Jb strength weakness. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jb strength weakness.

I think this is very accurate. But much to my disappointment, we have been very bad at winning times. We have been horrible at the end of half and game situations with the clock. The Ville should never have got the ball at the end of the first half and the end of regulation. We almost lost to the Tigers because of the same type of error at the end of the first half. And I haven't even got to when we intentionally foul at the end of games. Always way too early.

This season, maybe, but historically we win an absurd percentage of close games, like say decided by 5 points or less. It has always been one of his strengths as a coach. We may hate when he tries to run out the clock "too soon", etc., but his record is so remarkable in large part because of how well we have done in close games over the years.

Agree completely...I mean how much "skills" teaching should JB be doing with young men who have been playing basketball their whole life and are now 18+ years old?

Well, when the skills are deficient, or when you recruit a kid who has never actually BEEN a point guard before to PLAY point guard, then I think some skills instruction remains in order.

There are so many AAU teams. It's a tall order what you are asking.

We are a top 10 recruiting program. There are enough AAU programs out there that we could get somebody. Autry used to coach AAU. Troy Weaver was our most important recent coach with substantial AAU experience. Before that it was Wayne Morgan. And I guess that the short guy who is at Eastern Michigan, I think he was an AAU coach, too, after Weaver left for the NBA. It's where people get experience.

Well, when the skills are deficient, or when you recruit a kid who has never actually BEEN a point guard before to PLAY point guard, then I think some skills instruction remains in order.

Well, therein lies the larger underlining problem, evident by our major struggles at the point guard position since Ennis' departure. At this level, you just can't recruit a player who has never played the most critical position on the floor and/or not already possess those skills, for the most part, in his toolbox. You may get lucky once in a blue moon because of sheer talent, etc., but it's way too risky for consistent reliability and success. Honing skills is one thing, developing them anew is another.

Well, therein lies the larger underlining problem, evident by our major struggles at the point guard position since Ennis' departure. At this level, you just can't recruit a player who has never played the most critical position on the floor and/or not already possess those skills, for the most part, in his toolbox. You may get lucky once in a blue moon because of sheer talent, etc., but it's way too risky for consistent reliability and success. Honing skills is one thing, developing them anew is another.

We need to recruit a 3 star players who stay all 4 years and become core players junior and senior years. With our HOF coach on the verge of retirement we can't compete for one-and-dones. The 13 to 10 scholarship reduction absolutely killed our program. After this year we may not see the NCAA tournament for 5 to 7 years.

Who knows ... early indications are that Hop isn't going with 100% zone. The zone is great defense when the right personnel are in it and they all know the rotations and slides. But it's not great when the players don't have the size/skill or requisite knowledge. Practice time is limited. If you're not focused on teaching and drilling the intricacies of a defense maybe more time can be devoted to drilling fundamentals.
But can't that be said just about any defense? Full court / half court pressing requires the right personal plus added depth. Even different m-2-m works better with different skill sets. And all demand a certain amount of "requisite knowledge".

The 13 to 10 scholarship reduction absolutely killed our program. After this year we may not see the NCAA tournament for 5 to 7 years
Whaaaat? That's nonsense. A) JAB rarely has 13 players on the roster anyway and B) after the sanctions, he still doesn't fill out the roster.
But can't that be said just about any defense? Full court / half court pressing requires the right personal plus added depth. Even different m-2-m works better with different skill sets. And all demand a certain amount of "requisite knowledge".
Sure, but these kids all play some form of M2M starting in jr. high. Gillon and White even said that's been difficult to pick up the zone quickly. People have talked about how short guards make the zone less effective. How many waterbug guards have been M2M pests against SU over the years? JAB has stated that he can't teach M2M because the zone takes too much time to practice. That's not the hallmark of a not complicated defense. JAB recruits specific player types.

I'd be curious to know the different skill sets you mention. Defense really is about 99.9% effort, mindset, mental toughness, grit, etc., along with athletic prowess. Man to man is the standard defense. I cringe when JB says our (high level) athletes can't play man to man. It that was really true, that says more about JB than anything else, imo. We certainly get the high caliber of athlete to be able to play it, if JB chose to do so.

I worked JBs camp and think he is a great coach. Im disappointed in his public criticism of players as i feel he has become harsher more callused as he ages. But that is not my point.

Jim has forever been a great game coach. He simply has a gift for in game coaching. What he doesnt have and those who know him will agree is the gift to teach skills. JB recruits athletes who fit the bill and teaches them the nuances of the zone. He teaches them a system not skills. As to O it is loose as a goose. Concepts that allows talent to flurish. Without talent especially at the guard position it falters. I point this out because for as brilliant a game coach JB completely relies on his assistants to coach skills. Going forward i hope that this continues with Hop and i hope that he back fills JB with a great recruiter who can also teach up players.
He delegates those duties. A CEO doesn't make daily deposits.

I'd be curious to know the different skill sets you mention. Defense really is about 99.9% effort, mindset, mental toughness, grit, etc., along with athletic prowess. Man to man is the standard defense. I cringe when JB says our (high level) athletes can't play man to man. It that was really true, that says more about JB than anything else, imo. We certainly get the high caliber of athlete to be able to play it, if JB chose to do so.
Off the top of my head and considering your 99.9( effort etc, is equal, would you rather have a 6'5" kid with a wing span of 6'7" at the top of the zone or a 6' kid with a 6' wing span. On M-2-M, would you prefer a 6 foot kid with really quick hands playing or a slower 6'5" kid. A 6' 165 lb guard trying to play tight D, bumping and pushing thru picks or a 6' 200 lb kid. JB's choice of tall, lean and long kids is good for zone but their effectiveness is reduced in M-2-M.

Off the top of my head and considering your 99.9( effort etc, is equal, would you rather have a 6'5" kid with a wing span of 6'7" at the top of the zone or a 6' kid with a 6' wing span. On M-2-M, would you prefer a 6 foot kid with really quick hands playing or a slower 6'5" kid. A 6' 165 lb guard trying to play tight D, bumping and pushing thru picks or a 6' 200 lb kid. JB's choice of tall, lean and long kids is good for zone but their effectiveness is reduced in M-2-M.

Your reply has nothing to do with "skills" and that was the premise of my post in regards to playing good D.

i'd say due to poor recruiting lately we seem to be trying to hammer square pegs into round holes.

He delegates those duties. A CEO doesn't make daily deposits.

And if the person you delegate those duties to is doing something wrong it falls on you. I deal with that on a daily basis and need to decide whether to counsel or fire because if I don't get my team in shape them I'm the one who'll get axed.

And if the person you delegate those duties to is doing something wrong it falls on you. I deal with that on a daily basis and need to decide whether to counsel or fire because if I don't get my team in shape them I'm the one who'll get axed.

But if you have no fear you will be axed?

Why do I feel the need to stir the pot?

devo easily ranks as among the top most unlikeable orangemen ever.

(edit : i'm not speaking for myself but the many fans , students and faculty i've spoken with )

Last edited:
devo easily ranks as among the top most unlikeable orangemen ever.

(edit : i'm not speaking for myself but the many fans , students and faculty i've spoken with )

2005-2008, the Golden Era of unlikeable Orangemen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom