JB | Syracusefan.com

JB

hoopsupstate

Living Legend
I know I’ve been guilty of complaining about JB when we were playing crappy earlier this year, but we sometimes forget what we have. He just continues to win and seems to get whatever he can out of his teams. Looking around at all the coaching changes, it scares me to death what we are going to lose when he retires. We have been so lucky to have him all these years. If this staff can bring in a great 2022 class, SU will roll again. As fans we can be critical, but we need to be thankful for what JB has done.

I know I’ve been guilty of complaining about JB when we were playing crappy earlier this year, but we sometimes forget what we have. He just continues to win and seems to get whatever he can out of his teams. Looking around at all the coaching changes, it scares me to death what we are going to lose when he retires. We have been so lucky to have him all these years. If this staff can bring in a great 2022 class, SU will roll again. As fans we can be critical, but we need to be thankful for what JB has done.
I just don't understand why you guys don't wait til the end of the season to offer your judgments of Jim Boeheim's coaching ability. How many times do you have to see it, Jim developing his team his way, turning a group of players into a supremely competitive unit by the end of the season?

Lesson #1: This team is not playing better because Jim Boeheim "listened" to his fan base critics. He thinks nothing of your opinions, at least as far as them having any useful value as analysis (but he definitely doesn't like to hear his coaching criticized).

He wasn't awakened to the value of Kadary & Jesse & Robert because he heard some fans say that they thought he should be playing them more. He wasn't failing to play them because he didn't see their potential. He was the first to see their potential, but he also saw the mistakes they were making in practice. The only reason they didn't play more earlier is because he didn't think they were ready to play more without jeopardizing the team's chances of success. The only reason they are playing more now is because he believes they are ready now to make an important contribution (in practice, they've been making fewer mistakes).

Lesson #2: Jim Boeheim is a Teacher of Basketball. Not just the fine points of player skills--he's got assistants to work on that--but how to continually teach a bunch of athletes to play together, how to play his innovative approach to Defense. It takes time. You've gotta stop practice to tell everybody where they need to be, what they need to look for. It takes time because it take repetitions. So if you see failings in the team earlier in the season--even mid-season--you can't extrapolate that the season's gonna be a disaster...cuz we're talking about Jim Boeheim.

Please, guys, you don't have to have open-ended faith in Jim Boeheim working miracles. All you've gotta do is look at the record, the trend, and understand that his teams--especially in an era where you don't keep your best talent very long--are always in a period of continuing instruction toward an ultimate goal. No, you're not smarter than the guy who snarls at his critics. Just try to accept that and you'll enjoy his amazing accomplishments a lot more...:)

Last edited:
I just don't understand why you guys don't wait til the end of the season to offer your judgments of Jim Boeheim's coaching ability. How many times do you have to see it, Jim developing his team his way, turning a group of players into a supremely competitive unit by the end of the season?

Lesson #1: This team is not playing better because Jim Boeheim "listened" to his fan base critics. He thinks nothing of your opinions, at least as far as them having any useful value as analysis (but he definitely doesn't like to hear his coaching criticized).

He wasn't awakened to the value of Kadary & Jesse & Robert because he heard some fans say they they thought he should be playing them more. He wasn't failing to play them because he didn't see their potential. He was the first to see their potential, but he also saw the mistakes they were making in practice. The only reason they didn't play more earlier is because he didn't think they were ready to play more without jeopardizing the team's chances of success. The only reason they are playing more now is because he believes they are ready now to make an important contribution (in practice, they've been making fewer mistakes).

Lesson #2: Jim Boeheim is a Teacher of Basketball. Not just the fine points of player skills--he's got assistants to work on that--but how to continually teach a bunch of athletes to play together, how to play his innovative approach to Defense. It takes time. You've gotta stop practice to tell everybody where they need to be, what they need to look for. It takes time because it take repetitions. So if you see failings in the team earlier in the season--even mid-season--you can't extrapolate that the season's gonna be a disaster...cuz we're talking about Jim Boeheim.

Please, guys, you don't have to have open-ended faith in Jim Boeheim working miracles. All you've gotta do is look at the record, the trend, and understand that his teams--especially in an era where you don't keep your best talent very long--are always in a period of continuing instruction toward an ultimate goal. No, you're not smarter than the guy who snarls at his critics. Just try to accept that and you'll enjoy his amazing accomplishments a lot more...:)
You make some good points but until about a week ago, the "trend" you refer to was pretty crappy.

I love JB but c'mon. Some slight march success aside, this program has struggled since 2014.
You don't get to March Madness by struggling, but if you want to say our regular season results haven't met most expectations then I think many could agree.

He wasn't awakened to the value of Kadary & Jesse & Robert because he heard some fans say they they thought he should be playing them more. He wasn't failing to play them because he didn't see their potential. He was the first to see their potential, but he also saw the mistakes they were making in practice. The only reason they didn't play more earlier is because he didn't think they were ready to play more without jeopardizing the team's chances of success. The only reason they are playing more now is because he believes they are ready now to make an important contribution (in practice, they've been making fewer mistakes).

Thanks for that, Juli. jk

I love JB but c'mon. Some slight march success aside, this program has struggled since 2014.
slight? A final four is not slight. It is a major accomplishment. And interesting that you throw the start as 2014. In the last 8 years, we have been to two final fours and a sweet 16 with this year still up in the air. We haven't been as good in the regular season as we would all like but two final fours in 8 years is damn good. How good? We have only done that one other time.

Read his first sentence a few more times.
Honestly, I'm not sure that the play of the team at the end of the last 2 seasons inspires much confidence

I know, reduced coaching visits for recruiting and reduced number of scholarships had absolutely nothing to do with that slump.
A final 4 appearance during that period sucked too.
I appreciate that we aren't what we should be in conference play but I think/ hope that will change with a couple of years with full scholarships. The full number of scholarships allows for missing on some players and getting lucky on a few others.
The reduced numbers left no room for recruiting errors and we had a few of them

He really is one of the GOAT’s. Say whatever you want but wow what a history of continued excellence.
He is THE GOAT. If the NCAA didn't conduct not 1 but 2 sham witch hunt investigations, SU would have been a selector school all thru the 90's and to the present. How many more wins and championships would he have, a lot. I would say he would have the most wins and the most championships by this time, and by my view, the championship this year is owed to the Orange.

10 and 11 seeds make it fun as an underdog for us fans. But that is not where SYracuse should be multiple years in a row.
At this point, who cares? The regular season has become a macrocosm of a JB-coached game. Half of us criticize him because the results are closer than we’d like, while the other half enjoys the roller coaster and eventual outcome.

Between the talent level, slate of legendary coaches, and biased officiating, I don’t know if JB is willing to put in the effort to be a top-4 team in the ACC. But he can do enough to get us into the tournament, with some exciting upset wins over top ten teams along the way. And as we all know, anything is possible once we’re in the tournament.

In the 90s, I didn’t think he cared much about conference tournament results. If we were already going to be in the NCAA tournament, why have the players expend too much additional energy? Save it for when it matters. 1996 was the ideal conference tournament appearance. Win a couple of games to stay fresh and help with seeding, then bow out against one of the elite.

Now I think JB is that way with the regular season. He’s doing just enough to get us dancing. That’s all he needs.

Has he been lazy with recruiting post-sanctions? Absolutely. Obviously we would benefit from having more talent. But look at what he can do with what he has. Yeah, we keep missing out on big men...only to find a diamond in the rough like Dolezaj, Edwards, and (wait for it) Anselem. At his age, JB isn’t going to have the same sense of urgency as the fan base when he can consistently bail himself out in this manner.

And yeah, he coached his son into Jimmy Chitwood. After all these years, he deserved the opportunity and he pulled it off.

He is not going to change his ways, folks. Might as well enjoy the ride.

Honestly, I'm not sure that the play of the team at the end of the last 2 seasons inspires much confidence
What are you even talking about? We ended last season with a huge win and right now we’re peaking.

This program will attract quality coaching candidates when Boeheim hangs it up and his success is partly responsible for that. Im not worried about the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom