JB's Calling Out Rak In His Presser | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Calling Out Rak In His Presser

I dont know if there is some high level psychology to what he said...but it's not cool in my opinion. People get ripped for saying negative things about players on this board...with comments such as "parents and some of the players themselves read these things!"

So in my opinion saying something factually incorrect and derisive like that ...in a freaking post game pressor...is out of line.

Yes, Rak missed the game winning shot, which honestly I thought with the defender's arms wrapped around his waist was a foul, but couldnt hit a shot regardless all game it seemed. Jimmy should have called out everybody. The team missed what, a combined, 20 bunnies? Half their freebies in the second half? Nobody knew how to use the backboard on layups, airballs galore on jumpshots.. We knew we were going to lose eventually, but to BC on the home floor, that was embarrassing. Worse offense I have seen in a long time, and lost by a single possession.

Truth is, the team really shouldn't be able to play any worse than they did in the game against BC. And that's with all the close escapes we have had this year. That's the best thing I can come out of this with. I've said it a few times, but when Ennis isn't penetrating, our offense is always 1 on 1 it seems this year, just hoping that the person with the ball can make a play. When was the last time you saw a teammate set a screen for Cooney or Fair to go around, and hit a jumpshot, or successfully set up a pick and roll more than once? Somehow we can't do the simple/fundamental things to score.

That combined with our nearly fewest possessions per game in the country, makes it difficult for the team to put up points. Ennis can't be the only guy to set up a teammate. That's our biggest flaw on offense, whether it be our players not moving enough to get open without the ball, or settling for 1 on 1 match ups in most possessions when they have it. Also, we are horrible at layups. And when I say horrible, I mean I nearly expect most layups to miss when someone drives to the paint. I really don't understand how that is possible.

Defensively, I think the ONLY problem this team has, is giving up offensive rebounds. I would say letting up on 3's, but they always happen AFTER we give up an offensive rebound by staring at it in the air rather than grabbing it.

Team effort was terrible. Our offense consisted of airball, brick, missed layup, made shot, made free throw, missed free throw.

2H, Cooney and Ennis were letting guys go right by them. That was the main problem with the bad D in the 2H, imo.

Yes, Rak missed the game winning shot, which honestly I thought with the defender's arms wrapped around his waist was a foul, but couldnt hit a shot regardless all game it seemed. Jimmy should have called out everybody. The team missed what, a combined, 20 bunnies? Half their freebies in the second half? Nobody knew how to use the backboard on layups, airballs galore on jumpshots.. We knew we were going to lose eventually, but to BC on the home floor, that was embarrassing. Worse offense I have seen in a long time, and lost by a single possession.

Truth is, the team really shouldn't be able to play any worse than they did in the game against BC. And that's with all the close escapes we have had this year. That's the best thing I can come out of this with. I've said it a few times, but when Ennis isn't penetrating, our offense is always 1 on 1 it seems this year, just hoping that the person with the ball can make a play. When was the last time you saw a teammate set a good screen for Cooney or Fair to go around, and hit a jumpshot, or successfully set up a pick and roll more than once? Somehow we can't do the simple/fundamental things to score.

That combined with our nearly fewest possessions per game in the country, makes it difficult for the team to put up points. Ennis can't be the only guy to set up a teammate. That's our biggest flaw on offense, whether it be our players not moving enough to get open without the ball, or settling for 1 on 1 match ups in most possessions when they have it. Also, we are horrible at layups. And when I say horrible, I mean I nearly expect most layups to miss when someone drives to the paint. I really don't understand how that is possible.

Defensively, I think the ONLY problem this team has, is giving up offensive rebounds. I would say letting up on 3's, but they always happen AFTER we give up an offensive rebound by staring at it in the air rather than grabbing it.

Team effort was terrible. Our offense consisted of airball, brick, missed layup, made shot, made free throw, missed free throw.

Fixed. They barely obstruct any defender.

Thoughts?

I really don't agree with him. A 5 foot jump hook? That's a great look and one Christmas can make pretty consistently these days.

What did he want him to do? Bash his way into the defender and get fouled(maybe)?

The only thing I saw was a possible pass to a cutting Grant, but Christmas had already started his move and probably didn't see him.

He had 8 offensive rebounds, cleaning up the garbage attempts that CJ & others were putting up. He also knocked down 7-10 FT's & essentially helped us get to OT. I' m not going to fault a kid for missing a shot at the end of a game, especially when it was a good attempt that rolled off the rim. I thought his effort on the glass was very good, and there was no need for JB to put so much of this on Rak. Maybe it's a motivational tactic, or at least I hope that it is.

Yeah I got you, just not really sure why he made those comments in the first place. Why single out Rak's performance when he was probably way down the list of what went wrong in that game?
Likely because Boeheim has high expectations for Christmas and Rak has superior physical talent compared to BC's big men. Therefore, he should have dominated. But he didn't.

Rak has been underachieving for 2 3/4 seasons now. Boeheim is probably fed up with it and is calling him out. The time is now for Rak to respond and play like he is capable.

Likely because Boeheim has high expectations for Christmas and Rak has superior physical talent compared to BC's big men. Therefore, he should have dominated. But he didn't.

Rak has been underachieving for 2 3/4 seasons now. Boeheim is probably fed up with it and is calling him out. The time is now for Rak to respond and play like he is capable.

Tough to dominate when you fight so hard for position and your teammates don't pass you the ball...

Kinda funny, but true at least the last 3-4 years.
Have to think about prior years.

Otis Hill. Craig Forth. Conrad. LeRon Ellis. Seikaly.

Yeah. He's been publicly throwing those bigs a beating for decades.

Like Doc said, he had 8 offensive rebounds. How many should he have had? 15? 20?
Considering the bricks his teammates were laying up, his abundant playing time, and the pizza-and-beer arms his opponents were proudly displaying...yes, absolutely.

Considering the bricks his teammates were laying up, his abundant playing time, and the pizza-and-beer arms his opponents were proudly displaying...yes, absolutely.

If that's the expectations we are putting on him, or anyone for that matter, then we can just bank on them not achieving expectations.

If that's the expectations we are putting on him, or anyone for that matter, then we can just bank on them not achieving expectations.
Considering the natural talent Rak has and the fact that he's now well into his third season, those expectations are more than fair for a head coach to have.

Considering the natural talent Rak has and the fact that he's now well into his third season, those expectations are more than fair for a head coach to have.

15 offensive rebounds against a D1 basketball team? I'm sorry, but that's unrealistic. Is it impossible? No, but it's just an unrealistic goal for anyone, regardless of their ability.

Like Doc said, he had 8 offensive rebounds. How many should he have had? 15? 20?

I think JB might have been happier if he had a few put backs to go with those offensive rebounds.

BC gives up 10 offensive rebounds per game. Rak had 8 by himself. I honestly don't know what more he could've done.

I think JB might have been happier if he had a few put backs to go with those offensive rebounds.

Easier said than done when you have 3-4 guys immediately swarming you.

Too bad we won't have any shooters for next year though - aside from Cooney... and we see how that's starting to pan out. Will there ever be "Taco time" at the Dome in the foreseeable future? I don't see BJ getting any run since JB won't go past 7 man rotation in real games.

Right... We've never played more than a 7 man rotation in big games. Just keep buying into whatever myths you've conjured up about our various rotations over the years.

I've come to realize that JB knows what motivates his kids. Some he can call out, some need more coddling, some he doesn't criticize at all.

Exactly so, with pardons begged for reposting my response from the news side:

Reading between the lines (if there's anything to read), let's assume JB knows his team and what it takes to motivate them. Given the team-wide debacle against BC, he lashes out at Rak, presumably the one member who can take the heat. Poor shot selection? Message to CJ on that one. Not taking it to the basket? Cooney guilty. Disappearing on offense? Message to Ennis to get him the ball. With Baye, the team's cheerleader, playing sparingly, who's left to bring "it" (Coach K speak) to the game? Wouldn't it be nice if Rak responded with anger and enthusiasm against Duke while his team mates tried to help the brother who took the heat for them? We shall see.-VBOF

Thoughts?

Bush League. Rak can't guard the 3 pt shooters, make 3 pt shots, and light a fire under his teammates if they are not accountable to the coach. The kid was asked to play at Pitt and not foul out, so he changed his approach to that game. He has had no backup now for a few games and JB has to skewer him like that for a shot that went half way down and rattled out with a guy draped on him. Total bush league, he should have apologized to Rak.

And you're setting goals that don't exist within the reality of college basketball. So we're even.
I'm not setting any goals. I'm merely offering suggestions as to why Boeheim called him out on Wednesday night.

Thoughts?
Not cool. Playing 6 deep isn't cool either. No mention of that. We have talent on the bench and the way the 6 guys are shooting, why not plug them in? How can the offense be any worse than it is right now? I will say this, that was an embarrassing loss, but maybe a blessing in disguise that may right our ship. The kids got a wake up call on their home court, and didn't have to deal with a crazy crowd rushing the court. Bottom line is Saturdays game just got alot bigger than it was already for both Duke and Syracuse. How both these teams play may say alot how they play the rest of the season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom