JB's Presser after Seattle | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after Seattle

Assuming Eli has moved on, it’s more likely Richmond at the 3 than Buddy.

Just one fans opinion.
Not necessarily a safe assumption at this point. Word from my friends in Beacon who know the HS staff is that it has by no means been decided yet.

Wow...what the?!? JB gets Belichick-like when asked about Girard immediately after his opening monlogue:

"Can you talk about Girard? How he...", interupts with a curt, "Yeah he was good...(slaps podium rhythmically, then raises voice in both pitch and volume) Anything else?!".

"What made him so effective tonight?". "He made shots. Next."

Would anyone here get that ticked off from that question? Over 13 minutes left and he asks "Anything else?". I haveven't watched beyond that(about 2 minutes in), but wanted to post this to see what others thought.
I didn’t like JB’s initially defensive and cranky comments about Carey at the beginning of the press conference either. It’s reporters’ jobs to ask the questions readers and fans want to know about. But that’s no surprise since JB has always been thin skinned. However, if you watch the whole press conference, he lightened up and pulled back and actually had some thoughtful and insightful things to say about Carey and Girard that fans should know about and consider in terms of his thinking on anointing Girard the starter:

On Jalen: “It starts in practice. He has to play well in practice. Then he has to get an opportunity in games, which he will. And he has to play well. He hasn’t played well with the time he’s had. The best players are gonna play...The guys that are playing are the guys we feel can help us win.”

On Brycen: “It goes by what we see everyday in practice. He’s a very good shooter. He’s very athletic. He gets to the rim good. He’s learning how to play in college basketball, which is not unusual for freshman.”

“Joe’s not going to play like that every night... I mean, maybe he will. But we’ll see. We need Brycen to get better. I think he’s got a chance to really help us. He needs to.”

This was very telling about Girard:
“I think one reason Joe has had an easier adjustment is that he had to do everything in every game for four years. So he’s used to having the whole world on his shoulders every game for his last four years. Probably five. But he doesn’t have the whole world on his shoulders now. He’s got a lot of other guys out there that are good.”

Appreciate your perspective, but not the delivery.
Taking exception to JB's sometimes caustic persona doesn't equate to "clamoring for a shiny happy coach".
Most everyone appreciates directness -especially when delivered in a civil manner.
There's a middle ground.
good god don't watch/listen to them then

Long-time fan. After sporadically viewing this forum starting last season, waded in as new poster on this thread. I lack the perspective on previous discussion of this topic that those with thousands of posts have. This thread appears to indicate the leaning here is toward "that's JB" and fans expressing disappointment when JB exhibits his caustic side are "pathetic", "clamoring for a shiny happy coach", "annoying", "nit-picking".

JB is the face of the program: when he exhibits his caustic side, my first thought every time is "what do potential recruits think of this?". Saying "that's JB" and being an apologist (or indicating none necessary) overlooks the negative impact of his caustic persona. JB is a legend -there's no denying there's a lot of good things to say about what he's done for the program, university, Coaches vs Cancer, etc. Regardless, IMHO his caustic side hurts the program. Therefore I take exception, and find no excuse for it.

We're all aware of our shortcomings. JB could address this shortcoming, but has chosen not to. Therefore yes "that's JB" and nothing will change -this will be the face of the program on his watch. The negative role JB's caustic persona plays in the perception of SU hoops nationally and likely by some recruits is unfortunate, IMHO. As a fan, I'm embarrassed for JB when he exhibits his caustic side, and also very disappointed because of the face it puts on the program.

If my perspective is perceived here as fitting the quoted responses above, fine.
Do you actually think recruits watch JB or any head coach's press conference? He has always had a ly relationship with the press and I'm doubting things will change in the twilight of his career. People here tend to get a little overly sensitive about JB's behaviors and criticisms (some warranted and some not).

Do you actually think recruits watch JB or any head coach's press conference? He has always had a ly relationship with the press and I'm doubting things will change in the twilight of his career. People here tend to get a little overly sensitive about JB's behaviors and criticisms (some warranted and some not).

I'm quite certain their parents do. At least I would.

JB is fine with national press, he's just a curmudgeon with the local folks. And you're right, no way will he change at this point, even if his own kid on the team explains it in detail how his teammates feel.

good god don't watch/listen to them then

Exhibit A for: Saying "that's JB" and being an apologist (or indicating none necessary) overlooks the negative impact of his caustic persona.

Do you actually think recruits watch JB or any head coach's press conference?

Yes.
Do you actually think recruits/parents/mentors have never considered JB's caustic side before committing to another program? Rival programs, or their agents/supporters never bring it up when guiding a recruit? An amazing assumption.

People here tend to get a little overly sensitive about JB's behaviors and criticisms (some warranted and some not).

Yes, people here do apparently get a little overly sensitive about comments regarding JB's behaviors and criticisms.

Interesting to hear the different perspectives here, thanks for your responses.

Exhibit A for: Saying "that's JB" and being an apologist (or indicating none necessary) overlooks the negative impact of his caustic persona.

Yes.
Do you actually think recruits/parents/mentors have never considered JB's caustic side before committing to another program? Rival programs, or their agents/supporters never bring it up when guiding a recruit? An amazing assumption.

Yes, people here do apparently get a little overly sensitive about comments regarding JB's behaviors and criticisms.

Interesting to hear the different perspectives here, thanks for your responses.
"negative impact of his caustic persona"

you really -- and I mean this in the most respectful way possible -- should have found a different team to follow a long, long time ago...
although, it is never too late :)

"negative impact of his caustic persona"

you really -- and I mean this in the most respectful way possible -- should have found a different team to follow a long, long time ago...
although, it is never too late :)
My other squad is playing a common opponent tomorrow night. Curious to see how they end up. Beat St. John's this weekend.

You really -- and I mean this in the most respectful way possible -- should have found a different team to follow a long, long time ago...
although, it is never too late

No choice, only show in town ;). GO ORANGE!
Thanks for throwing in a little needed humor to lighten things up though!

To those riled by my comments, I'm not a JB hater. If taking exception to JB's caustic side and a perceived unnecessary negative impact on his and the program's image is an unforgivable transgression on this board, then so be it.

I know I'm far from alone in this perspective, regardless of the number of shots taken here!
So go ahead and keep them coming, I don't mind and it's been interesting.

Hey there Orange Double-Barrel.
Taking your shot with sarcaustic comment?

No worries-
Said all I have to say regarding my observation, which was apparently out of line with forum protocol.
Therefore, the forum can continue the lashings to your satisfaction.
Next? :)

I've thought about this many times before. While I have tremendous respect for Boeheim as a coach and even more so as a person (from at least what I know about him), I wouldn't want my son to play for him. This isn't a shot at Jimmy; I just know my son and how he responds best to people. That said, there are certainly many other personalities that thrive in that environment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom