JB and Doug couldnt be more different | Syracusefan.com

JB and Doug couldnt be more different

kcsu

Living Legend
Everyone should read the SI article on JB. He is 360 degrees different in his philosophy on coaching from Doug. Im not saying that Dougs Life Skills are not great because i believe in them but Jim gets it. He isnt here to be his players Dad. He doesnt micro manage them. He isnt a life coach he is their basketball coach. Great article i hope that Doug reads it.

Everyone should read the SI article on JB. He is 360 degrees different in his philosophy on coaching from Doug. Im not saying that Dougs Life Skills are not great because i believe in them but Jim gets it. He isnt here to be his players Dad. He doesnt micro manage them. He isnt a life coach he is their basketball coach. Great article i hope that Doug reads it.

15 vs 115

36 v 4

Basketball vs Football.

Much different circumstances and sports.

Completely agree. This is not oranges and oranges. Bball has a coach for ever couple players... Of course Jim doesn't need to spend time babysitting anyone. He has also built his program, while Doug is still setting the foundation.

I also think some of our past bball players could have benefited from some life skills.

15 vs 115

36 v 4

Basketball vs Football.

Much different circumstances and sports.

Two totally different sports buddy. I've never heard of a football coach that isn't actively involved in the role.

Coach K is notorious for micro managing his team and he's done pretty well.

There are some bball alumni trying yo fill this void. I generally agree with JB s style. Sports in college should be something you do as part of the experience. It shouldn't be who you are.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

I haven't read the article but reading the posts I'm struck with a few observations. I see nothing wrong with JB's approach to managing his players on and off the court.

I say that because if the Fine-related lawsuits progress to trial the plaintiffs will question that management style. They will ask a jury to decide that JB should have been more involved and that JB was negligent in failing to see what the plaintiffs allege Fine was doing to them in front of him. Personally, I disagree with the plaintiffs based on the evidence I'm aware of so far. It's not even clear to me that Fine did anything wrong because of credibility issues and problems with the evidence I'm aware of. Even if Fine inappropriately touched those boys I haven't seen any credible evidence to suggest that JB should have known something wrong was going on.

I'm guessing that the article was written about JB's management style with the Fine mess as a backdrop either directly or indirectly. I hope JB was prepared for that before he was interviewed.

Football and hoops are different animals although I do like the way coach K runs his ship even though I hate to see Duke win. I grew up a Bob Knight fan, so JB's approach has always seemed 180 degrees different to me. I appreciate both styles. JB's style works for him, and I see nothing wrong with it. Besides, kids in this generation are being called narcissists, and I think JB's approach fit's the present day pretty well.

Completely agree. This is not oranges and oranges. Bball has a coach for ever couple players... Of course Jim doesn't need to spend time babysitting anyone. He has also built his program, while Doug is still setting the foundation.

I also think some of our past bball players could have benefited from some life skills.

He also has the Niagara Falls Express (a.k.a Mike Hopkins) around to handle that kind of stuff.

He also has the Niagara Falls Express (a.k.a Mike Hopkins) around to handle that kind of stuff.
Gotta wonder how involved Hop will be with the players when he takes over as head coach. I don't think he'll be a Boeheim clone.

Two different situations - not even close.

And though he is a Syracuse legend, I don't happen to agree with JB on how he approaches the life skills issue.

Two different situations - not even close.

And though he is a Syracuse legend, I don't happen to agree with JB on how he approaches the life skills issue.
My college bball coach is in the Hall and he was hands off maybe it is more of a basketball thing. Regardless of what JB claims his style is most of his past players seem to really care for him. Syracuse is much more of a family on the basketball side than the football side.

Each coach should be themselves. I think both HCDM and JB are. Vastly different, as you suggest. But that's who they are.

My college bball coach is in the Hall and he was hands off maybe it is more of a basketball thing. Regardless of what JB claims his style is most of his past players seem to really care for him. Syracuse is much more of a family on the basketball side than the football side.

First, who was your college basketball coach?

Where did he coach?

Second, I love the SU BB program - I have been watching it for over forty years - but I don't see it quite the way you do - and I don't agree regarding your assessment of SU FB alumni - I think that observation is way off.

Of course, the football alumni family is a family of thousands, while the basketball family is a family of hundreds. That probably makes a difference.

Of course, the football alumni family is a family of thousands, while the basketball family is a family of hundreds. That probably makes a difference.

The SU Football Alumni Association is a very large, close-knit group of athletes.

The annual golf outing is well attended.

I just don't agree with KC's presumptions.

Syracuse is much more of a family on the basketball side than the football side.

It's easy to be friends with eleven other people than seventy-five other people. I can assure you though, when you see a Syracuse football player, they're almost always hanging with other football players. Both are quite 'family-like'.

I haven't read the article but reading the posts I'm struck with a few observations. I see nothing wrong with JB's approach to managing his players on and off the court.

I say that because if the Fine-related lawsuits progress to trial the plaintiffs will question that management style. They will ask a jury to decide that JB should have been more involved and that JB was negligent in failing to see what the plaintiffs allege Fine was doing to them in front of him. Personally, I disagree with the plaintiffs based on the evidence I'm aware of so far. It's not even clear to me that Fine did anything wrong because of credibility issues and problems with the evidence I'm aware of. Even if Fine inappropriately touched those boys I haven't seen any credible evidence to suggest that JB should have known something wrong was going on.

I'm guessing that the article was written about JB's management style with the Fine mess as a backdrop either directly or indirectly. I hope JB was prepared for that before he was interviewed.

Football and hoops are different animals although I do like the way coach K runs his ship even though I hate to see Duke win. I grew up a Bob Knight fan, so JB's approach has always seemed 180 degrees different to me. I appreciate both styles. JB's style works for him, and I see nothing wrong with it. Besides, kids in this generation are being called narcissists, and I think JB's approach fit's the present day pretty well.
That wont be any part of the trial. They have to show that JB knew Bernie diddled the kids, not that he should have known. This is not negligence. This is intentional torts.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

Both coaching styles have merit, but I do like JB's style. It is college and the point of college is to prepare students, players, etc for the next level. If these kids can't learn how to survive with lee-way in a sheltered environment then how will they fare once they move on to be dependent upon themselves. I honestly think it is the right approach to preparing kids for their futures.

I tend to think the biggest point not yet made is the difference in the nature of the sports (as opposed to just numbers). Football requires dozens of kids to be pulling in the same direction and doing what's best for the team even if it is at the expense of personal glory, etc. Hoops is mostly talent = playing time.

It's an over-simplification but to a certain degree a lot of hoops players simply have undeniable talent and the key is providing the tools and techniques that hopefully help them reach their potential. Allows a coach to create a more laid back environment (or be more hands-on like K if that is his style).

Football, from the time of pop warner, is collection of t-shirts with corny all-for-one slogans on them, constant drilling of fundamental techniques, rah-rah military analogies and lingo, and constant preaching about going 110%, etc. The whole sport essentially becomes a lifestyle in many cases. It's complete horses--t, but it seems to be how it goes. A football coach basically creates a world for these kids that is centered around football and how football can make them better men. I don't buy it, but it seems to work and it doesn't seem all that valid a criticism of Marrone, IMO.

I remember a time when a sizeable portion of the fan base thought Boehiem was an incompetent doofus who just rolled the ball out and couldn't win the big one and needed to go.