JB's Presser after UNF | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after UNF

JB doesn't sound like a Gillon or TRob fan
He is not a fan of their efforts, and you can hear the disappointment. He wants them to do the little things right, and then they will play. He wants them to rebound, make the right passes, etc etc. It doesn't take much for JB to trust you with minutes, grab rebounds, play good D, and don't take stupid shots and you will get time.

He is not a fan of their efforts, and you can hear the disappointment. He wants them to do the little things right, and then they will play. He wants them to rebound, make the right passes, etc etc. It doesn't take much for JB to trust you with minutes, grab rebounds, play good D, and don't take stupid shots and you will get time.
I agree with you. Robey is Robey and he'll find his way to step up in games. But man, Gillon seems to be a liability out there the last 3 games. Barring Frank getting in foul trouble, he might get 37mpg in ACC play

I agree with you. Robey is Robey and he'll find his way to step up in games. But man, Gillon seems to be a liability out there the last 3 games. Barring Frank getting in foul trouble, he might get 37mpg in ACC play
I've always been in Frank's corner, since last year. I hope Gillon tears it up when he comes in, but overall he does nothing better than Frank and only Howard will be here next year so he should get more minutes. Before the year started I was leaning towards Frank but thought John would come in for his shooting at times. Well that's a moot point because Frank is statistically our best 3 point shooter thus far.

It will help Howard if he lets him play without yanking him after every mistake. I thought Howard and Battle were good in the zone. They made some very deep threes with them in their face.

JB admited what we all know we need offense.
He knows he can't play Roberson and Coleman together we need more offense.
Battle for Roberson was smart.
If Roberson doesn't bring energy he doesn't help the team.

Not sure I agree with your comment about what it takes to gain JBs trust...I think he demands a lot of anyone who wants to play and rightfully so for the most part.

Not sure he's ever been a big TRob fan outside of a few games during his career.

I really don't get Robey, this is it for him, this is his chance to have a breakthrough year, he shows glimpses and then disappears.

I really don't get Robey, this is it for him, this is his chance to have a breakthrough year, he shows glimpses and then disappears.

The Beast. Not. Maybe The Least.

The other issue affecting Roberson is Battle's play. If Tyus have figured it out (as he showed tonight), he should play SG, White should play SF, and Lydon should stay off the perimeter. Lydon is better at PF than Roberson. So long as Coleman is contributing at center (as he did tonight), that is the best lineup.

So Roberson needs to learn to be an effective sub.

The other issue affecting Roberson is Battle's play. If Tyus have figured it out (as he showed tonight), he should play SG, White should play SF, and Lydon should stay off the perimeter. Lydon is better at PF than Roberson. So long as Coleman is contributing at center (as he did tonight), that is the best lineup.

So Roberson needs to learn to be an effective sub.

He needs to be an effective everything, he started two games before this and did nothing too.

"There's no block out in the zone, you just have to go get it."

Explains in part why his teams have not been the most physical over the years. They don't drill working the body and how to use leverage under the basket once the ball goes up enough in my humble opinion. I'm disappointed in TRob too, was expecting the typical Sr sustained effort night in and night out that we have seen nearly every year over the last 40. Come on Beast, you are better than this!

"There's no block out in the zone, you just have to go get it."

Explains in part why his teams have not been the most physical over the years. They don't drill working the body and how to use leverage under the basket once the ball goes up enough in my humble opinion. I'm disappointed in TRob too, was expecting the typical Sr sustained effort night in and night out that we have seen nearly every year over the last 40. Come on Beast, you are better than this!

Yeah I didn't like hearing that. You can absolutely still block out a guy. Why else do we see our guys ready to grab it then someone just goes around or above them last second.

Yeah I didn't like hearing that. You can absolutely still block out a guy. Why else do we see our guys ready to grab it then someone just goes around or above them last second.
Didn't watch it yet but yeh, like maybe the primary rebounder just has to go and get it but the other guys have to block out.

didn't get to see the game. but from the box score looks like the starters played the last seven minutes and eked out a W. not good against north florida.
robey's always been in JB's doghouse but i can't think of a worse way to handle his situation. he's playing 20 minutes a game . giving you 7 and 5. shoots better from the floor and line than lydon and is a senior to boot. carried us last post season. if you want to say you started battle to give you more offense that's fine. (although JB has never in the past shied away from token starters when clearly better players were on the bench) but to continually trash your own players in these post pressers as some sort of "motivation" makes no sense to me and is a truly a sign of poor player management.

I'll take it a step further because I had an opportunity to watch the game. Robey and Thompson, IMO, were flat-out pouting about their lack of PT. Basically, when they were called on, they exhibited zero hustle and their body language was pure "I don't give a schit".

I actually thought John tried to contribute but was over thinking every move. Paralysis by analysis. It's an awful feeling looking over your shoulder after every play wondering if you'll be getting yanked. With time, I think he'll be fine.

When we've got a late lead and the other team is in fouling territory, maybe we should just sub him in? Howard FT problem solved? All he has to do is get open and catch the ball, and then go make the FTs. Can even go offense/defense with him and Howard.

If it's a situation where the foul is definitely coming - yes. He would make me nervous if they just go hard with pressure till halfcourt as his passing, especially when pressured, seems off. Could become easy turnovers, which are easy points one way, and not even the hope of FH hitting a free throw.

Tough call. Probably will just depend on the situation.

I'll take it a step further because I had an opportunity to watch the game. Robey and Thompson, IMO, were flat-out pouting about their lack of PT. Basically, when they were called on, they exhibited zero hustle and their body language was pure "I don't give a schit".

I actually thought John tried to contribute but was over thinking every move. Paralysis by analysis. It's an awful feeling looking over your shoulder after every play wondering if you'll be getting yanked. With time, I think he'll be fine.

As always, would have to re-watch before arguing too much, but Robey seemed to come in okay. That baseline move was fantastic in the 2nd half, but as is TR's way, he butchered it. The jumper was , which I think was what JB was talking about in the presser, but he was wide open...

He missed a couple easy taps too. Why he can't finish that crap is beyond me - that being said, Lydon did the same things around the rim. I didn't notice the pouting, but didn't focus much on that either. Kid is frustrating.

As always, would have to re-watch before arguing too much, but Robey seemed to come in okay. That baseline move was fantastic in the 2nd half, but as is TR's way, he butchered it. The jumper was . . . . , which I think was what JB was talking about in the presser, but he was wide open...

He missed a couple easy taps too. Why he can't finish that crap is beyond me - that being said, Lydon did the same things around the rim. I didn't notice the pouting, but didn't focus much on that either. Kid is frustrating.
You need to re-watch the game and keep an eye on him when he doesn't have the ball on offense or playing the his spot in the zone. He simply didn't display his normal effort and/or interest.

You need to re-watch the game and keep an eye on him when he doesn't have the ball on offense or playing the his spot in the zone. He simply didn't display his normal effort and/or interest.

If that's the case, that really sucks. Hopefully it's just a one game thing as he adjusts to the disappointment. It can't be a great feeling losing that role after a couple years of starting. Might not end up rewatching that beauty though! :)

didn't get to see the game. but from the box score looks like the starters played the last seven minutes and eked out a W. not good against north florida.
robey's always been in JB's doghouse but i can't think of a worse way to handle his situation. he's playing 20 minutes a game . giving you 7 and 5. shoots better from the floor and line than lydon and is a senior to boot. carried us last post season. if you want to say you started battle to give you more offense that's fine. (although JB has never in the past shied away from token starters when clearly better players were on the bench) but to continually trash your own players in these post pressers as some sort of "motivation" makes no sense to me and is a truly a sign of poor player management.

Hardly a trashing by JBs standards. To quote, "When you score 1 point in 20 minutes of action, Sr or not you will lose playing time. We need productive minutes."

Who could argue with that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom