JB's Calling Out Rak In His Presser | Syracusefan.com

JB's Calling Out Rak In His Presser

Don't like it generally. We win or lose as a team. Calling out one guy runs counter to that and its a head scratcher to begin with. The loss wasn't on Rak and that was a shot he's been hitting. That being said we don't know what was said in TO. If they expected Ennis to get doubled, called the play to Rak and told him to go strong to get a foul or bucket (which would likely be what was said), maybe there was some frustration on JBs part, but again one play or one player shouldn't take away from winning and losing as a team.

Agreed, dont like it. Ennis being afraid to shoot and CJ being too not afraid to shoot were the biggest offensive problems last night.

Not mentioned yet, but I thought we got really lucky CJ wasn't called for reach in after Rak missed the shot at end and BC player got ball. CJ clearly reached in and made contact before ball went out of bounds. That would have been an even worse way to lose, but further highlights how out of sorts CJ was last night given that was a seriously silly thing to do.

I've come to realize that JB knows what motivates his kids. Some he can call out, some need more coddling, some he doesn't criticize at all.

I don't think he's breaking any news with what he says in a presser. I'm sure he's said worse to their faces in the locker room and in practice. So in this case, Rock has already heard it.

I don't know - the kid did miss a big shot. That being said he's finally coming into his own, or at least showing flashes, so I'm not sure it's the best time. It seems like the yelling, calling him out strategy failed miserably the first two years - not clear on how it would work now. JB knows the players best though - so hopefully he's right.

At the end of the day though, Rak was the LEAST of our problems yesterday. If we fed the post more we might actually keep the defense honest. Right now all we have is Cooney running around with his defender stuck to him like glue, Grant taking shots/driving from the top of the key, and the super-cold suddenly a black-hole of suckiness CJ doing iso's and making a lot of poor decisions.

He had a pass to Rak, or maybe Grant open at the rim late last night that was a pretty bad miss on his part. I don't know - till CJ starts showing that mid-range game again, I expect the offense to continue to sputter.

I don't think what he said in the press conference was all that noteworthy, more is being made here of it then is deserved. He basically said he needs to take the ball to the hoop and not shoot the hook shot....big deal.

Rak had 9 & 11. Hardly "nonexistent." In JB language he actually had 11 more rebounds than a dead guy, which is pretty good.
He was getting abused on the defensive end towards the end of the game. Admittedly a couple he was screwed anyhow because of really effective dribble penetration, but it looked bad to the eyes.

Or as Gottlieb said in his article after the Pitt game...
He browbeats the Center & coddles his stars. Perfect example less than a week later.
Kinda funny, but true at least the last 3-4 years.
Have to think about prior years.

Jimmy B is a hall of famer for a reason. Although I think he's gotta be kicking himself a little for not getting Roberson and BJ in game action more in the beginning. I know BJ is young but he came with a pretty decent rep as a shooter. He didn't make a lot of shots in his limited action, but they really need another threat to hit the outside shot. CJ has really taken a step back from the perimeter this year. With teams keying on Trevor, and playing off everyone else, it allows teams to pack it in and dare for us to shoot outside jumpers. We could really use another threat, but its to late in the season for that to happen. All that being said, if CJ finds his stroke and Ennis looks for his offense a little earlier in games, we are still a pretty tough out in March.

Crazy to think in 2015 we could have Lydon, Malachi, Cooney, and BJ. A lot of shooters right there, just hope we have a center who can play his back to the basket and score. I've heard waaaay to many contradictory reports about Diagne ( if we should get him) if he is that guy.

Rak had 9 & 11. Hardly "nonexistent." In JB language he actually had 11 more rebounds than a dead guy, which is pretty good.

Well he wouldn't be talking negatively about that line if they were playing Kansas.

You've got to read between the lines with this guy. The only praise he offered for BC in the entire presser was that "they have multiple 3pt shooters" and "Anderson is a pretty good offensive player".
Loosely translated - their frontcourt besides Anderson sucks offensively and they all suck at defense & rebounding, Anderson included.
He was expecting Rak to dominate those chumps.
IMO.

Well he wouldn't be talking negatively about that line if they were playing Kansas.

You've got to read between the lines with this guy. The only praise he offered for BC in the entire presser was that "they have multiple 3pt shooters" and "Anderson is a pretty good offensive player".
Loosely translated - their frontcourt besides Anderson sucks offensively and they all suck at defense & rebounding, Anderson included.
He was expecting Rak to dominate those chumps.
IMO.
I wouldn't leave out Heckman. Perhaps that is to be mined from this also, blaming Rak for allowing this chump to make 3-4 of the biggest BC plays of the game.
His play was very Aaron Bain-like.
That was my theme of the evening "Why is this guy beating us??"

Jimmy B is a hall of famer for a reason. Although I think he's gotta be kicking himself a little for not getting Roberson and BJ in game action more in the beginning. I know BJ is young but he came with a pretty decent rep as a shooter. He didn't make a lot of shots in his limited action, but they really need another threat to hit the outside shot. CJ has really taken a step back from the perimeter this year. With teams keying on Trevor, and playing off everyone else, it allows teams to pack it in and dare for us to shoot outside jumpers. We could really use another threat, but its to late in the season for that to happen. All that being said, if CJ finds his stroke and Ennis looks for his offense a little earlier in games, we are still a pretty tough out in March.

Crazy to think in 2015 we could have Lydon, Malachi, Cooney, and BJ. A lot of shooters right there, just hope we have a center who can play his back to the basket and score. I've heard waaaay to many contradictory reports about Diagne ( if we should get him) if he is that guy.

Too bad we won't have any shooters for next year though - aside from Cooney... and we see how that's starting to pan out. Will there ever be "Taco time" at the Dome in the foreseeable future? I don't see BJ getting any run since JB won't go past 7 man rotation in real games.

Funny how JB's coaching is never to blame in the presser... or his lack of adjustments in guarding the 3 last night... or lack of subs... Quit looking for a scapegoat in Roc and point the thumb, not the finger, for once.

he was frustrated and he knew Rak had a golden opportunity to win the game. It was a great look, Ennis made the perfect pass. Rak basically did not deliver.

Rak busts his a$$ all game to get 2 feet in the paint and post up and nobody ever passes it to him. With the game on the line they finally give it to him and say "deliver". This is total BS. Grant should be called out for being out of position constantly on D. That dump down bucket for BC was all on him as was the foul @ Pitt with 4.4 seconds left. Grant is always too high when his man is on the baseline. The defense looks like a 3-2 about half the time. This also why we can't control the Def boards.
Maybe our HOF will realize Cooney will get some open looks if we go inside first. Every other friggin team does it to us. You would think someone would say "Hey that works" and try to duplicate it.

Just listened to JB talk about the game on a tweet from Matt Park. He said that Roc got a good shot that he normally makes. Nothing even remotely rude was said.

Just listened to JB talk about the game on a tweet from Matt Park. He said that Roc got a good shot that he normally makes. Nothing even remotely rude was said.

"I thought Rak would have a big game tonight and he was non-existent," Boeheim said. "Non-existent the whole game."

"I thought Rak would have a big game tonight and he was non-existent," Boeheim said. "Non-existent the whole game."
Yes. I watched that last night. My point was he seemed to back off of those comments today.

Yes. I watched that last night. My point was he seemed to back off of those comments today.

Yeah I got you, just not really sure why he made those comments in the first place. Why single out Rak's performance when he was probably way down the list of what went wrong in that game?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom