JB's Presser after UConn | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after UConn

He didn’t throw them under the bus he said they played terrible and need to be better. That’s true.

Youre right that it's true, maybe we just have different definitions of "threw under the bus". I thought it was somewhat interchangeable with "blamed", which is what he did to them. I wouldnt mind hearing why you think that isnt so, being we have a long season and I'd like others to understand me more.

Why do you think JB had Battle bring the ball up after Carey was challenged in the backcourt? How many assists did Carey have? Short answer..zero. must have been that pass to OB that he didn't handle, ok one assist, easy answer, as you say.
Look, hes going to be special, but struggling to get the ball up court and running the O and get the vets involved should be his priority this year

You are blind.

Battle/Oshae/Hughes didn’t move the ball or get stuff done. Carey is a scoring guard forces to play the point.

Acknowledge the realities here that the acclaimed ones didn’t do jack tonight.

Last edited:
JB needs to own this loss. He coached a terrible game. One of his worst. Didnt push the zone out. No feel for when to call a TO. Substitutions made zero sense. All in all an F coaching job. Like he was in a trance all game. No fire, no strategy. Jim was really off tonight.

Battle and Brissett played with no effort. What is he supposed to do? Dolezaj was brain dead. Sidibe and Chukwu were pushed around. Buddy collected splinters because he looked overwhelmed out there.

I don't think Carey played that well. Point me to a time he set up another player within the offense or on the break
He’s not a high level D1 PG... yet. Give him some time. We need Frank back to run things. Carey can learn the position behind him and play off the ball at 2 guard.

You are blind.

Battle/Oshae/Hughes didn’t move the ball or get stuff done. Carey is a scoring guard forces to play the point.

Easily acknowledged, 4 assists from Battle, 3 from MD in limited minutes, 7 of 10 total assists in the game! 10! Zero assists from the PG position
So, where to we go from here? Syracuse is going to be in every game.
Carey is very good. But, Syracuse needs a PG that can find the spots were our acclaimed ones can be successful. Frank is on the way, we will be very good, and he will relieve the pressure off Carey, who as you say is transitioning, but lethal as a 2 guard.
Our offense needs to setup much sooner in the shot clock, not pickup our dribble 40 ft from basket, and then watch OB with a one legged leaping leaner fading away from the basket,
Lastly, not crazy about EH shot selection and Cuse rebounding effort

I'm glad we get to play a cool team not Iowa tomorrow. Will be fun I am hopping a 6am bus down for that and the football game.

Youre right that it's true, maybe we just have different definitions of "threw under the bus". I thought it was somewhat interchangeable with "blamed", which is what he did to them. I wouldnt mind hearing why you think that isnt so, being we have a long season and I'd like others to understand me more.

Just from a purely semantic perspective, to blame someone for something is the straight forward assignment of being the cause of something, to "throw someone under the bus" is more nefarious. It is typically understood as unfairly placing blame on someone else to deflect from ones own culpability in a situation, or to try and get the upper hand. That is all. Carry on.

You are blind.

I hear you. But, my retort would be that we really don’t move the ball. We don’t. That’s a fact. Frank will try the first pass to Tyus on the wing and if they overplay the offense is already broken. We will still have guys picking up dribbles, too much ISO, and taking terrible contested shots whether they are encouraged or discouraged by the staff. I can’t tell, honestly. We also simply haven’t gotten easy baskets for years now and that’s not an embellishment.

I’m a JB defender 8 out of 10 times but he has to get some of the blame here. A team comes out that unprepared in every way and the coach has to bear some of the responsibility. It was a truly embarrassing showing for Syracuse and he is the leader/teacher/tone setter/GM/and so on. It’s not the end of the world or the season and the team is down a man, but for tonight that was inadequate on every conceivable level.

Easily acknowledged, 4 assists from Battle, 3 from MD in limited minutes, 7 of 10 total assists in the game! 10! Zero assists from the PG position
So, where to we go from here? Syracuse is going to be in every game.
Carey is very good. But, Syracuse needs a PG that can find the spots were our acclaimed ones can be successful. Frank is on the way, we will be very good, and he will relieve the pressure off Carey, who as you say is transitioning, but lethal as a 2 guard.
Our offense needs to setup much sooner in the shot clock, not pickup our dribble 40 ft from basket, and then watch OB with a one legged leaping leaner fading away from the basket,
Lastly, not crazy about EH shot selection and Cuse rebounding effort

Mostly agree but these are systemic issues we have seen last year, and with the White/Lydon team as well. They had a couple of 3 assist (!) games with Frank last year. Look it up! They don’t move the ball. They just don’t. With or without Frank.

It was so bad tonight to start that one would’ve thought we were prepared to go against a zone or something from UConn. Fundamentally they are pretty terrible but that’s another issue.

Just from a purely semantic perspective, to blame someone for something is the straight forward assignment of being the cause of something, to "throw someone under the bus" is more nefarious. It is typically understood as unfairly placing blame on someone else to deflect from ones own culpability in a situation, or to try and get the upper hand. That is all. Carry on.

Ok, thanks. Look at the post 2 posts above this and then see that this is what was done. As Ive said many times before, I am the only person on here who Ive seen admit to having owned and worn a JB t-shirt...i really like the guy, but I dont worship him or find him infallible like some here seem to, at times.

I dont get why folks can fault players, but not put any percentage of the fault on coaches. This isnt a binary equation(to thwe best of my current understanding) and can be a mix of each. I dont know why everyone is pulling a Townie tonight. Maybe we need some experts to weigh in and tell us what to think?

LOL Jim wasnt at his best tonight. He was out coached and didnt have the guys playing at a high level. We came out flat and Jim never was able to gain any momentum. Not his best.

How can you be off playing in NYC? These aren’t freshman. I don’t understand what’s gojng on with Battle right now other than the pg situation.

I’m a JB defender 8 out of 10 times but he has to get some of the blame here. A team comes out that unprepared in every way and the coach has to bear some of the responsibility. It was a truly embarrassing showing for Syracuse and he is the leader/teacher/tone setter/GM/and so on. It’s not the end of the world or the season and the team is down a man, but for tonight that was inadequate on every conceivable level.

I don't blame coaching for effort. They played uninspired basketball all night. What was Tyus doing at times? This was the St. John's game at MSG all over again where surprise, surprise a freshman filled up the stat sheet. They have to hope UConn is decent this year.

I don't think Carey played that well. Point me to a time he set up another player within the offense or on the break

Since you asked one play comes to mind, because my son said the same thing just before it happened. My answer was he would have had a couple of assists if his teammates could catch the ball and finish.

Late in the second half, under our basket he drove and dished to Sidibe who was standing with 3 feet of the tin. Sidibe didn't have his hands ready fumbled the ball a bit and then got his shot blocked when he finally did go up. If he had been ready to receive the ball and gone up quickly and aggressively he dunks the ball.

I think this is a little strong. If you step back for a minute.

-We are playing without FH who is going to be a key component to anything we accomplish this year. We shouldn't expect to play without hiccups in his absence.
-The guy who is his most likely replacement has also been injured just started participating again a week ago, so he is (i) a freshman and (ii) behind the curve a bit even for a freshman because he missed a good deal of practice time with his injury.
-We did not play well against lesser competition in the first four games. The result was better, because it was against lesser competition.
-We spent two weeks slandering UConn to the point that I think everyone here expected them to roll over. Guess what, the fact that they didn't get into the ACC and we don't like them, doesn't mean that they are trash.

-Any objective observer who saw our first four outings and knew we would still be without Frank had to know that these two games we're going to be difficult at best.

Last edited:
Anyone who follows and knows the lacrosse seen... this feels like Mike Messere. Wildly successful coach out of touch with what motivates kids today. That didn't end well.

Here's a question-

Did Hurley's in-game coaching influence the quality of UConn's play in any way?

Anyone who follows and knows the lacrosse seen... this feels like Mike Messere. Wildly successful coach out of touch with what motivates kids today. That didn't end well.

So JB was able to adequately motivate a rag tag undermanned bunch through a deep run in the tourney last year and to a final four run two years before that, but all of a sudden he’s lost it?

This is exactly what it looks like. Last two seasons we were personnel challenged.

This year we are battling injuries and having trouble getting out of the gate as a result, or maybe as a result of injury and generally slow start of Battle.

I don’t buy any argument suggesting last night is a referendum on JB, maybe the job he did last night, but nothing more.

jb noted post game our offense was "too much one-on-one stuff. ..."
i thought that was our offense. when was the last time we ran a set play ?

Where are you after wins on the football and basketball board?

Out of content?
Bro.. you have a very serious issue.. and im not kidding. you follow me and post comments in a stalkerish way. would you like to get banned?

Our centers get pushed around a lot and often. That's what happens when our centers are bean poles. Not a new trend by any means. That's why landing a guy like Carrigan, who has some beef would be a nice change.

toughness and letting yourself get pushed around isn't only a function of size. its an attitude and it's in your blood. you either have the dog in you or you don't

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom