Jb strength weakness. | Syracusefan.com

Jb strength weakness.

kcsu

Living Legend
I worked JBs camp and think he is a great coach. Im disappointed in his public criticism of players as i feel he has become harsher more callused as he ages. But that is not my point.

Jim has forever been a great game coach. He simply has a gift for in game coaching. What he doesnt have and those who know him will agree is the gift to teach skills. JB recruits athletes who fit the bill and teaches them the nuances of the zone. He teaches them a system not skills. As to O it is loose as a goose. Concepts that allows talent to flurish. Without talent especially at the guard position it falters. I point this out because for as brilliant a game coach JB completely relies on his assistants to coach skills. Going forward i hope that this continues with Hop and i hope that he back fills JB with a great recruiter who can also teach up players.

I thought JB was pretty even toned in the last press conference. This team just can't play defense. They had no stops just like JB was saying. If you offense is sputtering defense must win the game.

Agree. My point is kids that play for him learn strategy learn how to play zone but skills are not his thing.

Agree. My point is kids that play for him learn strategy learn how to play zone but skills are not his thing.
I think this is very accurate. But much to my disappointment, we have been very bad at winning times. We have been horrible at the end of half and game situations with the clock. The Ville should never have got the ball at the end of the first half and the end of regulation. We almost lost to the Tigers because of the same type of error at the end of the first half. And I haven't even got to when we intentionally foul at the end of games. Always way too early.

Last night may not be a good example to use on game management. Two HOF coaches with teams putting on a clinic on how not to execute at the end of play.

I think this is very accurate. But much to my disappointment, we have been very bad at winning times. We have been horrible at the end of half and game situations with the clock. The Ville should never have got the ball at the end of the first half and the end of regulation. We almost lost to the Tigers because of the same type of error at the end of the first half. And I haven't even got to when we intentionally foul at the end of games. Always way too early.

I agree on the other points, but don't think much could've been done about L'ville getting the ball back at the end of regulation. With the play going towards the rim and Lydon there to potentially clean up and put back a miss, taking the shot with around 4 or 5 seconds left was good.

That's interesting; I agree generally, but I've always cited extending games with fouls as one of Boeheim's weaknesses. There have been a good number of games where we fail to cut a deficit by scoring and are left with about 80 seconds remaining and resort to desperation fouls. One of the things that left me encouraged about Mike's stint was one game (not sure if it was Wisconsin or another one) where we trailed and started fouling with about three minutes to go.

Other things I'd like to see under Mike: consistency in using glass for shots from an angle, proper use of screens, proper setting of screens, consistent form for free throw shooters, and use of the correct hand in taking layups.

Boeheim's got a gift that wins games. I don't know if Mike's got a gift, so it would help make up any disadvantage by instructing players on the fundamental skills that Syracuse currently doesn't teach.

That's interesting; I agree generally, but I've always cited extending games with fouls as one of Boeheim's weaknesses. There have been a good number of games where we fail to cut a deficit by scoring and are left with about 80 seconds remaining and resort to desperation fouls. One of the things that left me encouraged about Mike's stint was one game (not sure if it was Wisconsin or another one) where we trailed and started fouling with about three minutes to go.

Other things I'd like to see under Mike: consistency in using glass for shots from an angle, proper use of screens, proper setting of screens, consistent form for free throw shooters, and use of the correct hand in taking layups.

Boeheim's got a gift that wins games. I don't know if Mike's got a gift, so it would help make up any disadvantage by instructing players on the fundamental skills that Syracuse currently doesn't teach.
Because JB does not teach them does not mean that they are not being taught.

Very true but the opposite could be true also. It's reasonable to think that, since the assistant coaches come from the same pedigree/routines/practices, that they themselves never learned those skills nor teach or implement them.

If they are being taught, the lessons aren't being learned.

I suspect that his point was that "the program" doesn't teach, because we aren't seeing those fundamentals demonstrated on the court by the players.

Last edited:
If they are being taught, the lessons aren't being learned.

I suspect that his point was that "the program" doesn't teach, because we aren't seeing those fundamentals demonstrated on the court by the players.

But if that is the case, there isn't much reason to believe it will change when Hop takes over. At most it just means 1 new assistant.

I believe it was only a couple of games ago that JB complimented Hop on the work he'd done with one of the big men.

It's silly to say there is no teaching going on.

But if that is the case, there isn't much reason to believe it will change when Hop takes over. At most it just means 1 new assistant.
Who knows ... early indications are that Hop isn't going with 100% zone. The zone is great defense when the right personnel are in it and they all know the rotations and slides. But it's not great when the players don't have the size/skill or requisite knowledge. Practice time is limited. If you're not focused on teaching and drilling the intricacies of a defense maybe more time can be devoted to drilling fundamentals.

Last edited:

Here's the thing though, these kids have been playing hoops since they were 5 years old, playing a ton of hoops, tournaments, skills camps, AAU, etc., etc, attaining and working on a lot of the skills they need to play at the high college level. By the time they get to SU or any high level school, they already possess a lot of the skills necessary, and focus mainly on refining or polishing them at their respective chosen institution.

I've had some experience on the baseball side of things here in the Carolinas a few years back when my son played a lot of ball. From rec, to summer all-star, to travel team play, various camps, etc., etc. By the time these kids are 14/15 years of age, it's quite remarkable the level of skill and play they are already at. A few may go on to very good baseball schools like UNC, USC, Clemson, NCST., etc.

The point I'm trying to make is that by the time these well weathered kids get to college (especially at this level) they maintain the skills they need, for the most part, and just further enhance and refine them.

Who knows ... early indications are that Hop isn't going with 100% zone. The zone is great defense when the right personnel are in it and they all know the rotations and slides. But it's not great when the players don't have the size/skill or requisite knowledge. Practice time is limited. If you're not focused on teaching and drilling the intricacies of a defense maybe more time can be devoted to drilling fundamentals.

I graduated in '08, so I saw a couple years of teams that were not very good in the zone but had some talented man-to-man defenders. It drove us nuts that they never used man. Once I saw a bigger sample of 'Cuse hoops (I grew up out of state so wasn't a lifelong fan), I started to love the 2-3 for its impact in the tournament and for how ferocious it is with the right players who know how to play it.

With that said, I love the idea of a) being willing to get out of the zone when your team is not suited to play it and b) being willing to throw a curveball a few possessions a game to keep opponents on their toes. Like, the teams in 06-07 and 07-08 could have been tourney teams IMO playing man-to-man for stretches. I wonder if this year's team could have won a couple more games, especially earlier in the year, playing some man. When it's not against us, I enjoy watching Louisville play defense because they are aggressive, mix it up, will press a lot, etc...

Also, more and more top programs are taking fifth-year one and dones, but they are obviously a liability in the zone and limit our pool of talent. I also wonder if, to some degree, playing the zone is one of the reasons players don't seem to stay when they're in between as a potential mid-late first round pick. Sure, it's cold, and that may make some want to leave... But I wonder how often our talented players leave early because their family/friends/advisers are saying "Why waste another year playing in a zone learning stuff that you'll never use in the NBA?" It can also limit our ability to get the most out of talented freshman...

So I'd love to see us go something like 75/25 over the course of the season.

Here's the thing though, these kids have been playing hoops since they were 5 years old, playing a ton of hoops, tournaments, skills camps, AAU, etc., etc, attaining and working on a lot of the skills they need to play at the high college level. By the time they get to SU or any high level school, they already possess a lot of the skills necessary, and focus mainly on refining or polishing them at their respective chosen institution.

I've had some experience on the baseball side of things here in the Carolinas a few years back when my son played a lot of ball. From rec, to summer all-star, to travel team play, various camps, etc., etc. By the time these kids are 14/15 years of age, it's quite remarkable the level of skill and play they are already at. A few may go on to very good baseball schools like UNC, USC, Clemson, NCST., etc.

The point I'm trying to make is that by the time these well weathered kids get to college (especially at this level) they maintain the skills they need, for the most part, and just further enhance and refine them.

Agree completely...I mean how much "skills" teaching should JB be doing with young men who have been playing basketball their whole life and are now 18+ years old?

On paper, yes, but a lot of kids don't get much fundamental teaching at any stop along the way and are in need of remedial help when they get to college.

There's a reason our jaws drop when we watch Taurean Thompson on offense. He's gotten great instruction in high school and probably before. It'd be worthwhile to instruct all our players on some of those finer points.

Always been impressed with his ability to dial up a play which is why I am so baffled with how poor the offense is generally.

Always been impressed with his ability to dial up a play which is why I am so baffled with how poor the offense is generally.

The offense is pretty good this year. We are 2nd in 3 pointers made and 3rd in 2 pt% in conference. It's the defense and rebounding that stinks.

stubborn. inflexible, arrogance. these are all personality traits that may lead to a weakness of judgement.

stubborn. inflexible, arrogance. these are all personality traits that may lead to a weakness of judgement.

Don't be so critical of yourself. You are really not that bad of a guy.

When JB leaves, who takes the empty spot on the staff? Is Allen Griffin a good recruiter?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom