JB's Presser after BC | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after BC

I have to shake my head when I read all the anti-JB posts and how he is behind the times and done.

If he left, the same people would be lying in the weeds waiting for the chance to jump all over Hop.

Sorry folks, but we do have talented players. They just need to get their sh#t together. Vince Lombardi said “Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.” I think some of our players are trending in that direction.

I have to shake my head when I read all the anti-JB posts and how he is behind the times and done.

If he left, the same people would be lying in the weeds waiting for the chance to jump all over Hop.

Sorry folks, but we do have talented players. They just need to get their sh#t together. Vince Lombardi said “Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.” I think some of our players are trending in that direction.
If it's the ingredients fault then the person who assembles them should take some fault.
I don't care who the HC is I want to win games.
Our current HC is a living legend but sometime they don't know when enough is enough.
Our roster problems are on him. I doubt more than 10% of the people don't appreciate JB.
If we had recruits coming in or JB was in this for
More than one more year he would get patience. Next year is supposed to be his last year and next
Year looks even more bleak.
We need energy and change after 42 years.

correct. if you're blaming the lack of effort (we all agree they have talent) of the players then you've already indicted the entire coaching staff.

OK.

Lets take a look at SU defensive performance against all shooting.
Yup. just as I thought. SU is one of the top clubs using this statistic.
Not this year ... but through several years of Zone only.
The facts and statistics support the decision to go all Zone.

But that's not enough for the frustrated and emotional on here are lashing out and who want to replace the coach, the coach-in-waiting, the offensive and defensive schemes and the players who were erroneously recruited for the wrong reasons..

They attempt to justify this with a sheer patina of logic. But it's pretty obvious that they are letting their emotions run away with them.

A word of advice. Don't quit your day jobs to pursue a career as an AD or an NBA GM.

Where's the stat of "SU defensive performance against all shooting?" Link? Citation? What does that even mean? Does it account for competition, or pace of play? How does it correlate to 10-10 in the ACC? Are you saying we're amazing on defense, and piss-poor on offense, and that's what accounts for league-average overall?

Are you suggesting every other coach is an idiot for not following JB's model?

A 'sheer patina of logic.' That phrase alone encapsulates so much of what you say. Was that intentionally nonsensical?

I dont get the rationale: he gets ZERO credit for last yrs FF, it was simply luck and out of his control. But he gets ALL credit for this year, its completely in his control.

But by the same token, if he deserved praise for last yrs FF, he certainly deserves criticism for this years effort...so far....

In the end you see a coach who can achieve incredible success and some failure in a short period of time (and also a long period of time). Thats sports. He should leave on his own terms imo

Last edited:
Didn't even listen to the whole thing.

This situation is SCREAMING for a good sports psychologist for the team. Maybe a few working in tandem.

Jimmy sounds fine. Resigned to having his unbeaten streak end.

It's been a terrific run. Nothing to be ashamed of.

It's open season on Hop already and many are already writing him off. Tough room.

Has everyone forgotten the way we used to run teams out of the gym from the zone???
The zone is built for transition basketball - except we can't seem to run anymore.
We haven't done that since Ennis. Ennis ruined our fast break.

Getting out in transition isn't an offensive system. That is running after turnovers. When the game slows down and we can't force turnovers an offensive system is required to produce points. ISO basketball is great when you have a young Melo and he can command attention from everyone on the court but when you don't have a dominate player like that ISO basketball is tired boring and lazy. Now we are running a half hearted pick and roll type offenses with suspect guard play. There is no creativity on the offensive side of the ball and there really hasn't been in a while. If we don't get out and run we stall out.

Don't understand why Boeheim seems philosophically opposed to other defensive schemes than the 2-3 zone. Why so enamored? Can one defense be the sole answer to every opponents offense? A coach who believes that to be the case by definition is inflexible. No simple answers but beginning to believe the game has passed-by Boeheim.

If it's the ingredients fault then the person who assembles them should take some fault.
I don't care who the HC is I want to win games.
Our current HC is a living legend but sometime they don't know when enough is enough.
Our roster problems are on him. I doubt more than 10% of the people don't appreciate JB.
If we had recruits coming in or JB was in this for
More than one more year he would get patience. Next year is supposed to be his last year and next
Year looks even more bleak.
We need energy and change after 42 years.

One thing I will say - every player on the team except for Chukwu was a top 100 player. It's not a talent issue. It's a confidence and execution issue. We have executed damn well against lesser teams. That's why I thought this group might get it together and go on a run, even against the ACC. But there is a quitter mentality that has struck this team.

I think part of it is on JB because he has been even more surly than usual the past few seasons, and some guys just can't take it, or at least they don't take it like others have before. Too many players broken down, too much negativity about what we CAN'T do. JB needs to take a page from Dino's book and start building up the confidence of these players, or else step aside. What he's doing now has us staring down the barrel of a 20 loss season.

Don't understand why Boeheim seems philosophically opposed to other defensive schemes than the 2-3 zone. Why so enamored? Can one defense be the sole answer to every opponents offense? A coach who believes that to be the case by definition is inflexible. No simple answers but beginning to believe the game has passed-by Boeheim.

The answer is because teams have to throw out a lot of their usual offense when they play against us. Teams have to adjust to us, not the other way around. That's a huge advantage. The zone itself is a terrific defense. It's just that these new guys are not closing out on shooters and our two best defensive rebounders have been told they are no good and won't play anymore. And our 7-2 shot blocker has been discarded after 7 games. Not even a cameo appearance. Stuff like that hurts locker rooms. We started the season with 9 very promising players and now we're down to six.

There are some pretty bad teams (and good ones as well) that play man-to-man exclusively. How do you feel about the people coaching those teams?

The answer is because teams have to throw out a lot of their usual offense when they play against us. Teams have to adjust to us, not the other way around. That's a huge advantage. The zone itself is a terrific defense. It's just that these new guys are not closing out on shooters and our two best defensive rebounders have been told they are no good and won't play anymore. And our 7-2 shot blocker has been discarded after 7 games. Not even a cameo appearance. Stuff like that hurts locker rooms. We started the season with 9 very promising players and now we're down to six.
The 7-2 shot blocker wasn't discarded, he got injured. And you haven't seen the last of Coleman; I suspect there is some undisclosed physical issue at play there.

There are some pretty bad teams (and good ones as well) that play man-to-man exclusively. How do you feel about the people coaching those teams?
To be fair the most anti-zone team in the country Duke has implemented a zone for when their man to man breaks down.
UNC has the 1-3-1 when their m2m breaks down.
Hell even Calipari and Izzo have mixed in SOME zone.
I have no problem with the zone when we have the right personnel but this team doesn't have that personnel we should try to mix in a little m2m like we did in 08-09.

To be fair the most anti-zone team in the country Duke has implemented a zone for when their man to man breaks down.
UNC has the 1-3-1 when their m2m breaks down.
Hell even Calipari and Izzo have mixed in SOME zone.
I have no problem with the zone when we have the right personnel but this team doesn't have that personnel we should try to mix in a little m2m like we did in 08-09.
Have you watched these guys when JB has opted to have them press and/or attempt to play man-to-man this season? Be careful what you wish for.

Have you watched these guys when JB has opted to have them press and/or attempt to play man-to-man this season? Be careful what you wish for.
They both come out when in the 2nd half when we are down double digits.
The press is a layup line.
Our man to man defense is when the games have been over 15-20 point deficits they won't make a difference then.
Switch it up earlier if you want it to be given a real chance.

They both come out when in the 2nd half when we are down double digits.
The press is a layup line.
Our man to man defense is when the games have been over 15-20 point deficits they won't make a difference then.
Switch it up earlier if you want it to be given a real chance.
I've seen him go to the press early in several games against second level opponents and was not impressed with the results. As for coming out in man-to-man, I'd expect to see serious early foul trouble for the bigs and would put the over/under on Thompson fouling out at 10 minutes of playing time.

I've seen him go to the press early in several games against second level opponents and was not impressed with the results. As for coming out in man-to-man, I'd expect to see serious early foul trouble for the bigs and would put the over/under on Thompson fouling out at 10 minutes of playing time.
If our guys can't play man to man then they have never played basketball.
I mean cmon they can play m2m. I guess every other school in America has better players than we do.
If we can't even play 10 minutes of m2m I have even less confidence in our coaching staff knowing how to be basketball coaches.

I haven't seen them play straight m2m without a press involved.

I haven't seen them play straight m2m without a press involved.
I think they have briefly late in some of these games, but it's been hard to tell what they're doing sometimes.

I don't have any answers, but it still seems like Battle and Howard have the size and athleticism to play the top of the zone more effectively than we've seen. I'm not sure if the guys in the back of the zone have the same potential, but it's doubtful they could suddenly play a passable man-to-man against ACC teams either.

I think they have briefly late in some of these games, but it's been hard to tell what they're doing sometimes.

I don't have any answers, but it still seems like Battle and Howard have the size and athleticism to play the top of the zone more effectively than we've seen. I'm not sure if the guys in the back of the zone have the same potential, but it's doubtful they could suddenly play a passable man-to-man against ACC teams either.

Yeah, I know the guards have not been great with the defense, but Lydon and White haven't been anything special either. Which typically makes the guards look bad as well. And once a guy gets hot, he's going to hit everything unfortunately, like that guard did over TT the other day.

Yeah, I know the guards have not been great with the defense, but Lydon and White haven't been anything special either. Which typically makes the guards look bad as well. And once a guy gets hot, he's going to hit everything unfortunately, like that guard did over TT the other day.
I didn't mean to pin all the blame on the guards. No one on this team has played well defensively in the zone so far, save for a few brief stretches. The fact that there has been no apparent improvement is what is puzzling. I can understand White (athleticism), Gillon (size) and the freshman being subpar zone defenders, but I can't excuse the others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom