JB's last year next season? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB's last year next season?

SU can't afford Wright. He would command well over 5 million and they only pay JB $2+ million. Wright has a better job at Villanova. The Pavillion is getting a huge makeover and they have a new practice facility. He owns the Big East.

And according to McNabb this morning on ESPN radio, he has a very special relationship with a suit maker right there in Philly.

I still think JB is done once we finish this year. And I think it's time. I hate that he left the cupboards bare for Hop, but it's time.
How many college coaches have coached when they're 73? Larry Brown. Anyone else?

How many college coaches have coached when they're 73? Larry Brown. Anyone else?

Didn't Adolph Rupp make it to about 130?

Oh Oh I know!!!

Mike Hopkins.

Because this was decided years ago.

iiLLU.gif

Can we stop with the Jay Wright talk? He's not coming here. That would just be a lateral move. He declined the Indiana job when it was open. Hes probably waiting for the Duke or UNC job to open up if he were to ever leave Nova.
Good god. Why do people keep saying he wouldn't come here?! Are you just trying to protect yourself from potential rejection?

Until the question has been formally asked to Jay Wright, then there is always a possibility. You need to stop the defeatist attitude. Anything is possible if you pursue it hard enough.

And no, despite their recent success, SU is not a lateral move from Nova.

Good god. Why do people keep saying he wouldn't come here?! Are you just trying to protect yourself from potential rejection?

Until the question has been formally asked to Jay Wright, then there is always a possibility. You need to stop the defeatist attitude. Anything is possible if you pursue it hard enough.

And no, despite their recent success, SU is not a lateral move from Nova.

Right now Nova is a better program than us as scary as that sounds.

Why?

I don't see it as improbable if we want to pony up the money. He's at the top of the (wish) list.

There's other options like Archie Miller.

Promoting a long standing assistant to head coach of a high major program rarely works out well. Jamie Dixon is the only one that comes to recent memory.

You answered your own question. SU has not shown a willingness to pay top dollar for coaches.

Don't confuse team with program.

Take Jay Wright away from Nova along with their graduating players and what are you left with? A Catholic school that plays its games in a high school gym.

Hardly talked about but isn't next year supposed to be JB's last?

If so, it may be a difficult retirement tour. Based on the roster projections it looks like we're going to field our worst team in JB's 41 years. Not exactly leaving the program in great shape.

In retrospect, announcing the JB retirement/Hop succession plan 2 years in advance was probably a mistake. Recruiting has fallen dramatically the last two years (scholarship reductions aside).

I used to think Hopkins was the guy but I have my doubts now. This isn't Jimbo Fisher taking over for Bobby Bowden. This is starting to look like Craig Esherick taking over John Thompson.

Hop's lack of wins when he stepped in for JB last year didn't give me confidence.

Bottom line, next year we're going to be horrible. We need to start aggressively courting Jay Wright the takeover. We can't afford to wallow in the bottom half of the ACC while Hop tries to figure it out.
Jay wright isn't coming here. He makes a lot more $4 at Nova and after winning a title is set for life at Nova.

Don't confuse team with program.

Take Jay Wright away from Nova along with their graduating players and what are you left with? A Catholic school that plays its games in a high school gym.

I know it makes sense but we're not UK, Duke, UCLA, Indiana, we're not going to get a coach like Wright if we do go out and hire one (it's Hopkins). He has zero reason to leave there and a lateral movement or a slight promotion isn't going to change that.

You answered your own question. SU has not shown a willingness to pay top dollar for coaches.
Last time I checked we haven't pursued a new basketball coach in quite a long time. Packing in 25k+ fans each game can justify paying high dollars for a coach.

Hell, one could argue we can't afford NOT to throw money at a high profile coach.

Why?

I don't see it as improbable if we want to pony up the money. He's at the top of the (wish) list.

There's other options like Archie Miller.

Promoting a long standing assistant to head coach of a high major program rarely works out well. Jamie Dixon is the only one that comes to recent memory.
Tom Izzo?

SU can't afford Wright. He would command well over 5 million and they only pay JB $2+ million. Wright has a better job at Villanova. The Pavillion is getting a huge makeover and they have a new practice facility. He owns the Big East.

SU has decided they wouldn't afford Jay Wright. They definitely could afford him.

If JB didn't have such name recognition, deals with sneaker companies and etc... then the University would have to pay him much more.

The board is cheap and they have been very fortunate! Hop being wildly successful from the jump is not statistically likely. So god forbid if he fails; they better bring a wheelbarrel of cash to the table.

Guy Lewis (Houston) and Ray Meyer (DePaul). Both teams no longer on the radar since they left.

It depends if Nova closes the deal on another title.

If Nova wins out this year:

* Back to back national titles. Speaks for itself. They are the dominant program in the East.
* No one is better positioned for success. Great city. Great facilities. Sure fire HOF Coach with gas left in the tank.
* Three national titles. Won two of the greatest national title games ever so they get style points too.
* They play in a basketball city. B5.

If they don't close the deal, they have two titles and we have one. We're a more consistent program historically. We play in a better facility, draw fans nationwide in droves, have more tradition and frankly are just more fun to watch on balance, this year not withstanding. If we got a bye in the F4 semis last year like Nova did when their opponent no-show'd, it might be a different story. Nova can also go AWOL for long periods as a program whereas our worst years are superb for so many programs.

I wouldn't trade SU's history for anyone's. I'm SU for life. But this is not a UConn situation where their tourney performance bears zero resemblance to the quality of the program. Nova under Jay Wright is the real deal.

We don't make money in Football, how long can they keep the dome inflated if we bomb out for 4-5 years in bball? Are we always going to hire like a mid major?

Where do you get this info?

Taxes in NYS are a lot higher than in PA. We lived in both places.

I didnt read this whole thread yet, so I am not sure if this was said. When Hop had his try out, he was following someone else's orders. When he is on his own, you may see some man to man, maybe a lot more for all we know. Who knows, we mat actually see some offense too. I dont want to see JB go, but to be honest, who knows if Hop couldnt be better than the current Boeheim, who has become really rigid...not listening to Bruce Lee's advice to be like water.

Taxes in NYS are a lot higher than in PA. We lived in both places.

Why not have an avatar of one of the Cuomo's then? Theyve likely hurt you depending on your timing, and Im curious how your avatar has hurt you? :) I could go on, but Im attempting to keep my posts way shorter than usual today, trying to be like water. ;)

It could be said that if you want your team to be coached by Jay Wright that you might as well make Villanova your team.

Last time I checked we haven't pursued a new basketball coach in quite a long time. Packing in 25k+ fans each game can justify paying high dollars for a coach.

Hell, one could argue we can't afford NOT to throw money at a high profile coach.
You're preaching to the choir. I'm with you. A million reasons to do it. I just won't believe it until I see it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom