JB's Presser after UNF | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after UNF

didn't get to see the game. but from the box score looks like the starters played the last seven minutes and eked out a W. not good against north florida.
robey's always been in JB's doghouse but i can't think of a worse way to handle his situation. he's playing 20 minutes a game . giving you 7 and 5. shoots better from the floor and line than lydon and is a senior to boot. carried us last post season. if you want to say you started battle to give you more offense that's fine. (although JB has never in the past shied away from token starters when clearly better players were on the bench) but to continually trash your own players in these post pressers as some sort of "motivation" makes no sense to me and is a truly a sign of poor player management.
No, the game was well in hand with under 10 minutes to go. Then he put Gillon and Roberson back in and the lead started to diminish.

JB did not trash anyone in the presser and just calmly stated he needed to get more from yesterday's bench players. I have no problem with that, as the three who played were collectively awful.

I'm not really concerned about Roberson. He's the same player he's always been. He will have some great stretches for us.

Gillon, I'm not sure. Looked really good on offense the first few games, and is struggling badly on both ends right now. We need him. We could have a dynamic 3 guard rotation where all 3 guys bring different skill sets to the table.

JB doesn't sound like a Gillon or TRob fan
Most here were claiming a breakout year for TRob. I wasn't convinced. In the first 4 games he showed a lot of intensity and focus and I was beginning to believe. He was taking and making 12-15 footers and perfect from the foul line. Looked real good then. Then in the SC game he began missing, even missed a FT. e didn't appear as focus against better players (unlike the NCAAs.) Same for the Wis. game. JB saw him as a liability on the off end. He needs to get back that focus to get back his playing time. avg 23 minutes the first 5 games, then had only 13 and 11, showing JB's lose of confidence.

you save that sh#t for the locker room and defend your own players in public.
OK, what is he suppose to say when a guy doesn't start, or play many minutes. Even a token start wouldn't have stopped the questions when you go from 23 minutes a game to 9.

you say "we were looking for more offense." and stop. JB readily admits here this new starting group can't board a lick. so pick your poison. i also can't find the duke box score this season where they played 5 guys. (and don't forget the 5 star firepower on duke that is injured). but if JB's idea of a good rotation is playing five guys this season all i can say is good luck. hello NIT. absolutely no need to drag down your own players in front of a mic.

He said if you produce you play. What is trashing or earth shattering about that? In Roby case it was said he didn't have to worry about scoring. Get rebounds and play good defense and he'll see the court.

These guys need to get there head out of their nether regions and play hard.

well in fact tyler r. is second only to tyler l. in rebounding on the team.( 7.1 to 5.4. per) but he also plays 10 minutes less per game.

well in fact tyler r. is second only to tyler l. in rebounding on the team.( 7.1 to 5.4. per) but he also plays 10 minutes less per game.
and contributes 10 minutes less than Tyler L. even if he was in.

in case you missed november lydon ain't exactly lighting it up. but he'll get a pass .
He been bounced around playing three positions while transitioning to his role as one of the team's primary scorers and becoming the focus of opposing defenses. He certainly hasn't played his best or most consistent basketball thus far, but he hasn't been awful and will be just fine. On a list of concerns about this team, he's near the bottom of my list.

I know everybody is "shocked" about Lydon, but if you look at his numbers, they're almost exactly as the same as last year.

Shooting is down a tick, and turnovers are up a tad.

Assists are almost doubled, rebounding is up 1 a game.

Thought he would totally break out this year, but looking at the numbers there isn't much difference yet everyone around here is acting like he is Roberson awful. This is a guy whom everyone was calling a lottery pick last year, same numbers this year and he's like a benched senior.

Lydon is fine, and still productive. Just wish the turnovers would go down.

in case you missed november lydon ain't exactly lighting it up. but he'll get a pass .

Sophomore adjusting to a new role and having some inconsistency issues vs. Senior who continues to be inconsistent in what has been basically the same role for three years; you would expect Robey to have it nailed down at this point, but one game to the next you have no idea what you are going to get from him, other than you are unlikely to get any offense.

Not sure I agree with your comment about what it takes to gain JBs trust...I think he demands a lot of anyone who wants to play and rightfully so for the most part.
I think, once you arrive on campus prepared to don Orange for the team, JB gives you ALL THE TRUST AND LOYALTY POSSIBLE.

Benching you, yelling at you even in public, all tough love. Emphasis on love.

I really don't get Robey, this is it for him, this is his chance to have a breakthrough year, he shows glimpses and then disappears.
It's not easy to change your personality

you say "we were looking for more offense." and stop. JB readily admits here this new starting group can't board a lick. so pick your poison. i also can't find the duke box score this season where they played 5 guys. (and don't forget the 5 star firepower on duke that is injured). but if JB's idea of a good rotation is playing five guys this season all i can say is good luck. hello NIT. absolutely no need to drag down your own players in front of a mic.
It's early December. Duke has excellent reasons why they have a loss.

Not sure Kentucky has the same excuse. Or the teams ahead of us with two losses also.

Cause people are forgetting we DID NOT LOSE to North Florida!!!!! Just underperformed.

College basketball rankings: UK falls to No. 7, Nova new No. 1 in Top 25 (and 1)

Last edited:
Free throws, and by a lot.
Hey good point, Capt! Besides free throws because he certainly does do that better. This is why they teach you in college not to write in absolutes haha.

Against Michigan state, only 6 guys appear in the box score. OK, its not 5 but I can't remember JB only playing 6 while having all his players available. Against URI, Duke played 7 with the 6th and 7th guys played 8 and 4 minutes each. apparently you didn't look very hard. The box scores are on ESPN

Isn't Duke playing without 3 McD players currently injured right now? What's helping them is that Amile Jefferson has really improved. He was improving last year too before the injury. He's the kind of player I was hoping Robey would become...sigh. Jefferson was so raw when he came in. He's very good now.

I really don't get Robey, this is it for him, this is his chance to have a breakthrough year, he shows glimpses and then disappears.

It's all in his head. He question himself and thinks too much when he's 0ut there. When he is at his best, he is just hounding after rebounds. Haven't seen much of that so far, although in some of the early games, he showed more offense than he has so far. It all starts with effort and rebounding, though.

if you want to say you started battle to give you more offense that's fine. (although JB has never in the past shied away from token starters when clearly better players were on the bench) but to continually trash your own players in these post pressers as some sort of "motivation" makes no sense to me and is a truly a sign of poor player management.

This is the primary thing I will not miss when Boeheim retires. There are 3 things that bug me about his approach -

1. Trashing players in press conferences and breaking them down, when some of them need to be built up (you would think he would have developed better communication skills after all these years working with NBA all-stars on the Olympics team...)

2. Not really coaching any kind of sophisticated offense. It seems like we keep things really simple on offense so the kids play naturally and are not over-thinking things. But sometimes you need more sophisticated offensive plays than we seem to have in our repertoire, especially when you do not have the one-on-one talent to beat the opponent.

3. If you are only going to use the 2-3 as your base defense, then spend enough time teaching a zone press that doesn't get torn apart by teams who have more than a couple adequate ball handlers. It's hard to get back into games when your press is really just an invitation to the other team to run up and down the floor faster.

you save that sh#t for the locker room and defend your own players in public.

Anybody who has played a sport knows this. This kind of stuff should stay in the locker room or at practice. You don't run down your players in the press. I think that's a big part of why McCullough bailed after only playing about a dozen games for us before he got injured. Boeheim seemed to use the entire time to tell the world the kid was not ready for the NBA, so he could have him back the next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom