JB in locker room after the game | Syracusefan.com

JB in locker room after the game

cto

Administrator
I was not there ... but here is a firsthand paraphrased report from someone who was there during the closed-door players-only session immediately after the game and before the presser......

Before the season, I (JB) said I thought Ohio State was one of the best teams in the country. I still believe that. They are are a great team that has all the ingredients to be great.

People are saying that the officiating was terrible tonight. Let them say it. I will not comment on it, and I hope you (the players) do not comment on it. We lost to a great team.

Jim then went around the room and individually thanked every player for his contributions to the season. It was done calmly and emotionally and with great affection. He emphasized how everyone on the team had risen up to deal with all kinds of adversity and distractions. He told them how much he loved each of them.

Jim, Kris and Scoop then went to the press conference (which I assume all of you saw ... but which I have not seen).

Someone (another person) who was in the media room during halftime also told me that the only subject being discussed by the media there was how bad the officiating was in the first half. I hope the media reflected that in their coverage. Because that is what they were saying among themselves.

I am so disappointed that we are not going to New Orleans. But from everything I heard after the game tonight, it seems like the team was a total class act in dealing with the officiating and the game's outcome.

I think coach took the high road because he realizes there is nothing to be gained from taking the other road. It's not like there is another game to play and he will get the calls in that one. As a long time observer of many a sporting event I can honestly say that the ref's ruined what should have been a great game with the potential to have been another Duke/kentucky 1992.

Likely only a few people will ever know how coach truly feels about this game vis a vis the refs..but If I were to harken a guess, he will not soon forget the blasephemy that was perpetrated in the cathedral that is college bball we witnessed today

I didn't hear one member of the media comment on the officiating after the game. Very strange.

perhaps the classiest comment of all came during the team presser: When asked about the officiating Scoop said:
OSU was a great team and they won. Not one comment about the officiating and that does mirror Joyce's comment above of what JB said prior to the presser.

It wasnt so much the calls were bad; it was the calls made took 'Cuse more out of its game...steals, TOs and transition than it did to OSU. But coach and team remained above it all--and that is to be proud.
And, unlike our first game presser by a rival coach and players, we did not trarnish the win nor the loss by whining about the officiating-- a loss is a loss as a rose is a rose...damn!

The presser on TV was great, Joyce. Not sure what else has been posted elsewhere, but here's my take of what I saw.

JB looked drained, and a bit resigned. One reporter flat out asked him about the officiating and he simply replied, "no comment". He had praise for Sullinger and other OSU players, but not much for Craft, who I thought pretty much got away with mauling Scoop. Was, I thought, fairly dismissive of Craft.

Scoop, and even more so Kris Joseph, were almost incapable of speech. Their answers were classy and respectful, but when the topic of this having been their final game came up, each was clearly emotional and choked up. Kris was unable to speak for long moments before answering questions.

Heartbreaking loss. Ohio State IS good, but I can't even stand the sight of them for some reason.

I was not there ... but here is a firsthand paraphrased report from someone who was there during the closed-door players-only session immediately after the game and before the presser......

Before the season, I (JB) said I thought Ohio State was one of the best teams in the country. I still believe that. They are are a great team that has all the ingredients to be great.

People are saying that the officiating was terrible tonight. Let them say it. I will not comment on it, and I hope you (the players) do not comment on it. We lost to a great team.

Jim then went around the room and individually thanked every player for his contributions to the season. It was done calmly and emotionally and with great affection. He emphasized how everyone on the team had risen up to deal with all kinds of adversity and distractions. He told them how much he loved each of them.

Jim, Kris and Scoop then went to the press conference (which I assume all of you saw ... but which I have not seen).

Someone (another person) who was in the media room during halftime also told me that the only subject among the media then was how bad the officiating was in the first half. I hope the media reflected that in the coverage. Because that is what they were saying among themselves.

I am so disappointed that we are not going to New Orleans. But from everything I heard after the game tonight, it seems like the team was a total class act in dealing with the game's outcome.

Thanks for sharing these nuggets.

I hope we follow whatever complaints process exists. Last year I believe some officials were banned after doing a terrible job.

