JB calling into Axe about recruiting now | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB calling into Axe about recruiting now

I invite high expectations. These kids are top highschool basketball players, they chose syracuse to have a shot at the pros and the national championship. These kids accepted impossible expectations when they chose SU, theyre competitors and im sure they invite it.

Calling Sidibe and Howard Washington top 50 recruits does nothing to help them. All it does is raise expectations for them as a freshman.
His comments on Hughes in the Chris Carlson article are unbelievable and don't help the kids.
lol JB roasted when he's brutally honest publicly and roasted when he builds kids up

lol JB roasted when he's brutally honest publicly and roasted when he builds kids up
I Praised his honesty about Crean.

Go read the Carlson article. He said Hughes could be one of the best players in the nation. That is insane. If the kid is that good he never would've transferred and would've gone straight to the NBA. Comments like that deserve to be called out.

That'll never happen

You're probably right. You can't crap on the floor and convince me it's gold. This is not a good team on paper, hope it translates to the court but I just don't see it at all.

You're probably right. You can't crap on the floor and convince me it's gold. This is not a good team on paper, hope it translates to the court but I just don't see it at all.
Think it's a bad offensive team on paper, but actually a good defensive team on paper. My guess is we get the middle ground! So sad! Still going to try and have high hopes though!

Do you think you may be a little glass half-empty though? You don't like Jimmy pumping the kids up at all, but you have no compunction about comparing our incoming recruits to "crap on the floor."

Think it's a bad offensive team on paper, but actually a good defensive team on paper. My guess is we get the middle ground! So sad! Still going to try and have high hopes though!

I like our defense better than last year, but with Marek and Thorpe being late arrivals I don't know what that does to the defense. Very concerning because the offense isn't even close to last season.

Do you think you may be a little glass half-empty though? You don't like Jimmy pumping the kids up at all, but you have no compunction about comparing our incoming recruits to "crap on the floor."

No, it's not half empty at all. We can't get a legit top 50 guy to save our life. Top teams normally have top recruits, top recruits more than likely make you a top team.

As bad as we were last year, we lost a first round NBA pick and a guy who broke the record for most three point shots in a season. That's fire power, we have NOTHING coming in even close to them. What's half empty about that? It's a fact.

I Praised his honesty about Crean.

Go read the Carlson article. He said Hughes could be one of the best players in the nation. That is insane. If the kid is that good he never would've transferred and would've gone straight to the NBA. Comments like that deserve to be called out.

Couldn't the same be said for Wes Johnson and Mike Gbinije? Why didn't they just go pro if they were future NBA players?

Y
Pretty much everybody that's come in is the cats meow.

I'm not debating that there is talent with this guys, but I'm sick of him citing Warrick every year when it comes to low rated recruits.
You really seem to me to be someone who enjoys crow. How do you like it prepared?

What did you think about his comments before last season about last years team?
Last year I believed him 100% because it was out of character for him to praise a team before the season started. You couple that with Lydon coming back, the expectations around PC, and landing AW3, and I thought we had something. Last years team had proven scorers, there was no way to know our D would be terrible. This team has nothing to go off from whatsoever, it's bizarre.

If he believes HW is a top 50 player, why did we ignore him for basically his entire HS career?
Kid wasn't completely developed. Going to Canada last year was huge for him and his game got better. If you go back and listen to one of Dean Francis podcast or go to HW thread you will see some of that in there.

Last year I believed him 100% because it was out of character for him to praise a team before the season started. You couple that with Lydon coming back, the expectations around PC, and landing AW3, and I thought we had something. Last years team had proven scorers, there was no way to know our D would be terrible. This team has nothing to go off from whatsoever, it's bizarre.

We had proven scorers coming back and coming in last year. Added Gillon, Battle, and White to Lydon already being solid on offense. That's a great offense. I don't think it's outlandish for me to say that our offense this year isn't as good as last year. It's like if Golden State lost Durant and Curry and somebody said "Their offense won't be as good", guess you can't say that around here without being ridiculed.

We had proven scorers coming back and coming in last year. Added Gillon, Battle, and White to Lydon already being solid on offense. That's a great offense. I don't think it's outlandish for me to say that our offense this year isn't as good as last year. It's like if Golden State lost Durant and Curry and somebody said "Their offense won't be as good", guess you can't say that around here without being ridiculed.
I'm 100% in agreement with you. I have no expectations of this team. There is literally no way of knowing what we have until we see them play. I think the expectations are nuts myself.

Couldn't the same be said for Wes Johnson and Mike Gbinije? Why didn't they just go pro if they were future NBA players?
Mike Gbinije wasn't one of the best players in the nation. He was great for us but wasn't what JB described Hughes as.

Wes Johnson is an outlier. If JB wants to say Hughes is going to be ACC POY of the year like Wes Johnson was BE POY.

JB owns all criticism if the kid isn't that good.

I would take an all-ACC season from Hughes but JB said among the best in the nation.

Wes Johnson also had averaged double figures twice at a P5 school.

Pearl's comments shut down discussion because he fights anyone who has a critical take.

That Carlson article had a lot of stuff in it including the fact JB wouldn't admit Chukwu struggled last year.

The fact that I don't know these guys makes me excited, we could be great, we could also be worse than last year. I think the possibilities are endless with the squad, and it all comes down to our guards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom