even out I don't think is a good strategy. I don't think I'm that crazy.

Don't you basically only watch Washington?

Villanova’s down year still earned them a regular season and tourney title, a 6 seed and seed them bringing in the best recruiting class in school history. Oh and they have two rings in the last 3 years. I think one bad defensive game in a rebuilding year that was still better than anything we’ve had recently is hardly something to try turning into some weird zone defense.

A down year for Wright is a great year for most other coaches in college b-ball.

Nova has a stocked cupboard and will be right back at the top next year.

Funny how the reasons and rationale for St. Jay getting his ass handed to him become excuses when applied to JB and Cuse. I couldn’t be happier they got blown out. Only disappointment is that it wasn’t by 50.

Funny how the reasons and rationale for St. Jay getting his ass handed to him become excuses when applied to JB and Cuse. I couldn’t be happier they got blown out. Only disappointment is that it wasn’t by 50.

When you win two titles in such a short time I think it's a different case.

When you win two titles in such a short time I think it's a different case.

He's a great coach. Top 3 in the game today and up there with all time greats, but I was under the impression that tough man to man defense never got torched from deep.

The best analogy to the man v zone debate is the backup quarterback in football.

I think that many of the critics of the zone don't dislike the zone per se; they want the ability to switch to another form of defense, if only for a few possessions, just to give the opposition another look, or to attempt to take them out of their rhythm / comfort level. If it doesn't work, then so be it - but at least you tried.

I think that many of the critics of the zone don't dislike the zone per se; they want the ability to switch to another form of defense, if only for a few possessions, just to give the opposition another look, or to attempt to take them out of their rhythm / comfort level. If it doesn't work, then so be it - but at least you tried.

Exactly my point.

How would switching to a defense that the opponent sees 95% of the time, that they play themselves and that they practice against take them out of their comfort zone???

Instead, this switch is guaranteed to put them into their comfort zone.

The only confusion that might occur would be which of the 30 or 40 things they are prepared to run against M2M might they try first. Once the PG sees the defense and calls the play, they are pretty much on auto pilot.

This idea about switching to M2M I think of as the “Brer Rabbit and the Briar Patch” strategy.

“At least you tried” sounds more like a frustrated fan yelling “Do something! Do something different!” at the television than it does an actual intelligent strategy.

The idea isn’t to relieve your panic, it’s to win basketball games.

In football, it’s “Put in the back-up QB”.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom