JB vs. Bud | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB vs. Bud

Bob Snyder used to run the herald Am golf tournament and would rip cigs and loved being there putting on a tournament with record amounts of qualifiers trying to play. I would love to know if he’s still around. He was always incredible to me

My Grandpa (who passed in 2010) was an editor at the Herald-Journal for about 25 years after retiring from the Air Force. He loved Bob Snyder and was annoyed to death by Bud Poliquin.

Going way back but did he know Arnie Burdick? I met him a few times in the mid 70’s when I was dating his niece while in college. Wild JD girl. Lol.

Going way back but did he know Arnie Burdick? I met him a few times in the mid 70’s when I was dating his niece while in college. Wild JD girl. Lol.
Hmmm that name doesn't ring a bell. Is he connected to the Burdick car family?

Hmmm that name doesn't ring a bell. Is he connected to the Burdick car family?

Not that I knew of but it’s possible. Nickname was the Old Scout. Wrote pretty much a daily SU sports article for the paper. Retired in the early 80’s.

Not that I knew of but it’s possible. Nickname was the Old Scout. Wrote pretty much a daily SU sports article for the paper. Retired in the early 80’s.

There have been three long-time sports editors/columnists for the Syracuse herald Journal, (the evening paper here, which merged with the morning paper, the Post Standard, a couple of decades back). Lawrence Skiddy, from 1919-1951, (his death), Arnie Burdick from 1956-84, (retired, died in 2012) and Bud Poliquin from 1984-2020. Aside from a brief interregnum in the 1950's, those three gentlemen covered 100 years of SU sports.

Arnie was the editor of the Daily Orange when my parents were in college at SU in the late 1930's. He became the SID at SU and then took the H-J job. He created the character "The Old Scout" who would come over to his house on Sunday and discuss SU's football game on Saturday. Arnie would publish that conversation in his Monday column. People have argued for years if the Old Scout was an actual person or just an invention by Arnie, (I strongly suspect the later), but Arnie was not called "The Old Scout". I've never heard that he had any relation to the Burdick family that owns the auto dealership.

Last edited:
underhand_grip.jpg

There have been three long-time sports editors/columnists for the Syracuse herald Journal, (the evening paper here, which merged with the morning paper, the Post Standard, a couple of decades back). Lawrence Skiddy, from 1919-1951, (his death), Arnie Burdick from 1956-84, (retired, died in 2012) and Bud Poliquin from 1984-2020. Aside from a brief interregnum in the 1950's, those three gentlemen covered 100 years of SU sports.

Arnie was the editor of the Daily Orange when my parents were in college at SU in the late 1930's. He became the SID at SU and then took the H-J job. He created the character "The Old Scout" who would come over to his house on Sunday and discuss SU's football game on Saturday. Arnie would publish that conversation in his Monday column. People have argued for years if the Old Scout was an actual person or just an invention by Arnie, (I strongly suspect the later), but Arnie was not called "The Old Scout". I've never heard that he had any relation to the Burdick family that owns the auto dealership.

The Old Scout was made up by Arnie.

After he retired to Sea Pines, he was for years the starter (the person who introduces the players on the first tee) at The Heritage. Great guy.

I was a work-study student in the SU Athletic Department in the 80s. "Snides" was on good terms with JB and everybody in athletic administration. He'd shoot the breeze with everyone when he was off the clock and I'm sure everything was off the record if they talked about the team or something related to the basketball program. They trusted him.
Old school journalism. I think it also speaks to how our culture has changed. We used to have the ability, to some extent, to disagree or even jab at each other without it growing to hate or a grudge. That has eroded quite a bit.

TMI?

Interesting follow-up to the Bud-JB thing. Bud said that JB had compared Buddy to Kyle Korver and Bud pointed out that Korver averaged 42.9% from three in the NBA, (and could have point ed out that Korver holds the single season record at 53.6%), while Buddy shot 36.2% in college, (and 34.1% last year). Korver shot 45.3% at Creighton, (and 48.0% in his senior year).

One problem: they played the clip, (after Bud was off), and JB hadn't compared Buddy to Korver. he's prepared Cole Swider to Korver, (not that the results would be different).

It did bring up an interesting question. Korver averaged 9.7ppg for his NBA career, with a high of 14.4. he was never his team's #1 option. Buddy certainly wouldn't be, either. Which is a bigger problem for a shooter: being double-teamed in college or being single teamed by someone other than the other team's best defender in the NBA?

(I really think Buddy can shoot it well enough for the NBA. I question whether he has the all-around skills they want and how well he could defend anyone.)

Interesting follow-up to the Bud-JB thing. Bud said that JB had compared Buddy to Kyle Korver and Bud pointed out that Korver averaged 42.9% from three in the NBA, (and could have point ed out that Korver holds the single season record at 53.6%), while Buddy shot 36.2% in college, (and 34.1% last year). Korver shot 45.3% at Creighton, (and 48.0% in his senior year).

One problem: they played the clip, (after Bud was off), and JB hadn't compared Buddy to Korver. he's prepared Cole Swider to Korver, (not that the results would be different).

It did bring up an interesting question. Korver averaged 9.7ppg for his NBA career, with a high of 14.4. he was never his team's #1 option. Buddy certainly wouldn't be, either. Which is a bigger problem for a shooter: being double-teamed in college or being single teamed by someone other than the other team's best defender in the NBA?

(I really think Buddy can shoot it well enough for the NBA. I question whether he has the all-around skills they want and how well he could defend anyone.)

You mean Bud misquoted JB? Shocker.

What I've heard on podcasts that somewhat applies to your question (less about a double team in college vs an average single defender in the NBA is basically that for someone that is really a two dribble or less shooter in the NBA (or literally just a catch and shoot), that the biggest difference is the speed and elevation that has to occur to get a shot off if you're a three point person.

Even average NBA defenders can close out with speed and length and athleticism that they are almost tapping fingers with a guy who *appears* open.

So a guy that can shoot the daylight out of a ball in college has to be able to maintain his skill while doing it faster and better and likely doing it on less attempts per game.

So, to your question, I thought Buddy could basically get square no matter what with his shot in college. I think depending on the type of double and when and where it was happening, he could still get a look if he needed to.

In the NBA, on ball defense by an average defender will be tough for him. However, his looks are probably coming when there are rotations happening. And he would have to get that shot off in fifth gear while maintaining the integrity of everything else with his shot AND shoot a better clip if we're being honest.

I married her!!!! Just kidding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom