JB's Presser after BC | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after BC

A couple of deep interesting nuggets:
JB said Tyus Battle’s dad called Gerry last week & said maybe Tyus should have come back this year.
JB said looking back Cuse should have just given Clemson the ball with seconds left (8?) and set up our defense instead of trying to score with shot clock down to 1 at end of that game at Clemson.

Tyus Battle is averaging 8.2 points per game in the G League.

There is no doubt he should have come back for his senior season at SU.

He is allowed to do whatever he wants, but from a basketball perspective it made no sense.

Become SU's all-time leading scorer, or play 22 minutes a game in Iowa?

He wasn't going to become a first-round draft pick but look at what John Wallace's senior year turned into.

He is allowed to do whatever he wants, but from a basketball perspective it made no sense.

He wasn't going to become a first-round draft pick but look at what John Wallace's senior year turned into.

Maybe he saw Hughes passing him and the chance he would become the number 2 option.

Didn't Tyus graduate?

I don't think it would have helped either party anyway if he had come back for a grad year.
But he could have played more point guard and auditioned those skills, that would have cut Buddy and JGIIIs minutes, maybe prevents the defense from being so bad, then again maybe trying to develop his PG skills lowers his scoring avg and Tyus didn't want that risk to then hurt his draft stock. Really hard to say if he would have benefited, maybe/maybe not

But he could have played more point guard and auditioned those skills, that would have cut Buddy and JGIIIs minutes, maybe prevents the defense from being so bad, then again maybe trying to develop his PG skills lowers his scoring avg and Tyus didn't want that risk to then hurt his draft stock. Really hard to say if he would have benefited, maybe/maybe not

He never passed the ball. I think if we have Tyus the defense improves, but the offense is probably worse.

He never passed the ball. I think if we have Tyus the defense improves, but the offense is probably worse.
The defense would be markedly better with Battle. He was a good defender. Our defense at the top of the zone is really, really bad this year. He also has the ability to drive past his man, which only Hughes can do with regularity on this year's team. That would make our offense better both because of the chances Battle would create for himself and also because defenses would haver to account for his dribble drive ability, leaving shooters more open.

Imo our ball movement and offensive flow improved with the pieces we have now. Would have liked to have seen Oshae back though, but for selfish reasons. Glad he had his moments in the pros this season.

The defense would be markedly better with Battle. He was a good defender. Our defense at the top of the zone is really, really bad this year. He also has the ability to drive past his man, which only Hughes can do with regularity on this year's team. That would make our offense better both because of the chances Battle would create for himself and also because defenses would haver to account for his dribble drive ability, leaving shooters more open.

The offense wasn't good with Battle last year and we still had Buddy and Hughes on the team. He would take shots away from both of them as he was a ball stopper. I agree with the defense, but he was an inefficient offensive player the last 2 years he was here. I think we still are somewhere around the bubble.

Didn't Tyus graduate?

I don't think it would have helped either party anyway if he had come back for a grad year.
Maybe the reason had nothing to do about getting better or the money.

Shooters being open is a great concept, but they still wouldn’t be getting the ball, because he wouldn’t be passing it to them.

JB acknowledges BC was missing 3 key players first question and says it's no big deal.wasn't a factor. really ?
if that scenario was flipped we are totally SCREWED.

I would not take Tyus over Buddy or Eli, and he is not a PG.
If Tyus is here, Eli doesn't shine & Buddy's development slows.
Eli is a better player than Tyus

JB acknowledges BC was missing 3 key players first question and says it's no big deal.wasn't a factor. really ?
Would they make 19 3s if those guys played

I think he meant in regards to who would guard Eli and Buddy. That even if those 3 guys played the defensive matchups for BC wouldn’t have changed

agreed . but that's still 3 key players and a new ballgame. who knows who wins. good for us. we got lucky.
not that a win or loss here really changed our trajectory tournament wise. also JB's blouses lately seem to fit a scootch better thru the shoulders . did he gain weight or change tailors ? either way who says he doesn't read the board ?

Last edited:

those guys aren’t stars or anything. We beat the hell out of them previously.

well let's just say marek, goodine and guerrier aren't stars. you want to play without them ?

I would not take Tyus over Buddy or Eli, and he is not a PG.
If Tyus is here, Eli doesn't shine & Buddy's development slows.
Eli is a better player than Tyus

LOL.

You wouldn't take Tyus over Buddy? Really?

And Tyus played PG for LONG stretches during the huge Duke game.

Sure, Elijah is better but is it about having the one better player or is about having many better players so that the team can win games?

With Tyus Battle on the team, our defense is MARKEDLY better. No question in my mind and that shouldn't be debatable. Buddy doesn't hold a candle to Tyus in that category, or any category other than three-point shooting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom