JB's Presser after Duke | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after Duke

I believe that was one of the best Boeheim press conference I have watched over the years. He gave a bit of insight of what he sees in a way he probably also expresses to the players as he coaches them. Not sure I recall a moment like that in past press conferences.

I believe that was one of the best Boeheim press conference I have watched over the years. He gave a bit of insight of what he sees in a way he probably also expresses to the players as he coaches them. Not sure I recall a moment like that in past press conferences.
I mostly agree with you. I like the insight. I disagree with what he said to Mike Waters. Don’t see how Mike Waters committed bad journalism by bringing up JB’s comments to QG. It’s wasn’t told to him in confidence, it was a comment he made publicly last postgame. Probably bothers me more than it should to be honest. (That JB said that to Waters )

Meh. The commentary on Mike Waters soured that whole thing. Mike is a pro's pro. Really poor job there, IMO.
Mike held his own. Jim is gonna Jim. He will always be thinned skinned. I thought JB gave an honest assessment of the game and our strengths and weaknesses.

I'm with JB on this one. The only reason for Mike to tell Guerrier what JB said is to try and get a reaction from him. A nice juicy headline...It's his job but it's not good from JB's perspective.

I'm sure all the players and their parent watch the pressers so it's not like JB is worried about Guerrier finding out.

I'm with JB on this one. The only reason for Mike to tell Guerrier what JB said is to try and get a reaction from him. A nice juicy headline...It's his job but it's not good from JB's perspective.

I'm sure all the players and their parent watch the pressers so it's not like JB is worried about Guerrier finding out.

No idea what Mike said or how it was perceived but he's been doing this for a long time. I don't think he's doing anything differently than he's done in the prior 20+ years of covering the team.

Just really weird but not surprised. QG played hard and played his butt off like he usually does. He's not good enough right now and anyone can see that.

No idea what Mike said or how it was perceived but he's been doing this for a long time. I don't think he's doing anything differently than he's done in the prior 20+ years of covering the team.

Just really weird but not surprised. QG played hard and played his butt off like he usually does. He's not good enough right now and anyone can see that.
That comment was about Mike telling Guerrier that JB didn't think he would make a 3 in his life time (I believe)

JB and Mike have had bigger run ins than this over the years...not a biggie

What was JB saying about QG and not playing 20 minutes without fouling out?

Also, I live in Canada, they have people in Montreal/Quebec taller than 6'2"!! I'm sure QG played against them! They even have some just walking the streets!

Karim Mane is even a 6'5" guard! We should have recruited that kid, btw. Did we?

Jim Boeheim knows more about basketball than Mike Waters.

Mike Waters knows more about journalism than Jim Boeheim does.

There's nothing wrong with a reporter asking a player for a comment on what the coach said in public about him.

Jim Boeheim knows more about basketball than Mike Waters.

Mike Waters knows more about journalism than Jim Boeheim does.

There's nothing wrong with a reporter asking a player for a comment on what the coach said in public about him.

I feel like you're just baiting Townie on this one. Nobody knows more than JB.

I they played decently in this game, all things considered. They just don't have the overall talent that other teams do. Alex O'Connell was recruited heavily by the staff, but he chose Duke, and he plays 15 mins off the bench, a very productive time too. I think some of SU's players would be better served in roles like his instead of starters, but that's for another day. Where I disagree with this press conference is the statement about the zone in the past has stopped inside guys. Yes ... when you've had, among others, Etan Thomas, Otis Hill, Rakeem, Fab, Arinze, and Rick Jackson in the middle. Much beefier guys than the ones on the team now, and guys much more capable as low post players. What I think everyone gets tired of hearing is, the guys who the staff recruits to play the C position are not capable of stopping people, and then it's still brought up as an issue. It's you know the problem, make a change to address the problem, instead of continually doing the same thing, and continually saying it doesn't work.

Other than that, you have a team in games that it can score doesn't stop anyone, and in games it stops teams, it doesn't score. They got 9 games left, you can see 3 sure wins, 3 sure losses, and 3 others that can go either way. Mediocre season, mediocre team. I just want them out of that rut.
Kev

I they played decently in this game, all things considered. They just don't have the overall talent that other teams do. Alex O'Connell was recruited heavily by the staff, but he chose Duke, and he plays 15 mins off the bench, a very productive time too. I think some of SU's players would be better served in roles like his instead of starters, but that's for another day. Where I disagree with this press conference is the statement about the zone in the past has stopped inside guys. Yes ... when you've had, among others, Etan Thomas, Otis Hill, Rakeem, Fab, Arinze, and Rick Jackson in the middle. Much beefier guys than the ones on the team now, and guys much more capable as low post players. What I think everyone gets tired of hearing is, the guys who the staff recruits to play the C position are not capable of stopping people, and then it's still brought up as an issue. It's you know the problem, make a change to address the problem, instead of continually doing the same thing, and continually saying it doesn't work.

Other than that, you have a team in games that it can score doesn't stop anyone, and in games it stops teams, it doesn't score. They got 9 games left, you can see 3 sure wins, 3 sure losses, and 3 others that can go either way. Mediocre season, mediocre team. I just want them out of that rut.
Kev
I don’t remember many of those guys having to cover the corners as well.

The irony about JB dissing our center spot and their lack of physical stature, etc. to be able to compete against any team with anyone worth a darn there is somewhat comical. Um, JB, you recruited these guys and you have failed miserably in your attempt to land anyone worth a darn at that position for the past 4 recruiting cycles. I wish someone in the press room would press him on that truth, and unless we land that grad transfer or similar, it's just going to be more wash, rinse & repeat.

He & he alone has created the grave deficiency at this position. And, he should be big enough to own it publicly, just as he publicly acknowledges his particular guy's major physical shortcomings to compete adequately and how both Penn State's and Oklahoma State's big guys haven't done anything of significance, other than against us/his guy.

The irony about JB dissing our center spot and their lack of physical stature, etc. to be able to compete against any team with anyone worth a darn there is somewhat comical. Um, JB, you recruited these guys and you have failed miserably in your attempt to land anyone worth a darn at that position for the past 4 recruiting cycles. I wish someone in the press room would press him on that truth, and unless we land that grad transfer or similar, it's just going to be more wash, rinse & repeat.

He & he alone has created the grave deficiency at this position. And, he should be big enough to own it publicly, just as he publicly acknowledges his particular guy's major physical shortcomings to compete adequately and how both Penn State's and Oklahoma State's big guys haven't done anything of significance, other than against us/his guy.
You're correct, but we should also acknowledge that the deck has been stacked quite heavily against SU recruiting/signing a top-50(ish) center, really since the NCAA came to town in 2011 (Rakeem committed in Aug. of 2010, Fab was Aug. of 2009). That's still the lay of the land at present, especially if you follow the Adidas trials and what was undoubtedly happening with fellow Nike schools (this will come out soon it appears).

Since then, the centers we've signed are D.Coleman (local, injured), Keita, Chukwu (transfer), Obokoh (bust) and Sidibe (lots of injuries). With the exception of DeJuan, notice a trend? I certainly do.

The last 8-9 years, we've been recruiting with confederate money. Everyone's hands were out. All we could offer was playing time, 30,000+ at the Dome and the notion of learning from a HOF coach. Wasn't enough, even with Hop pulling the recruting strings for about half that period of time.

Yes, I could also list Lydon and Dolezaj, but the were/are really forwards.

Last edited:
I thought the NCAA investigation started before that, but I could be wrong. If my memory serves correctly, I believe we initially self reported the YMCA stuff the night we played at Clemson in the NIT tournament back in like 2008. I understand they aren't the same thing. I don't blame the sanctions at this point honestly.

I thought the NCAA investigation started before that, but I could be wrong. If my memory serves correctly, I believe we initially self reported the YMCA stuff the night we played at Clemson in the NIT tournament back in like 2008. I understand they aren't the same thing. I don't blame the sanctions at this point honestly.
Syracuse University Responds to NCAA Committee on Infractions Report

Syracuse University received the Division I Committee on Infractions report earlier today, concluding a nearly eight-year investigation.

The University initially self-reported potential violations to the NCAA in May 2007, and submitted its written self-report in October 2010—after conducting an internal investigation for three years and five months. The NCAA conducted its own review and issued a Notice of Allegations essentially confirming the self-report in 2011. While the University was in the process of responding to the Notice of Allegations, a subsequent violation occurred prompting a joint investigation beginning in February 2012. That investigation lasted more than 24 months and concluded with an amended Notice of Allegations in May 2014. The University responded to the Notice of Allegations in August 2014 and appeared at a hearing before the NCAA Committee on Infractions in October 2014.
The University believes the NCAA’s investigation of Syracuse has taken longer than any other investigation in NCAA history—close to eight years and involving a review of conduct dating back to 2001. The University and the NCAA devoted massive resources to the process. Hundreds of thousands of documents were reviewed, hundreds of interviews were conducted, and thousands of hours of human capital were expended.

Syracuse University does not agree with all the conclusions reached by the NCAA, including some of the findings and penalties included in today’s report. However, the University takes seriously issues of academic integrity and the overall well-being of student-athletes. The University regrets, and does not dispute, that the following significant violations cited by the NCAA occurred:

Syracuse University Responds to NCAA Committee on Infractions Report

Syracuse University received the Division I Committee on Infractions report earlier today, concluding a nearly eight-year investigation.

The University initially self-reported potential violations to the NCAA in May 2007, and submitted its written self-report in October 2010—after conducting an internal investigation for three years and five months. The NCAA conducted its own review and issued a Notice of Allegations essentially confirming the self-report in 2011. While the University was in the process of responding to the Notice of Allegations, a subsequent violation occurred prompting a joint investigation beginning in February 2012. That investigation lasted more than 24 months and concluded with an amended Notice of Allegations in May 2014. The University responded to the Notice of Allegations in August 2014 and appeared at a hearing before the NCAA Committee on Infractions in October 2014.
The University believes the NCAA’s investigation of Syracuse has taken longer than any other investigation in NCAA history—close to eight years and involving a review of conduct dating back to 2001. The University and the NCAA devoted massive resources to the process. Hundreds of thousands of documents were reviewed, hundreds of interviews were conducted, and thousands of hours of human capital were expended.

Syracuse University does not agree with all the conclusions reached by the NCAA, including some of the findings and penalties included in today’s report. However, the University takes seriously issues of academic integrity and the overall well-being of student-athletes. The University regrets, and does not dispute, that the following significant violations cited by the NCAA occurred:
Okay, could have sworn there was some association for something with that NIT Clemson game, but hey, I'm getting older, so I could be wrong lol.

SU94, in response to your two posts above, I'll say, diplomatically, that this sanctions debate has been discussed ad-nauseam on this board in many different threads over the past several years. I haven't any real desire to engage in it further in 2020, as in my opinion, it has nothing to do with our present day recruiting failures. Even when we were still in the actual sanction penalty years, I was of the view that the sanctions wouldn't have an overbearing impact, for the same reasons Jay Bilas cited at the time. Additionally, we gave walk-on players schollys every year during that period if I recall correctly, and brought in last minute grad transfers as well. So, the sanctions, again in my opinion, were nothing more than a contributing factor, but not the principal reason for our recruiting failures & ensuing decline. Others here have shared similar views, as well as those who completely disagree. You apparently fall in the category of those who feel that the sanctions were of the crippling type, so be it.

In 2020 there isn't anything along the sanction line that is going to change my view on that, any different than changing yours. So, respectfully, I'll simply agree to disagree here.

Last edited:

Mike is a nationally awarded reporter. He did nothing wrong. JB was out of line to say Mike did something unethical. To my knowledge, Mike has never been called on his ethics by any regulatory board as JB has been twice.

Mike is a nationally awarded reporter. He did nothing wrong. JB was out of line to say Mike did something unethical. To my knowledge, Mike has never been called on his ethics by any regulatory board as JB has been twice.
He never called him unethical...he said it's the worse kind of journalism...his opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom