JB may coach till he’s 80 | Syracusefan.com

JB may coach till he’s 80

The 80 number isn't a shocker to me. He'll turn 78 this season, so we're only talking 2 more years.

He is 80 in a few years. I will say that JAB seems a lot younger and more full of energy than K did the last few years. I think he is more active with exercise and having younger kids. I remember back in 2008 I was in the Virgin Islands with my wife and we went over the the Paradise Jam on St. Thomas. Yukon was playing and they were on our plane flight home. I remember thinking how old and tired Calhoun looked even then. Having seen Boeheim in person a year or two before I thought he seemed 20 years younger.

He is 80 in a few years. I will say that JAB seems a lot younger and more full of energy than K did the last few years. I think he is more active with exercise and having younger kids. I remember back in 2008 I was in the Virgin Islands with my wife and we went over the the Paradise Jam on St. Thomas. Yukon was playing and they were on our plane flight home. I remember thinking how old and tired Calhoun looked even then. Having seen Boeheim in person a year or two before I thought he seemed 20 years younger.
All of this is true, but I know from just watching my own father in the last few years how quickly things can change when you are in that age bracket. Feels like K himself flipped a switch in the last couple years going from an older guy to an old guy.

All of this is true, but I know from just watching my own father in the last few years how quickly things can change when you are in that age bracket. Feels like K himself flipped a switch in the last couple years going from an older guy to an old guy.
Exactly. These aren't prime years. He fell asleep at a recruiting event a few years ago. That wouldn't have happened when he was 50

I remember when I thought Ray Meyer was a really old coach and he retired at 71, I believe. JAB may wind up having 10 years on him.

Very, very true. I was always healthy and very physically active. Still am very physically active. Last August my family physician told me I was in great shape and a month later I had a near-fatal heart attack. I had no risk factors whatsoever (except being a male over 65) and I didn't even know I was having a heart attack. I had upper stomach pain off and on for a couple of days and thought maybe it was perhaps an ulcer or something. Nope.

My point is that when you reach a certain age, you are like a car with 150,000 miles on it. It might be running great and then without warning the transmission falls out or the engine blows up. To cite one of my favorite quotes from a Jackson Browne song: "Don't think it won't happen just because it hasn't happened yet."

JB is blessed with being both alive and healthy enough to do what he wants at his age. Maybe he can continue to do it at 80 but (career-wise) he's on the 18th hole, the home stretch, the bottom of the 9th...whatever sports metaphor you want to use. I personally hope he can coach as long as he wants to, but I try to make sure I enjoy every game in the meantime because it could all suddenly change and we will likely not see a true legend like him at SU again.