I was at the game. Good seats, but not real close. Without the benefit of replays and from a distance, I couldn't determine if most calls were legit. One call that I saw clearly was the second foul on Sulinger. Awful call that put their best player on the bench for what, 12 minutes or so. That blown call against OSU was worth several against us.

Someone (another person) who was in the media room during halftime also told me that the only subject among the media then was how bad the officiating was in the first half. I hope the media reflected that in the coverage. Because that is what they were saying among themselves.

I am so disappointed that we are not going to New Orleans. But from everything I heard after the game tonight, it seems like the team was a total class act in dealing with the game's outcome.

All JB needed to say was said in the T he took, first one in three years. Used to be a day where he'd get T'd up over one bad call. Now, if he gets T'd, you know he thought the refereeing was exceptionally bad.

I was at the game. Good seats, but not real close. Without the benefit of replays and from a distance, I couldn't determine if most calls were legit. One call that I saw clearly was the second foul on Sulinger. Awful call that put their best player on the bench for what, 12 minutes or so. That blown call against OSU was worth several against us.
I love how that one call somehow in your mind equals out the abomination of a game the refs displayed against us.

You know what equals out Sullinger being on the bench for most the first half? Dion being on the bench with 4 fouls (2 phantom) for most the second half.

Keita as a prerequisite, was whistled for a foul everytime Sullinger touched the ball, no matter if Keita never touched him or Sully tripped over his own feet.

OSU shot 42 free throws and we are a team that has hardly ever had foul trouble this year, yet somehow we had 4 players with 4 fouls at the 12 minute mark.

4 point swing in the first half with game tied when Triche had an And1 taken away by an official standing in perfect position to make the call signaling a charge when the OSU player was a) moving and b) in the restricted area.

We are a team that usually has one or two big spurts a game and likes to run. You cant do that when they call a foul every time OSU has the ball regardless of there actually being a foul committed or not.

Sullinger pushed Waiters on the hip. It was absolutely a foul. Besides, sitting out in the first half allowed that fat ass to be fresh for the entire 2nd.

I love how that one call somehow in your mind equals out the abomination of a game the refs displayed against us.

You know what equals out Sullinger being on the bench for most the first half? Dion being on the bench with 4 fouls (2 phantom) for most the second half.

Keita as a prerequisite, was whistled for a foul everytime Sullinger touched the ball, no matter if Keita never touched him or Sully tripped over his own feet.

OSU shot 42 free throws and we are a team that has hardly ever had foul trouble this year, yet somehow we had 4 players with 4 fouls at the 12 minute mark.

4 point swing in the first half with game tied when Triche had an And1 taken away by an official standing in perfect position to make the call signaling a charge when the OSU player was a) moving and b) in the restricted area.

We are a team that usually has one or two big spurts a game and likes to run. You cant do that when they call a foul every time OSU has the ball regardless of there actually being a foul committed or not.
Raf said the defender didn't have his second foot planted. The replay showed that as well as the defender noving to the right while Brandon was in the air.

you didn't see it so clearly. Sullinger put his hand on our guys hip. Foul every time.

Sullinger pushed Waiters on the hip. It was absolutely a foul. Besides, sitting out in the first half allowed that fat ass to be fresh for the entire 2nd.
Also, he slapped Waiters on the face.

But we shouldn't be turning this thread into another argument about the refs.

I didn't hear one member of the media comment on the officiating after the game. Very strange.
Our game was the lead on SportsCenter and they brought up the refs. The anchor commented on how many fouls were called, and Gottlieb said it was too tightly called, but OSU adjusted to it better than we did. He also said this was not a FF caliber crew, and it should have been.

Our game was the lead on SportsCenter and they brought up the refs. The anchor commented on how many fouls were called, and Gottlieb said it was too tightly called, but OSU adjusted to it better than we did. He also said this was not a FF caliber crew, and it should have been.
Good for Gottlieb. One thing about him is that he doesn't pile on after the fact.

Good for Gottlieb.

Thank you, CTO, for your comments. JB can be so acerbic in public, and to hear of this gentle, loving side of him is soothing. I believe nobody in the world wanted this more than JB. He saw what he had from the get go but at every turn it seemed his vision was about to be shattered. But he continued to lead and the team continued to respond! It seemed almost miraculous. Alas, there are no guarantees. We beat Louisville twice, they go to the Final Four. I do believe that with Fab Melo, we get to the FF. And that is why I hope that IF Noel comes here for his one and done, he is clean. I don't think any of us can go through something like this again.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programs. Go Cuse!

The presser on TV was great, Joyce. Not sure what else has been posted elsewhere, but here's my take of what I saw.

JB looked drained, and a bit resigned. One reporter flat out asked him about the officiating and he simply replied, "no comment". He had praise for Sullinger and other OSU players, but not much for Craft, who I thought pretty much got away with mauling Scoop. Was, I thought, fairly dismissive of Craft.

Scoop, and even more so Kris Joseph, were almost incapable of speech. Their answers were classy and respectful, but when the topic of this having been their final game came up, each was clearly emotional and choked up. Kris was unable to speak for long moments before answering questions.

Heartbreaking loss. Ohio State IS good, but I can't even stand the sight of them for some reason.
It was a heartbreaking loss ... but we didn't lose to OSU. No more to be said about that as there is a long thread on the Board. OSU is a good team. It is not their fault. They played the game. SU made themselves prouder in the aftermath. Our kids have nothing ... NOTHING ... to hang their heads about.

GO SU!!!

Dead on. Especially, the Triche bogus charge and second half calls against Keita...Sully clearly was out of control on his spin in the lane, off balance and tripped over his own feet while falling and throwing it up, only to get bailed out by the refs. Just awful.

Thanks for sharing. This is the type of info. that really draws me to this site...it's much appreciated.

If the part highlighted doesn't bring tears to your eyes or a lump in your throat...well...

I saw a clip of JB taken in the locker room after the Wiscosnin game. He was jsut fisnighing a speech to the players and called for a group handshake (or slap or whatever). The players came forward with obvious enthusiasm and affection. It was kind of a revelation because I'd never seen anything like that before. I'd just seen the ascerbic JB of the news conferences and the relaxed, humorus JB of his radio show. I'd never seen a passionate JB connecting with his players. It obviously happens but I'd never seen it.

If there's one thing a tournament format will do, it will eventually expose your weaknesses or even out your odds.
The officiating was an abomination last nite, but can anyone dispute that we didn't have the benefit of several blown calls this season?
The theme therefore shouldn't be how bad the refs were YESTERDAY, but for the entire season- whether we benefited or not.
The pendulum swung against us, but throughout the season the officiating pendulum generally went our way.
IMO we were due to get royally screwed by officials at some point- that's what happens in this kind of tourney format.

If there's one thing a tournament format will do, it will eventually expose your weaknesses or even out your odds.
The officiating was an abomination last nite, but can anyone dispute that we didn't have the benefit of several blown calls this season?
The theme therefore shouldn't be how bad the refs were YESTERDAY, but for the entire season- whether we benefited or not.
The pendulum swung against us, but throughout the season the officiating pendulum went our way.
IMO we were due to get royally screwed by officials at some point- that's what happens in this kind of tourney format.

Shouldn't the NCAA tourney be the one place where no one should get screwed?

The pendulum swung against us, but throughout the season the officiating pendulum went our way.

There's a gigantic difference between one or two calls in a game going your way (or against you) and an entire game being officiated in a way that completely wrecks a team.

SU-West Virginia was an example of the former.

Last night was an example of the latter.

I wouldn't complain about one call going against Keita or one call going for Sullinger. We had four guys with four fouls at the 12 minute mark. That's impossibly horrendous, game-altering officiating.

This entire tournament has been an exercise in incompetent officiating.
There hasn't been a single game where the officials haven't blown numerous calls at critical junctures.
My point is that we've been able to overcome the bad officiating, but this one time that we don't, then the focus shouldn't remain on only that aspect of the game. I mean, ask UNC-Asheville how much the officials impacted their game against us. Yet because we won that game, we moved on rather quickly although we all agreed the officiating was bad. Its different when you lose, however.
Complaining about officials is like whining about taxes- bitch & moan all you want, but you still have to pay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom