JB is going to coach his fanny off next year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB is going to coach his fanny off next year

Not yet. There are plenty of good players out there that we can turn in to a team. I'm not saying that it will happen. But with TT and Battle, that is a starting point. I'll reserve judgment until I know what the team is.

Decent chance Battle is gone next year.

So he hasn't been coaching his fanny off up until now? Give me a break.

Maybe there will be no camera shots of him yawning in a post season game next season? Sometimes guys can be inspired, and even get into the zone, no pun intended. It doesnt mean he wasnt trying this year, but the OP could be valid that Boeheim may be more inspired now. I'm not saying I necessarily agree, just saying it's certainly possible.

That is true however you better have guys that can get buckets in the paint consistently. Or offensive rebound consistently.
TT can give us points in the paint. The big question will be can he stop as many points in the paint on defense.

If Thompson improves 1000% on defense, he might only be bad.
I could be wrong, but I thought he was actually somewhat decent against Ole Miss on D. Deflected passes, had some steals and was more active. If our perimeter D wasn't so atrocious there...

SWC, your best post of all time. Well done man.

My two best posts of all time:

1) When JB won his 600th game, he had 200 losses. Igor posted: "If I were a fighter and I had 200 losses, would you think I was a good fighter?" My reply: "If I was a fighter with 200 losses, I'd probably make a post like that."

2) Backstory first: When the Dolphins first got really good in the early 70's, Sports Illustrated had Larry Csonka and Jim Kiick pose next to a goal post. They took several shots and, as a gag, Larry stuck out the middle finger of one hand, (which was positioned over his leg) out . he assumed that one would never get used but that it would give somebody a chuckle at SI. Somehow, they missed it and that picture wound up on the cover of SI! Also, when the last NFL undefeated team lsoes each year, the remaining members of the perfect '72 Dolphins break out the champagne and offer a toast, clinking their glasses. When the Giants beat the patriots in SB42, I entitled a post "Clink!" and posted a picture of that cover:

f802a62f6e435177c00c12237f911381.jpg

My two best posts of all time:

1) When JB won his 600th game, he had 200 losses. Igor posted: "If I were a fighter and I had 200 losses, would you think I was a good fighter?" My reply: "If I was a fighter with 200 losses, I'd probably make a post like that."

2) Backstory first: When the Dolphins first got really good in the early 70's, Sports Illustrated had Larry Csonka and Jim Kiick pose next to a goal post. They took several shots and, as a gag, Larry stuck out the middle finger of one hand, (which was positioned over his leg) out . he assumed that one would never get used but that it would give somebody a chuckle at SI. Somehow, they missed it and that picture wound up on the cover of SI! Also, when the last NFL undefeated team lsoes each year, the remaining members of the perfect '72 Dolphins break out the champagne and offer a toast, clinking their glasses. When the Giants beat the patriots in SB42, I entitled a post "Clink!" and posted a picture of that cover:

f802a62f6e435177c00c12237f911381.jpg
2 things:
1) I had already forgotten I posted this post 5 minutes later, kudos for your memory.
2) Sorry man, wrong. The post from this thread is tops.

I'm optimistic that Moyer and Brissett's athleticism will be a refreshing sight that we haven't seen at the forward positions in a little while. These two are going to be sneaky good in the zone and in the 'hustle stats'.
Roberson was as athletic as anyone we've had. I hope those guys can offer something...anything...on offense and won't be constantly caught out of position on D.

Roberson was as athletic as anyone we've had. I hope those guys can offer something...anything...on offense and won't be constantly caught out of position on D.

Both are lighter on their feet than Robey was and both have better looking offensive games (they can dribble) out of HS than he did. Whether or not they'll be caught out of position a bunch comes down to what's between their ears.

If Frank is our #2 option from deep, we are in major trouble.
That's what I'm trying to say. But it beats just having Tyus I guess.

Both are lighter on their feet than Robey was and both have better looking offensive games (they can dribble) out of HS than he did. Whether or not they'll be caught out of position a bunch comes down to what's between their ears.

High school ability doesn't always predict college performance. Moyer's not the only kid who knew how to dribble before he got to SU:

High school ability doesn't always predict college performance. Moyer's not the only kid who knew how to dribble before he got to SU:

I wasn't saying it would predict college performance. I was saying, comparatively, Brissett and Moyer were better ballhandlers and better offensive players in high school/AAU than Robey was.

Didn't you hear? He's a lazy old man now. Doesn't even recruit anymore. Selfish too!

I hear he's just going to phone it in because he doesn't care anymore about the program he built.

How many guys do we have coming back next year - four?

Not yet. There are plenty of good players out there that we can turn in to a team. I'm not saying that it will happen. But with TT and Battle, that is a starting point. I'll reserve judgment until I know what the team is.

We almost completely fanned on this last recruiting cycle. Nearly all of the good players in this class have been taken, Dasher. Are we going to fill the whole squad with 5th year players and JUCO transfers? It took people too long to learn the defense this year. I guess we are going to see the same thing again next year, if we can fill out a full squad.

Coach K has had 5 surgeries in the past year.

Some guys still do the legwork that it take to win. Some guys have been delegating too much.

How many guys do we have coming back next year - four?

We have Battle, Thompson, Howard, Moyer, Sidbee, Chukwu, Brissett and howard washington. We are one or two pieces away form being a solid team. the roster is not finished yet and i trust the staff to add one or two more pieces that will help. And aside from this upcoming year we have had two very solid recruiting classes come in, one of which was a major factor in taking us to the final 4.

We have Battle, Thompson, Howard, Moyer, Sidbee, Chukwu, Brissett and howard washington. We are one or two pieces away form being a solid team. the roster is not finished yet and i trust the staff to add one or two more pieces that will help. And aside from this upcoming year we have had two very solid recruiting classes come in, one of which was a major factor in taking us to the final 4.

Sidibe, Washington and Brissett are not "returnees". They are incoming players who have NO EXPERIENCE. Chukwu probably belongs in that category, too, because he didn't get to practice for most of this past year because of his eye trouble. Moyer had the medical redshirt and didn't look in shape before his foot/ankle gave out on him. He didn't get that much practice time either - missed half the season, roughly, before he started practicing again.

We have 3 guys who have played in the system who are returning. We have 2 guys coming off medical redshirts, and we have 3 guys coming in, two of whom are promising, bouncy front court guys, but again, they have never played the zone. The other one, Washington, was not even our 4th choice at PG, and probably is not an upgrade on guys who couldn't really make it here - like Kaleb Joseph and Frank Howard.

You can be glass-half-full and I can respect that. You want to be optimistic about next year, but we had way, way more talent on paper coming into this season than we will have next fall, unless we start harvesting JUCO All-Americans or under-the-radar prep players (like Taurean Thompson, in fairness) and 5th year seniors who have done great and want to play in the ACC between now and then.

I saw that Huggins made a recruiting trip after winning an NCAA game, rather than going home and scouting the next opponent. I wonder when the last time was that JB was in a high school gym looking at a player.

A bunch. Schollie limits killed any chance at depth, though.

Even with our 3 commits, we have FIVE open spots on the roster, taking sanctions into account. FIVE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom