JB's Presser after PSU | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after PSU

It bothers me that he sounds like he’s blaming other players for Buddy playing bad. Buddy has a horrible game not just Sidibe. How can Buddy getting special treatment NOT affect morale?

I think JB understands there is a talent deficiency. But it’s hard to listen to him blame it on effort and execution. This team’s effort and execution will only go so far.

I think the time to recognize that fact was a couple summers ago when he should have been recruiting somewhere other than the New England prep school league. Where are the Philly guys, the Baltimore guys?

Obviously this was a pathetic week, and to watch how far we’ve fallen is depressing
let's hope dino takes care of business today. can you imagine 2 football and 2 basketball losses in one week ? how often has that happened ?
(yes i'm calling it one week cuz last weeks kickoff was late and today's is early. so technically same week)

Last edited:
I think JB understands there is a talent deficiency. But it’s hard to listen to him blame it on effort and execution. This team’s effort and execution will only go so far.
I think it’s because he sees what he’s dealing with. The only chance of this team being competitive is effort and execution; we won’t out-talent anyone

I think it’s because he sees what he’s dealing with. The only chance of this team being competitive is effort and execution; we won’t out-talent anyone
Yep. That’s exactly how I read it. But it’s recruiting. Our classes haven’t been Greg Davis / James Thues bad, but it’s been down for three consecutive cycles. The last freshman impact player we recruited was Battle. That timeline sets up with the departure of an assistant coach.

Obviously this was a pathetic week, and to watch how far we’ve fallen is depressing. But before we played them, Penn State was 35th in KenPom. That’s good. OSU was around 45. Both of those numbers would likely put those teams into the tourney or close to it.
And before we played Ok St we were in the 30s at KenPom. Too early for those to mean anything.

Yep. That’s exactly how I read it. But it’s recruiting. Our classes haven’t been Greg Davis / James Thues bad, but it’s been down for three consecutive cycles. The last freshman impact player we recruited was Battle. That timeline sets up with the departure of an assistant coach.

Would Baze have been an impact player?

Can you really blame the staff because some agent gave him a bag?

Would Baze have been an impact player?

Can you really blame the staff because some agent gave him a bag?
Not sure. No one saw him play that year. The following year he got bigger. He likely would have been an impact player, but part of recruiting is keeping the wolves at bay.

The bag argument doesn’t fly. Just about every kid that’s an impact player for the past 15 years has seen inducements. You have to navigate those waters. Convince them that short term handouts aren’t the answer...etc.

Effort and execution are the kind of things a coach is responsible for.

i'd take thues on this team. 2:1 asst/to ratio , 5 asst per game and 101 steals the one season he started.
(record for a season is jason hart @3.1 per game. james and michael carter williams tie for 2nd @ 2.8)

Last edited:
That "so far" is a lot further than we've been at this point. We get these guys working as a team that knows what they're doing and when to do it and there won't be as much whining.
As I said in another thread, these players have only played together for 7 games, actually less then that. PSU and OKSt. both had teams that were veterens.
Are our players great, No. But they are good enough to play better than we've seen so far.

It bothers me that he sounds like he’s blaming other players for Buddy playing bad. Buddy has a horrible game not just Sidibe. How can Buddy getting special treatment NOT affect morale?
You are really a spin doctor. He never even eluded to that. He said they needed to try and get Buddy more open shots. And he further said that Hughes was the only one playing well. Everyone else needs to improve.

That "so far" is a lot further than we've been at this point. We get these guys working as a team that knows what they're doing and when to do it and there won't be as much whining.
As I said in another thread, these players have only played together for 7 games, actually less then that. PSU and OKSt. both had teams that were veterens.
Are our players great, No. But they are good enough to play better than we've seen so far.
Agreed. There are several ways for this team to improve. It will take time. Maybe even half the season.

You are really a spin doctor. He never even eluded to that. He said they needed to try and get Buddy more open shots. And he further said that Hughes was the only one playing well. Everyone else needs to improve.
i hope he meant open shots and not more shots. frankly if it ain't open don't take it. buddy's points per shot is lowest on the team. we don't need him taking more shots. he already leads the team .

Several posts here with lots of spin, as per usual with the presser thread. If you don’t listen to the entire presser in good faith, at least don’t co-opt the thread into yet another anti JB venting session.

Hopkins was doing the heavy lifting in recruiting for years before his departure. The drop off in talent is very related to his departure. Losing him is a disaster for the program and will become more obvious over the next 2 years.

I think the time to recognize that fact was a couple summers ago when he should have been recruiting somewhere other than the New England prep school league. Where are the Philly guys, the Baltimore guys?
Too long of a drive.

Not sure. No one saw him play that year. The following year he got bigger. He likely would have been an impact player, but part of recruiting is keeping the wolves at bay.

The bag argument doesn’t fly. Just about every kid that’s an impact player for the past 15 years has seen inducements. You have to navigate those waters. Convince them that short term handouts aren’t the answer...etc.
Lets face it. Hop was the reason we landed kids.

obv I get your point, but but to say Brissett wasn't an impact player as a frosh is wrong - and it's too early still this year to say there isn't an impact freshman - again, get your point tho

Hopkins was doing the heavy lifting in recruiting for years before his departure. The drop off in talent is very related to his departure. Losing him is a disaster for the program and will become more obvious over the next 2 years.
I think this year will be the bottom, that we have 2 "ACC Athletes" coming in next year with size we are use to and they are not projects that we hope can develop, they are players.

We either need a spring signing or some serious development from our returning players or both.

Our system needs to be built from the inside out so having players going Pro early Lydon, Brissett and players transferring Moyer, Thompson, and a couple of misses Stewart and whatever you to call the Balzey situation we are where we are.

But I believe brighter days are ahead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom