JB is going to coach his fanny off next year | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

JB is going to coach his fanny off next year

Even with our 3 commits, we have FIVE open spots on the roster, taking sanctions into account. FIVE.

3 by my count. We're down to 11 scholarships, yes?

edit: btw, when I said our depth was killed, I meant that the scholarship limits prevented us from carrying extra guys into next season, not that we couldn't add depth. Wasn't sure if that was clear originally.

Sidibe, Washington and Brissett are not "returnees". They are incoming players who have NO EXPERIENCE. Chukwu probably belongs in that category, too, because he didn't get to practice for most of this past year because of his eye trouble. Moyer had the medical redshirt and didn't look in shape before his foot/ankle gave out on him. He didn't get that much practice time either - missed half the season, roughly, before he started practicing again.

We have 3 guys who have played in the system who are returning. We have 2 guys coming off medical redshirts, and we have 3 guys coming in, two of whom are promising, bouncy front court guys, but again, they have never played the zone. The other one, Washington, was not even our 4th choice at PG, and probably is not an upgrade on guys who couldn't really make it here - like Kaleb Joseph and Frank Howard.

You can be glass-half-full and I can respect that. You want to be optimistic about next year, but we had way, way more talent on paper coming into this season than we will have next fall, unless we start harvesting JUCO All-Americans or under-the-radar prep players (like Taurean Thompson, in fairness) and 5th year seniors who have done great and want to play in the ACC between now and then.

I saw that Huggins made a recruiting trip after winning an NCAA game, rather than going home and scouting the next opponent. I wonder when the last time was that JB was in a high school gym looking at a player.

You can look at it that way if you choose but id look at it as Moyer is a sophomore who has had a full year learning the system, also while lydon is not gone yet (although i consider him to be gone) he was rated the 73rd national recruit, we have had success with guys who are not in the top 50 before and we will continue to do so going forward because i think sidbee and brisset and undervalued. Our staff has had some recruiting misses lately but i think these guys are gonna be more after TT/TL in the hidden gem category rather than chino/buss in the bust category. Washington on the other hand is a project ill admit and wont have much impact if any.. I think if we add a scoring SF via grad transfer and a PG with experience or a new PG recruit and combine that with hopefully a mature and improved Frank Howard we have the makings of a solid team. I see Battle making the ascent to a superstar next year and if things go our way TT as well. A full off-season working on his game and body in cuse can do wonders and most players make the biggest jump from freshman to soph years. Also look at the roster last year after Malachi declared. Was looking bleak and than we go out and add gillon, white and thompson, the roster is no where near set so we can debate this all day but until we find out what the final roster looks like all of this will just be pure speculation.

We almost completely fanned on this last recruiting cycle. Nearly all of the good players in this class have been taken, Dasher. Are we going to fill the whole squad with 5th year players and JUCO transfers? It took people too long to learn the defense this year. I guess we are going to see the same thing again next year, if we can fill out a full squad.
I'm not sure that is true. I think both Gillon and White were poor defenders for the zone. No matter how much experience they had with the zone. It's a tough way to go but the 5th year guys that are available are better players than most high school sr's. We can survive this. First step is to keep battle and TT. That looks to be happening. Add the right 5th year guys and we might have something. Meanwhile, the sanctions are just about up and hopefully we can hit the recruiting road with gusto this year.

3 by my count. We're down to 11 scholarships, yes?

edit: btw, when I said our depth was killed, I meant that the scholarship limits prevented us from carrying extra guys into next season, not that we couldn't add depth. Wasn't sure if that was clear originally.

Aren't we only docked one scholarship for next year? I think it's the last year, isn't it? We were supposed to have the full slate back when Mike took over in 2018. So that makes 4, not 5, I believe. Still, my mistake.

I'm not sure that is true. I think both Gillon and White were poor defenders for the zone. No matter how much experience they had with the zone. It's a tough way to go but the 5th year guys that are available are better players than most high school sr's. We can survive this. First step is to keep battle and TT. That looks to be happening. Add the right 5th year guys and we might have something. Meanwhile, the sanctions are just about up and hopefully we can hit the recruiting road with gusto this year.

Dash, I meant the fall signing period that just ended, with us not getting any of our 11 or 12 people who we had targeted for the entire preceding 2 years. None of them. Sidibe and Brissett are nice additions, but were late risers and were nowhere among our early offers.

Dash, I meant the fall signing period that just ended, with us not getting any of our 11 or 12 people who we had targeted for the entire preceding 2 years. None of them. Sidibe and Brissett are nice additions, but were late risers and were nowhere among our early offers.
Actually, they were. Those two kids were not plan B kids. I mean we hoped for guys like mamba or Richards. We weren't going to get them and we knew it. Other kids, we did a horrible job with. Guys we should have got. That would have made this a terrific class. Randolph, Tucker, Walker, Green, Coleman. But the two kids we did get, we wanted from jump street.

It's too bad the ship sailed on Tucker since he's still available. He'd be perfect for the 3 next year. Randolph would have been as well.

Actually, they were. Those two kids were not plan B kids. I mean we hoped for guys like mamba or Richards. We weren't going to get them and we knew it. Other kids, we did a horrible job with. Guys we should have got. That would have made this a terrific class. Randolph, Tucker, Walker, Green, Coleman. But the two kids we did get, we wanted from jump street.

Dasher, sorry but I track this stuff closely. We had no offer out to either of these guys until around September. So you can say they weren't "Plan B" guys. But they weren't among the initial offers that we had put out for at least a year in the case of almost all the targets we missed on, if not longer.

Dasher, sorry but I track this stuff closely. We had no offer out to either of these guys until around September. So you can say they weren't "Plan B" guys. But they weren't among the initial offers that we had put out for at least a year in the case of almost all the targets we missed on, if not longer.
I follow this stuff closely as well. We send out our offers in interesting ways

I follow this stuff closely as well. We send out our offers in interesting ways

James-mcavoy-charles-xavier.jpg

Next year will be amazing. He is on a mission.

I sure hope so.

This board was really tough to take this year.

If this thing keeps going sideways, next year will make this year look like April, 2003.

No way I make it through that...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom