JB's last year next season? | Syracusefan.com

JB's last year next season?

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
Hardly talked about but isn't next year supposed to be JB's last?

If so, it may be a difficult retirement tour. Based on the roster projections it looks like we're going to field our worst team in JB's 41 years. Not exactly leaving the program in great shape.

In retrospect, announcing the JB retirement/Hop succession plan 2 years in advance was probably a mistake. Recruiting has fallen dramatically the last two years (scholarship reductions aside).

I used to think Hopkins was the guy but I have my doubts now. This isn't Jimbo Fisher taking over for Bobby Bowden. This is starting to look like Craig Esherick taking over John Thompson.

Hop's lack of wins when he stepped in for JB last year didn't give me confidence.

Bottom line, next year we're going to be horrible. We need to start aggressively courting Jay Wright the takeover. We can't afford to wallow in the bottom half of the ACC while Hop tries to figure it out.

If so, it may be a difficult retirement tour. Based on the roster projections it looks like we're going to field our worst team in JB's 41 years. Not exactly leaving the program in great shape.

In retrospect, announcing the JB retirement/Hop succession plan 2 years in advance was probably a mistake. Recruiting has fallen dramatically the last two years (scholarship reductions aside).

I used to think Hopkins was the guy but I have my doubts now. This isn't Jimbo Fisher taking over for Bobby Bowden. This is starting to look like Craig Esherick taking over John Thompson.

Hop's lack of wins when he stepped in for JB last year didn't give me confidence.

Bottom line, next year we're going to be horrible. We need to start aggressively courting Jay Wright the takeover. We can't afford to wallow in the bottom half of the ACC while Hop tries to figure it out.
I would be ecstatic to have Jay Wright, but why in the world would he leave NOVA?

I would be ecstatic to have Jay Wright, but why in the world would he leave NOVA?
ACC is a massive upgrade over the BE.

Melo Center and (upgraded) Dome are a massive upgrade over Nova's facilities.

Nova's strong run over the past two years is likely to be on a decline next year. They could slip to the middle of the BE fairly quickly.

Billy Donavon.

I don't get the hop love. I'm sure he was filling marching orders when he was the hc for those few games but he showed me nothing. Yes he has been loyal but loyalty doesn't mean you're qualified. You're su, have the melon center, the dome And the acc go get someone with experience and pay for it. This could be Shafer 2.0

Hardly ever talked about? Ok...

How many times are posters gonna mention trying to get Jay Wright? I don't get why so many of our fans would think that he would leave Nova at this point. He's been there what, 15 years? He's probably had plenty of chances to go to larger programs. He isn't going to leave the year after winning the championship and following up with the #1 overall seed. Plus I'm pretty sure he makes a decent amount more than Boeheim

no disrespect to the OP but really? another of these threads? did you not read or post in any of the dozens of these over the last 3 months?

no disrespect to the OP but really? another of these threads? did you not read or post in any of the dozens of these over the last 3 months?
No. Too busy reading the Battle and Lydon going pro threads.

I have to agree, I'm terrified of HOP's transition. Not too mention... GMac on the recruiting trail, I just don't know!

Might be off base and irrelevant but we need an outspoken NY'er attitude & grinder on the trail. GMac went fishing all summer while in college. Hope that has changed.

We don't make money in Football, how long can they keep the dome inflated if we bomb out for 4-5 years in bball? Are we always going to hire like a mid major?

I believe Hop deserves a chance. I for one will support him. Hopefully we don't start crucifing him in the first year or two.
If Hop misses the tourney his first two years, that seat will get awfully hot fast. He's being given a chance but I bet it's a pretty short leash.

My thread was deleted, maybe a bit much for it's own thread, but this is what I hope to hear at Boeheim's next presser... Just don't get the people on JB. They have no idea what we have in him at Syracuse.

If Hop misses the tourney his first two years, that seat will get awfully hot fast. He's being given a chance but I bet it's a pretty short leash.

And it's not like he's a completely new coach needing time to get his guys and system in place. He has had direct say in what the roster will be when he takes over. So far it doesn't look great.

and (again, no disrespect intended) but clamoring for Jay Wright is a ridiculous non-starter
Why?

I don't see it as improbable if we want to pony up the money. He's at the top of the (wish) list.

There's other options like Archie Miller.

Promoting a long standing assistant to head coach of a high major program rarely works out well. Jamie Dixon is the only one that comes to recent memory.

I believe Hop deserves a chance. I for one will support him. Hopefully we don't start crucifing him in the first year or two.

I'll support him for a 2/3 year trial run! We are a premier program, I hope to see the right things happening in year two.

I'm slightly concerned although not terrified (like most here) about recruiting. But if there was ever a time to turn up the heat and snag some great recruits early (like we used to) it would be for 2017 & 2018 seasons.

Many here say we are doing the opposite right now! But many here are too negative IMO.

I still think JB is done once we finish this year. And I think it's time. I hate that he left the cupboards bare for Hop, but it's time.

iiLLU.gif

Can we stop with the Jay Wright talk? He's not coming here. That would just be a lateral move. He declined the Indiana job when it was open. Hes probably waiting for the Duke or UNC job to open up if he were to ever leave Nova.

Another mark against Hop, if he really is the guy that's taking over after next season he isn't exactly building out this team for long term success. Roster is in the worst shape I can ever remember.

SU can't afford Wright. He would command well over 5 million and they only pay JB $2+ million. Wright has a better job at Villanova. The Pavillion is getting a huge makeover and they have a new practice facility. He owns the Big East.

iiLLU.gif

Can we stop with the Jay Wright talk? He's not coming here. That would just be a lateral move. He declined the Indiana job when it was open. Hes probably waiting for the Duke or UNC job to open up if he were to ever leave Nova.

I *liked* this because you got rid of that crappy avatar. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom