JB Extension=Damage Control | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB Extension=Damage Control

I don't think either one of us are endlessly damning JB. We are being realists about the likelihood of him coaching successfully for 5 more years, and that no extension is going to stop retirement questioning and negative recruitment tactics. I love JB, please don't imply that I don't.

I'm glad you love the man - so do I. As a personal friend of his I am suggesting we give this a chance. I realize there will be many people questioning the decision but we do not have to live with the negative questions and comments. Let's be positive and hope that now we have one of the best coaches in BB ever, the program will get back to its prominence. I wonder if another SU player will become another coach on the bench to take over for Autry and how soon?

You as well are entitled to YOUR opinion. Let's see how this plays out before we go damning JB endlessly.
Did no such thing, just stated the obvious. I have nothing but love for JB.

Hey, hey, hey! "Damning JB endlessly." That's not what he said or even implied. Let's give the massive over-reaction a rest here.
Cowtown, see my post below to JazzNC , thank you.

I'm glad you love the man - so do I. As a personal friend of his I am suggesting we give this a chance. I realize there will be many people questioning the decision but we do not have to live with the negative questions and comments. Let's be positive and hope that now we have one of the best coaches in BB ever, the program will get back to its prominence. I wonder if another SU player will become another coach on the bench to take over for Autry and how soon?

I think we all want a "positive" outcome and I'd love to see JB go out with another trip to a Final Four. But to do that several things have to happen:

JB has to remain healthy. SU needs to deliver a big-time recruiting class. This will be particularly challenging to do when prospects are going to continually question JB's retirement. Furthermore, other elite programs will use JB's age and possible retirement against us. We already lost Quade. I can see other recruits choosing other top programs with more stability.

That being said, I hope you're right, and I admire your loyalty to your friend JB. Unfortunately, I think you may be confusing realism for negativity. Nothing would make me happier than seeing JB sticking up his middle finger at the NCAA with a National Championship as he walks away.

JB has to remain healthy. SU needs to deliver a big-time recruiting class. This will be particularly challenging to do when prospects are going to continually question JB's retirement. Furthermore, other elite programs will use JB's age and possible retirement against us.

Coack K is only 2.5 years younger than JB.

True, but I bet he retires before the age 77. He also looks younger... not that it should matter.
he has also had more health related issues, which kept him away from games than JB has had.

You're making an assumption about my age. That's ok. IMO it's highly unlikely JB will coach until he's 77, let alone coach successfully for 5 more years?

I want the program to continue to flourish too, but if you think this extension will eliminate questions about retirement, I'd like to have some of that pipe you're smoking.
Nothing will ever eliminate questions about his retirement unless we have very good seasons with him coaching . Then the questions will turn to comments like "why does he have to retire." And, I ain't smoking anything.

he has also had more health related issues, which kept him away from games than JB has had.

You are 100% right in theory... but Coach K is a media darling, and JB is not. JB will continue to get grilled about the topic, whereas MK will be treated with kit gloves. Not saying it's right, but JB has not exactly endeared himself with the media. His path is harder.

True, but I bet he retires before the age 77. He also looks younger... not that it should matter.
I think K looks older than JB. He also acts older with his missing time.

I think we all want a "positive" outcome and I'd love to see JB go out with another trip to a Final Four. But to do that several things have to happen:

JB has to remain healthy. SU needs to deliver a big-time recruiting class. This will be particularly challenging to do when prospects are going to continually question JB's retirement. Furthermore, other elite programs will use JB's age and possible retirement against us. We already lost Quade. I can see other recruits choosing other top programs with more stability.

That being said, I hope you're right, and I admire your loyalty to your friend JB. Unfortunately, I think you may be confusing realism for negativity. Nothing would make me happier than seeing JB sticking up his middle finger at the NCAA with a National Championship as he walks away.

YES! The ultimate if it happens.

So is this extension just so for short term recruiting stability? Will he actually stay beyond next year?

I don't necessarily think that an extension means he's going to be around that much longer.

JB will get "1,000" wins before he steps down...the ncaa doesnt deserve to strip him of one of the greatest college basketball accomplishments of all time.

Syracuse bball will then hire a battle tested head coach who has a proven track record of building a program.

Nothing will ever eliminate questions about his retirement unless we have very good seasons with him coaching . Then the questions will turn to comments like "why does he have to retire." And, I ain't smoking anything.

Lighten up, man. I'm on your side. I want JB to do well. He's earned the right to try to... But it's becoming less likely that he can have those "very good seasons " when SU can't give potential recruits stability, and face negative recruiting strategies.

Your loyalty to JB is awesome. I share your love for him. Without him, SU is not the program it is today. But no one is immortal. Here's hoping you are 100% right! ✌

So is this extension just so for short term recruiting stability? Will he actually stay beyond next year?

I don't necessarily think that an extension means he's going to be around that much longer.

I doubt he's here more than another year or two. But I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I was a teacher and coach. Way back in the day we opened a new HS and fought mightily on every level to compete, including trying to develop the athletic programs against the many other established teams. It sure as heck wasn't easy, believe me. So I have a mountain of respect for what JAB has done with Syracuse basketball over the decades. I still have my school's record for years coached and total number of wins (although not for very much longer :D), yet when I retired there wasn't so much as a thank you from the administration - except for the AD, whose hug and handshake I'll never forget. Give the man his due. IMHO, I think it's time for him to move on, but I'll let him make that call.

I think it is likely a combination of things. JB should have gotten out after his final four run last year but he wasn't ready and thought he had something good lined up for this year. JB now knows that next year is a likely bust. He knows he needs some time to try to turn things around if he wants to end on a high note (which is looking like a daunting task but hey hopefully after the scholarships restrictions are all gone we can make some better progress recruiting).

I'm thinking that Hopkins gets wind of this and is feeling like he's been jerked around too much. That coupled with a huge pay raise and Syracuse's mediocre forecast for the next year or two and he makes a smart choice but nonetheless is heartbroken as the guy bleeds orange.

I can't shake the feeling that we are really going to regret letting Hop slip through our fingers but time will tell.

I think it is likely a combination of things. JB should have gotten out after his final four run last year but he wasn't ready and thought he had something good lined up for this year. JB now knows that next year is a likely bust. He knows he needs some time to try to turn things around if he wants to end on a high note (which is looking like a daunting task but hey hopefully after the scholarships restrictions are all gone we can make some better progress recruiting).

I'm thinking that Hopkins gets wind of this and is feeling like he's been jerked around too much. That coupled with a huge pay raise and Syracuse's mediocre forecast for the next year or two and he makes a smart choice but nonetheless is heartbroken as the guy bleeds orange.

I can't shake the feeling that we are really going to regret letting Hop slip through our fingers but time will tell.

You may well be right. But I think one of the secrets to success in the coaching profession is knowing how to see an opportunity when it's presented. Or, how to catch a star on the way up. Hopkins is far more likely to do that where he's going than where he came from. And I'm sorry to make that observation.

Lighten up, man. I'm on your side. I want JB to do well. He's earned the right to try to... But it's becoming less likely that he can have those "very good seasons " when SU can't give potential recruits stability, and face negative recruiting strategies.

Your loyalty to JB is awesome. I share your love for him. Without him, SU is not the program it is today. But no one is immortal. Here's hoping you are 100% right! ✌

I'm not trying to sound argumentative though I may sound that way. I hope I'm right as well. And I'm still not smoking anything although I've had a few glasses of a nice cabernet. :)

Does anyone actually believe that JB will coach for 5 more years? I don't... and I'd venture that other coaches and recruiters don't. SU has a REALLY hard sell for recruits.

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong. Just don't see JB getting a last kiss my ass NCAA trip to the Final Four under these circumstances.

Just going on record as saying I think this JB extension means nothing. It's a damage control response. Hop learned he wasn't Wildhack's choice, and said screw this. Hop took care of Hop, and I don't blame him.

SU was left no choice, and had to say something to stop the bleeding. Announcing an extension with a 72 year old coach, as popular as JB is, is risky, but it gave the current team and incoming recruits some stability.

I think, long term, it's nothing more than posturing by SU. They will actively look for JB's replacement and it will happen sooner than later.

This is just a meaningless extension that is meant to pacify the public image of SU being a program on the outs.
I would say just the opposite. The university has put itself in a very awkward position and is looking all the worse for it. They have appeared to not have run off their coach but caved into him and in the process run off it's second most loyal supporter.

Truth is none of us actually know what went down. We are all speculating. I think Hop leaving because he wanted to one year before he's set to take over at SU, is highly unlikely.

I think it's much more likely that the new AD wants a better known commodity than Hop.
While this may be true, it does not warrant an extension. The AD had an out, let JB stay a year then find his man. Now it may become a race to see who leaves first, the AD or JB. If JB's coaching drops further, the AD is going to look real bad giving this extension. If football doesn't come around, it could spell trouble for him.

I have supported JB with his many flaws over this past season. But truth be told, I was looking forward to his retirement and Hops taking over the team. Or even another bright up coming coach. JB appeared to be going out his way. Now I fear he may not get to go out his way. At his age the odds are that he'll be asked to leave (never every fired!) due to coaching inadequacies , or worse have to step do due to health reason. Now with a HCIW gone and an even more inexperienced head assistant coach on the bench, that does not bode well. Imagine JB going down during OOC play and not being able to return. These things never work out well.

As a retiree, I have seen things go two ways. Guys in their 70's dieing on the job, or working successfully while approaching 80.

Truth is none of us actually know what went down. We are all speculating. I think Hop leaving because he wanted to one year before he's set to take over at SU, is highly unlikely.

I think it's much more likely that the new AD wants a better known commodity than Hop.

JazzNC, are you crazy? ("Truth is none of us actually know what went down.".

Read these posts. Do you see any doubt in these people's minds or posts?

Of course, those that don't like JB and never have, seem to have one set of facts. And those that think the program is dying slowly have another set of facts.

I have ventured a guess, but I think I have couched it in those terms. It's just a guess.

Read what each of their interpretations are and you can pretty well figure out where they are coming from. These positions reflect their longstanding biases.