JB's Presser after UConn | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after UConn

Anyone who follows and knows the lacrosse seen... this feels like Mike Messere. Wildly successful coach out of touch with what motivates kids today. That didn't end well.

So Boeheim is “out of touch with what motivates kids today”?

Could you maybe fill in the blanks that got you to that observation?

I don’t know anything about CNY high school lacrosse, but I know a great deal about it here in the DC area. The once dominant schools in this area didn’t get worse, the competition just got better. The better athletes in these other schools picked the sport up and erased the difference between the programs.

The power programs were as motivated as they ever were, but they were now facing athletes that were just as good as they were.

I think this is a little strong. If you step back for a minute.

-We are playing without FH who is going to be a key component to anything we accomplish this year. We shouldn't expect to play without hiccups in his absence.

-Any objective observer who saw our first four outings and knew we would still be without Frank had to know that these two games we're going to be difficult at best.

This isn’t about “objective observers”. This is about anger and angry fans who are lashing out.

I get called a clown when I say stuff like that.

No you get called one when you miss the first part of the last game when Chukwu played really well and you first post is still part of your agenda against the kid. He stunk last night. We got killed in the middle. I have nothing good to say about him from last night. I have no problem acknowledging that. The difference is I acknowledge the good and the bad and you can't seem to do that. That's sad. Don't bother to respond. You're the 2nd person I've put on ignore now.

I think this is a little strong. If you step back for a minute.

-We are playing without FH who is going to be a key component to anything we accomplish this year. We shouldn't expect to play without hiccups in his absence.
-The guy who is his most likely replacement has also been injured just started participating again a week ago, so he is (i) a freshman and (ii) behind the curve a bit even for a freshman because he missed a good deal of practice time with his injury.
-We did not play well against lesser competition in the first four games. The result was better, because it was against lesser competition.
-We spent two weeks slandering UConn to the point that I think everyone here expected them to roll over. Guess what, the fact that they didn't get into the ACC and we don't like them, doesn't mean that they are trash.

-Any objective observer who saw our first four outings and knew we would still be without Frank had to know that these two games we're going to be difficult at best.

I definitely see and agree with all your points. There is no doubt Frank's absence had an effect and there is definitely bias here towards UConn's quality. I feel like my assessment is fair though. The entire product Syracuse put out there last night was subpar. There is always the dichotomy of is it the players or the coach who caused the negative outcomes. You can't excuse either of them, but the coach is the guy who establishes everything from the basics on up. So when the entire team comes out and has no real game plan that can deal with what the opponent is sure to face you with, when they lack energy and lack discipline that is a reflection of their leader.

On the actual game coaching side - there is the game plan (already mentioned) and there are the adjustments made. I won't fault or credit a coach for player performance in terms of missing a shot or bobbling a ball, but if the coach is not doing things to set his players up for good shots and is not correcting players who are taking terrible shots on their own, that is on him. So last night - I don't blame JB if our guys miss an open jumper, I do blame him that we had no offense that could generate quality shots (a tiny a percentage of our shots were what I would call quality shots). I give no credit to Hurley that his guys were jacking 35 foot shots that happened to go in, because those were dumb shots. It was the Tom Brennan offense - total idiocy that on 90% of nights hands us the win because shots like those are usually turnovers. But since last night was their night hitting those, I do blame JB for not adjusting his defense out and bothering those shots.

No you get called one when you miss the first part of the last game when Chukwu played really well and you first post is still part of your agenda against the kid. He stunk last night. We got killed in the middle. I have nothing good to say about him from last night. I have no problem acknowledging that. The difference is I acknowledge the good and the bad and you can't seem to do that. That's sad. Don't bother to respond. You're the 2nd person I've put on ignore now.

You're right. But I haven't seen actual 'good' from him. He's average at best. Even in the post game presser from the previous game where you say he played "really well" JB called him out for some terrible defense. He then tempered it with some other comments about his blocks, but the guy is 7'2" playing against people much shorter than him. He should be getting blocks. Sid contributed nearly as much overall as PC did, but in far less time. I have no agenda with him. I had hoped that after all this time in college his skill set would be much farther along. But it's not. And I'm dismayed that some people here want him to come back for another year, taking precious playing and development time from much more rounded 'basketball' players that can help us long term.

As for being on your ignore list, I imagine I'll still be able to sleep this weekend. So I've got that going for me.

Not in touch with today’s kids? I think he has three kids the same ages as this team. That is not the problem.

So JB was able to adequately motivate a rag tag undermanned bunch through a deep run in the tourney last year and to a final four run two years before that, but all of a sudden he’s lost it?

This is exactly what it looks like. Last two seasons we were personnel challenged.

This year we are battling injuries and having trouble getting out of the gate as a result, or maybe as a result of injury and generally slow start of Battle.

I don’t buy any argument suggesting last night is a referendum on JB, maybe the job he did last night, but nothing more.
And yet that out-of-touch coach that lost the locker room still managed to get his team to the state championship. Crappy season for sure.

You should know that last season doesn't matter. Neither does the season before that or the 40 before that. They are no indicator of what the coach can, and cannot do.

All that matters is last night. And last night the team lost. Therefore, the coach is out of touch with his players, can no longer properly motivate them and should be fired. Pretty simple.

The World according to Zepharus.

And yet that out-of-touch coach that lost the locker room still managed to get his team to the state championship. Crappy season for sure.

You should know that last season doesn't matter. Neither does the season before that or the 40 before that. They are no indicator of what the coach can, and cannot do.

All that matters is last night. And last night the team lost. Therefore, the coach is out of touch with his players, can no longer properly motivate them and should be fired. Pretty simple.

The World according to Zepharus.
Wait a minute! This is satire!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom