Jay Wright | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jay Wright

Ok I am not savvy on these things like some of you guys are so I’m not implying anything by this question...

Is there any chance Jay Wright would come to SU once JB retires? Chris Mack left Xavier for an ACC team ...
Jay Wright will be in his 70's when JB finally retires.

Not saying anything in regards to Jay Wright but we literally have no idea how much Syracuse would pay a basketball coach since we haven't had a new one since 1975
However you do agree Boeheim is very under paid?

He is a little too smooth. He is a less smarmy Cal. I still think there are some shenanigans that will get uncovered.

Like his prank calls. I think he was a Jerky Boy at one time.

I looked up coaches salaries, Wright is making about $2.6 mil, which is about $500K more than JB. we would probably have to pay him 3X what he is making now, going out on a limb and saying we won't do that. I had no clue that Ohio State is paying Holtmann over $7 mil a year, that's more than they pay Meyer, that is insane!

I looked up coaches salaries, Wright is making about $2.6 mil, which is about $500K more than JB. we would probably have to pay him 3X what he is making now, going out on a limb and saying we won't do that. I had no clue that Ohio State is paying Holtmann over $7 mil a year, that's more than they pay Meyer, that is insane!
Taxpayer money, in a state that worships FB (and no surprise, with a public school system in crisis). Same with half the SEC schools, with huge staffs and bottomless budgets. It's a beautiful world.

Last edited:
Additionally I think Hsy absolutely loves Nova, it’s culture, his bonding with the staff and people. I wish but don’t see it.

However you do agree Boeheim is very under paid?

Sure - but if he wanted more money do you really think we wouldn't pay?

When he goes do you really think they wouldn't pay 4-6M per year to a proven guy?

After a legend leaves and you have a very profitable program you do not turn it over to a guy with no exp. Hopkins would have been the exception because he was here for 20 years. Could have been Roy Williams to JB's Dean Smith

He hit on his recruits.

The one thing I do really appreciate is the culture of kid he goes after.

He's a great communicator and he really knows how to get through to his kids. Hitting on his recruits has a lot to do with the level of coaching he is providing too.

Reactions: 007
Sure - but if he wanted more money do you really think we wouldn't pay?

When he goes do you really think they wouldn't pay 4-6M per year to a proven guy?

After a legend leaves and you have a very profitable program you do not turn it over to a guy with no exp. Hopkins would have been the exception because he was here for 20 years. Could have been Roy Williams to JB's Dean Smith
You may be right but I really don’t know how serious the A D and school are about the future.

He's a great communicator and he really knows how to get through to his kids. Hitting on his recruits has a lot to do with the level of coaching he is providing too.

Despite the rantings of some on here over the years, Wright has been a great coach for a long, long time. X and Os, player development, deportment, class, humility, and the way he handles the media. The only missing component was NCAAT success. HOF is in his near future.

Tony Bennett is on a very similar track.

Most are saying other than Brunson and Bridges everyone will likely return. If that was us everyone would be declaring for the draft. Wright does a great job getting the right kind of kids who actually want to go to school and having the communication skills to keep them for a while.

he is on a great 3 year run . . . but the 6 years prior, he missed the tournament twice, lost in the first round twice, never got past the first weekend, had multiple double-digit loss seasons, and once went an abysmal 13-19.

my point here is not to run him down, as i think he is one of the top coaches in the game, but to point out that things run in cycles. when you have a great coach & program, you let the high times carry the low.

check out this hilarious comparison of nova fans tweets about jay in 2015 compared to 2018

Jay Wright and Villanova changed their recruiting philosophy after numerous transfers into and out of their program. The group they have now reflects the change, it will be interesting to see if they can continue getting players (with parents, advisors) who commit fully to 4 years in the program, even 5 years with the number of redshirts they have recently used. According to this article, the players now commit to Nova’s team achievements vs personal goals geared of the NBA, playing time etc. If players wait their turns it does work as we have seen here too but if players get impatient, take advantage of ‘blowing up’ , wanting money early etc it can change early. It will be interesting if Spellman, Brunson and Divincenzo etc stay and continue to prioritize team goals over their personal aspirations. Wright made this change after a 2nd round flameout as a 2 seed in 2010, a 9th seed loss in the first round in 2011, not making the tournament in 2012 and another 9th seed outing in the first round in 2013.

Villanova Transfers: In & Out

jay wright can now pretty much pick and choose his class in sartorial splendor. be interesting to see which way he goes.

The sense in Philly is that Brunson and Bridges are gone, and the DiVicenzo may at least test the waters. I think that Spellman has the highest pro upside of all of them.

Despite the rantings of some on here over the years, Wright has been a great coach for a long, long time. X and Os, player development, deportment, class, humility, and the way he handles the media. The only missing component was NCAAT success. HOF is in his near future.

Tony Bennett is on a very similar track.
The two best coaches in college basketball today.
I would have put Pitino (the elder) in there, too...but his techniques have, shall we say, been exposed.

Blue Blood? Who cares? Guess what? They are National Champions by a mile. We all have a way to climb to get to where they are now, good for them.

I’m always fascinated by American’s ability to try and tear down which we all should admire and strive for. Pathetic people living pathetic lives I guess. I can’t think of any other reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom