Jay Wright | Syracusefan.com

Jay Wright

hungrychuck

All Conference
Quite simply, if you are smart enough and competent enough as a coach, you don't need to behave as a complete bully toward the press, your players or your fans.

If you are secure enough then you don't need to treat every analysis as a personal affront, you can view all of those elements in a way that doesn't result in shaming your program, even if it does have better than expected results on the court.

Praise to Jay Wright. He is a coach whose on-court performance, and as important, his demeanor off the court, can be a model for all of those who follow a college basketball team.

Congrats Nova on a well deserved national championship.

And its coach in getting there in a way that defines class.

Last edited:
Quite simply, if you are smart enough and competent enough as a coach, you don't need to behave as a complete bully toward the press, your players or your fans.

If you are secure enough than you don't need to treat every analysis as a personal affront, you can view all of those elements in a way that doesn't result in shaming your program, even if it does have better than expected results on the court.

Praise to Jay Wright. He is a coach whose on-court performance, and as important, his demeanor off the court, can be a model for all of those who follow a college basketball team.

Congrats Nova on a well deserved national championship.

And its coach in getting there in a way that defines class.
JWright just said it regarding their success- " We re authentic ". Perfectly fair question- is SU authentic in ACC?? Lol Think about those recruiting implications, etc...

JWright just said it regarding their success- " We re authentic ". Perfectly fair question- is SU authentic in ACC?? Lol Think about those recruiting implications, etc...

Hey Jack, want to understand your response.

"Authentic?" They definitely are.

Can we be authentic in the ACC? Absolutely.

He is a little too smooth. He is a less smarmy Cal. I still think there are some shenanigans that will get uncovered.

I just hope he doesn't keep winning national championships because he will too expensive for us to hire after JB retires.
In all seriousness, he is a great coach who has built a great program.

The administration had no choice to believe in him after not getting past the first weekend in five consecutive years and going 13-19 at one point. No one worth their value was going to Villanova if they fired him like the fanbase wanted. Nova would have been what Pitt is now with worse facilities.

Ok I am not savvy on these things like some of you guys are so I’m not implying anything by this question...

Is there any chance Jay Wright would come to SU once JB retires? Chris Mack left Xavier for an ACC team ...

Coaches are around to win games. I honestly don't give a crap if they're nice to the players or the press, as long as they're not abusive, which JB isn't. JB is good at wining games, regular and post season. Great at it, in fact. Gregg Popovich and Bill Belichick are jerks, or present themselves as such, and they're great at winning games, too. Phil Jackson was a turd... great at winning games, though. Jay Wright is a calm and collected dude. Cool. Does that have anything to do with 'class'? Not really. Does that mean coaches who are a little more fiery or cold are somehow worse? Nope.

He hit on his recruits.

The one thing I do really appreciate is the culture of kid he goes after.

Yup. He struck gold with about 2 recruiting classes. He found the sweet spot of kids good enough to develop into great college players without being good enough (or willing) to go pro early. That's not easy to do nowadays, but he pulled it off. Can he do this consistently? That remains to be seen, but it's definitely not an easy proposition. He's always gone after highly skilled but undersized players. This is where his advantage lies because they don't have the typical measurables of NBA guys. This is what tends to hurt Syracuse when JB gets a 4 star recruit to outperform his ranking; the fact that we recruit size/athleticism first. So our guys have the prototypical NBA body and athleticism, all they have to do is be productive on the court to get a favorable draft projection. It's easier to be big and athletic and get more skilled than it is to be skilled and then grow 4 inches or improve your vertical to 40".

Oddly enough, Nova would be damaged the most by the OAD rule changing so players can leave straight from high school again, not the Kentucky's and Duke's of the world.

Easy on blue blood with nova, they did not make the sweet 16 from 1989-2004. If CUSE can get one more title they would be placed above Nova due to the success over several decades. Is Florida a blue blood for winning back to back titles in 2006 and 2007?

They're trending better than us at this point.

UConn and Florida are Blue Bloods too.

And jump off the cliff or back away. Too much sulking on this board. None of us play for the program. Idc if you're a booster or just a fan, relax.

UConn and Florida are Blue Bloods too.

And jump off the cliff or back away. Too much sulking on this board. None of us play for the program. Idc if you're a booster or just a fan, relax.

I'm relaxed just fine.

Ok I am not savvy on these things like some of you guys are so I’m not implying anything by this question...

Is there any chance Jay Wright would come to SU once JB retires? Chris Mack left Xavier for an ACC team ...

No chance. It's a running joke on the pay side.

He's more likely to test the pros than to leave Nova for another college gig imo.

Nova is a blue blood now? Give me a break.

LOL, according to Seth Davis in the post game they are. That's all you need to hear to know that they aren't.

I just hope he doesn't keep winning national championships because he will too expensive for us to hire after JB retires.
In all seriousness, he is a great coach who has built a great program.
Why would he come here. We don’t pay anything

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom