JB on Dan Patrick Show at 11:35 today | Syracusefan.com

JB on Dan Patrick Show at 11:35 today

Did anyone see/hear this and have more detail? I'm surprised it hasn't gotten a bigger response since all I remember reading about is from AD/chancellor and the speculative articles and JB responses that it's all BS. This is the first time I've seen that JB actually said he's considering retirement after this year straight from the horses mouth.

I really thought it was more that he might want to coach longer but maybe that's "fake news." Anyways after multi-page threads about silliness like him going to BC how is this not bigger news?

Did anyone see/hear this and have more detail? I'm surprised it hasn't gotten a bigger response since all I remember reading about is from AD/chancellor and the speculative articles and JB responses that it's all BS. This is the first time I've seen that JB actually said he's considering retirement after this year straight from the horses mouth.

I really thought it was more that he might want to coach longer but maybe that's "fake news." Anyways after multi-page threads about silliness like him going to BC how is this not bigger news?

I watched it and all there was was exactly what jb said.

I've been saying this all year. He doesn't want the David Ortiz retirement tour. He has enough stuff.

This would certainly make sense if true... he's deflected questions about it to this point but not sure why he'd change gears now. I do think he has a lot more respect for national media than local media so perhaps he got more candid with DP.

Caling Gillon his best player is pretty strange. I believe he called AWIII something similar not long ago. At the mid-season point he openly stated the team is so terrible due to bad defense and bad PG play (including Frank and Gillon). Yes things have turned around since then but saying Gillon is our best player is a bit of a stretch IMHO.

Umm ...bombshell

I don't care how much speculation there was about this being JB's last year. Here's JB saying it. Reading those words, I now truly believe this will be his last year. Now we know why we can't recruit 2017 kids.

Wow ...

Not really a bombshell.

Some of our "well connected" posters have been saying this for a while now. They wouldn't be surprised to see JB retire after this season ends.

Umm ...bombshell

I don't care how much speculation there was about this being JB's last year. Here's JB saying it. Reading those words, I now truly believe this will be his last year. Now we know why we can't recruit 2017 kids.

Wow ...

Maybe, maybe not. It is just as likely that he is trolling Thamel with a comment like that. He was clearly annoyed by that article and what better way to say "you don't know what your talking about" than to say something like this.

This would certainly make sense if true... he's deflected questions about it to this point but not sure why he'd change gears now. I do think he has a lot more respect for national media than local media so perhaps he got more candid with DP.

Caling Gillon his best player is pretty strange. I believe he called AWIII something similar not long ago. At the mid-season point he openly stated the team is so terrible due to bad defense and bad PG play (including Frank and Gillon). Yes things have turned around since then but saying Gillon is our best player is a bit of a stretch IMHO.

He meant to say best player under 6'. That's all...

Maybe, maybe not. It is just as likely that he is trolling Thamel with a comment like that. He was clearly annoyed by that article and what better way to say "you don't know what your talking about" than to say something like this.

Haha... it's also entirely possible he just hasn't decided yet so he generally does not want to talk about it so yes this could be just to confirm that Thamel is an idiot. Even as an "unconnected" poster I have to believe he has a heavy leaning one way or another even if he does not want to say something he can't take back.

It is clear he is our most important. We go as he goes. Hence: best player.

It is clear he is our most important. We go as he goes. Hence: best player.

Semantics perhaps. I believe most important player, most valuable player, and most outstanding player ("best") are all different things. I believe you are right that Gillon is our most important player because we don't have an ACC caliber PG to replace him. AWIII is both our most valuable and most outstanding despite getting shut down by Jones yesterday.

Umm ...bombshell

Wow ...

I listened to the whole thing and, in context, this is not the "bombshell" you think it is. He said (paraphrase) "yeah, there's a plan in place, but plans change. This might even be my last year." He just meant that the plan is not necessarily set in stone.

If there is a bombshell, it's that Boeheim thinks the situation is still fluid, plan or no plan. He will go on his own timetable - or, at least, that's what he wants the world to think.

I also figured he'd leave a year early to avoid the pomp and circumstance. But, if the team were to lose the next three and miss the tournament, it's hard to imagine him going out like that.

He meant to say best player under 6'. That's all...
Seriously, I think he meant our best player last night.

He's always been a proponent of finding the hot hand, and going to it. Anyone remember the 1992 BET? In the semis, we faced SHall, the #1 seed. We trailed most of the game, and came back in the last 5 minutes, mostly due to Michael Edwards, who had been in the doghouse most of the season. JB called Edwards' number about 4 times in a row, and he scored on 3 of them. The next day, we beat GTown for the title when Dave Johnson hit a 10-footer over Mourning.

I think the best part of the whole thing is that Dan Patrick texted Juli Boeheim last night that we were winning at the 9 minute mark. He just said this could be his last year in the sense that things can change and you never know. Sometimes you have bad weeks and think about retiring and other weeks you don't. It seems clear to me that he doesn't view next year as for sure the end for him. Will be interesting to see what happens.

John Gillon has been a find for this team. It doesn't matter what his height is. He can flat out play and beat you in the ACC. I hate the height qualifiers all the time, especially coming from broadcast announcers.

That kid made the last TWO plays of the night. He stuck his man on the defensive end and then drained the 3-pointer at the other end

Not really a bombshell.

Some of our "well connected" posters have been saying this for a while now. They wouldn't be surprised to see JB retire after this season ends.
Yeah only like 1000 times has it been brought up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom