JB's Rant: Really, Really..c'mon and grow up (Reporters) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Rant: Really, Really..c'mon and grow up (Reporters)

There are times when Boeheim's liness is awesome, (e.g. the 2006 BET not 10 games rant), and then there are times when it's just lame and awkward. This latest episode, in my opinion, falls under the latter.

Well said... spot on.

...and no favors meaning...some of us may like his curt, to the point, in your face answers...my whole working day is that way...from people above and below me...open forum. If something is asked that is not obvious, there typically is an answer...for example: the two best defenders were in the game alluding to why DC-2 didnt play...my guess is DC-2 isnt ready to play and JB doesnt want to say that...but I find it difficult to believe that the sensitivities of the board are so much on the surface...tough skin my friends!
I like his in your face answers when he's trying to make a point (I loved the Katz comment once I understood the context). I think they were unwarranted with the questions he was asked monday night. Clearly the reason he was asked about DC was because a big heavy guy was pushing us around, and the reporter wanted to know why JB didn't use our biggest strongest guy against him. JB could've easily said that despite his size, DC2's positioning isn't as good as his veteran players. It's the same point but made more thoughtfully, and he doesn't come across as an a**. Afterall, DC2 was good enough to start a few months ago. It looked to me like it was JB's skin that was thin in this case.

Why do you think? (Select from the following)

1. Georgetown knows that Fair is our single inside threat. So they didn't allow BT or MCW to see him most of the time. He wasn't open. They prioritized covering him and it was easy to do because they had zero fear of Keita or Christmas catching the ball inside and doing something with it. When they when they were in a zone, they clogged up the lanes that Fair generally runs in.

2. I told BT and MCW that whoever attempted the most three point shots would get a prize.

3. BT and MCW are mad at CJF because they are all three interested in the same girl.
silly post. JB was aksed a honest question. He should have answered it. Instead, he just showed himself to be a poor loser. He didn't come off well in the exchange. And neither does Syracuse University. Jb sometimes forgets he is an employee of that University.

silly post. JB was aksed a honest question. He should have answered it. Instead, he just showed himself to be a poor loser. He didn't come off well in the exchange. And neither does Syracuse University. Jb sometimes forgets he is an employee of that University.

You are just going to have to be disappointed, Dasher.

He is done answering questions on basketball tactics posed by people who he thinks wouldn't understand the answer.

He is done inventing spin or dodging questions whose sole purpose is to create a controversy.

He has gone way beyond being just an employee of the university, except technically.

Maybe you'd be happier if the SU press office responded to the press questions.

i'm going to give this a like here just becuz in my head i can hear deadwoods ian mcshane reciting this bs.

Or maybe JB doesn't answer certain questions because he doesn't know the answer to them.

i'm going to give this a like here just becuz in my head i can hear deadwoods ian mcshane reciting this bs.

I vote that Ian McShane hold the pressers in character as Al Swearengen. He'd tell those C-suckers and then feed em to Wu's pigs.

He is done answering questions on basketball tactics posed by people who he thinks wouldn't understand the answer.

He is done inventing spin or dodging questions whose sole purpose is to create a controversy.

He has gone way beyond being just an employee of the university, except technically.

anbother silly response. Jb is paid to coach the team. part of that is the press conference after the game. Every other coach in the country answers questions. Jb does not sit at the right hand of the Father. He is a coach. To answer a simple question is not beneath him. What does he want them to ask, what his favoriet color is? And I am disappointed in jb. A man I have defended for years. This isn't a andy katz set up. These are simple basketball questions. These coaches aren't wizards with the great secrets of life. Hey coach, how come cj doesn't get touches at the end of games? Show some class.

I have to disagree...

His answer wasn't nasty...just weak and evasive...

No one particularly wants to sit there and answer questions after your team just lost its second big game in a row...especially after you've blown decent leads. I'd be angry, too. But it's part of a coach's job.

And he basically faced a bunch of routine questions...nothing to justify his silly attitude. Boeheim's answers (or non-answers) and his demeanor came off as juvenile and arrogant.

I think he embarrassed himself.

This.

Step back, people. If you saw this behavior from Calipari, there'd be no end to the rants against him. I acknowledge your (misguided) sense of loyalty, but sheez, try some objectivity for a minute. JB is simply petulant, graceless, and arrogant when he loses.

wu2.jpg

anbother silly response. Jb is paid to coach the team. part of that is the press conference after the game. Every other coach in the country answers questions. Jb does not sit at the right hand of the Father. He is a coach. To answer a simple question is not beneath him. What does he want them to ask, what his favoriet color is? And I am disappointed in jb. A man I have defended for years. This isn't a andy katz set up. These are simple basketball questions. These coaches aren't wizards with the great secrets of life. Hey coach, how come cj doesn't get touches at the end of games? Show some class.
Feeding them meaningless pap and non-answers is "showing class"? Strange definition.

But that's what goes on in locker rooms across the country.

BTW. he hasn't refused to answer a legitimate questions yet.

This.

Step back, people. If you saw this behavior from Calipari, there'd be no end to the rants against him. I acknowledge your (misguided) sense of loyalty, but sheez, try some objectivity for a minute. JB is simply petulant, graceless, and arrogant when he loses.
Is he supposed to pretend he is happy, gracious and cuddly?

As perhaps the only person here who faced hostile media accusers on a regular basis s part of her job, I can attest that it gets tiresome and frustrating after a while. Did I occasionally "lose it" and say dumb things? Yes. But getting the same dumb questions over and over again... has a tendency to do that to people.

Not that I disagree but . . . . what is the point of the post game press conference exactly? To satisfy some NCAA or Big East requirement? If not, then just don't do them.

As perhaps the only person here who faced hostile media accusers on a regular basis s part of her job, I can attest that it gets tiresome and frustrating after a while. Did I occasionally "lose it" and say dumb things? Yes. But getting the same dumb questions over and over again... has a tendency to do that to people.

And doing the same dumb things on the court over and over is even worse.

no one here expects "happy" after a loss . "occasionally" ? it's gone way past that. it's JB's new routine.

That's understandable.
But I didn't hear anything resembling hostility from reporters.
If anything, the questions were weak.
It was generally a routine, pedestrian Q & A.

After the past two games we've had, any coach would be disgusted or angry.
Who wants to answer any questions at a time like that?
There certainly aren't going to be any questions to evoke positive answers because there's little positive about the situation.

But the bottom line is, the guy took out his hostility on the wrong people.
And he looked silly doing it.
And by using the word "silly" I'm being kind.

And any question that jb doesn't want to answer is a "dumb" question to him. His conduct is not acceptable time and time again. He is often a bully with a mic. And for answering questions, try answering them from clients. The Col is right. JB takes his anger out of people just doing their job and asking questions we ask here all the time. There is a reason that every media person that I have ever talked to in the Syracuse media, both past and current, say the same exact thing about jb. and it isn't a compliment.

What I find interesting is how he is conflicted as to how he sees himself. When a lot of praise is thown his way, like win 900 or even 2003 he was quick to credit other things -- the Big East, the Dome, players over the years, great assistants, fans -- and never talked up himself. Then when asked questions that he considers a critique, even though others do not, he can do the opposite and quickly become defensive..."I've been coaching 37 years" from the other night, the Pitino thing from last year...

You combine these things and his brutal honesty (right or wrong), and you get things like the other night.

no one here expects "happy" after a loss . "occasionally" ? it's gone way past that. it's JB's new routine.

New? The guy is often unhappy after a win. I don't understand the uproar every time he goes off on a reporter. The complaints here every time he does it are hilarious.

Probably some of the same posters who put those bumper stickers on their cars saying my kid is the next president, world's best, honor student, blah, blah, blah...or from that generation that could do 'no wrong' pampered and stroked their entire lives unable to cope with criticism or rejection. :noidea:

You're treating JB like one of those people who you claim can't cope with criticism. JB is a grown man, this isn't his first rodeo. He knows that he's going to be criticized for popping off at the mouth. He doesn't need your help.

Some people like JB's blunt style. Others wish JB was a touch classier. Nothing wrong with either view.

The answer is, yes, I'd like a coach - any coach - to give honest answers.
He doesn't have to be nasty to reporters OR about his players.
Boeheim could have said something like, "I'd like to know that as well. We just didn't do a good job of recognizing CJ when he was open."
Then a follow-up would have been nice...something like, "Coach, did you call any plays for CJ?"

That's what give and take is.
That's what a news conference is.
Boeheim has been at the game for 37 years.
Her certainly knows better.
It's a shame he didn't act it.

And by the way...Fair was flashing to the foul line against Marquette's 2-3.
I was looking for it and saw him do it at crunch time.
You're correct...our ace point guard didn't get him the ball.
How come?
That's a rhetorical question but I think we'd all like to know.

Basically, you want JB to throw players under the bus. You want him to say that MCW missed him open when plays were run for him.

JB, love him or hate him in press conferences, will never blame a player unless he is trying to light a fire.

What I find interesting is how he is conflicted as to how he sees himself. When a lot of praise is thown his way, like win 900 or even 2003 he was quick to credit other things -- the Big East, the Dome, players over the years, great assistants, fans -- and never talked up himself. Then when asked questions that he considers a critique, even though others do not, he can do the opposite and quickly become defensive..."I've been coaching 37 years" from the other night, the Pitino thing from last year...

You combine these things and his brutal honesty (right or wrong), and you get things like the other night.

I wonder if it is really the opposite. This is an extremely competitive, loyal man who I don't doubt for a minute appreciates the fans, his players, his great assistants, the Dome, his university etc but who is uncomfortable accepting praise or taking criticism. He may just not like the focus on himself - good or bad. I seriously don't know if those are opposing attributes. Interesting. On the other hand he may just have been darn tired, frustrated and grumpy (I know the feeling ) - these past few years have been far from a picnic for him despite the great team success we've had and the additional Olympic success he's earned.

As perhaps the only person here who faced hostile media accusers...

I hear what your saying, but this presser was not a hostile environment nor were the reporters asking accusatory questions. I just don't agree with JB's parting shots at the BE. His comments about the BE at this presser - were and are 1000% correct but what good does it do kick the BE while on the way out? It's just plain stupid heading into the tourney. If your travelling to NYC for the BE, I would not plan on staying long as I'm pretty sure SU will see the same officiating they saw at Marq. Wrt to the NCAA tourney - look for SU to get shipped to MI or TX for a tough 4-5 match up in someone else's backyard with the winner being rewarded IU in Indy. No one (including the ACC) will be looking to do SU any "favors" on selection Sunday. Meanwhile, Pitt will be playing in Philly and Lville in Lexington and this board will wondering why we just got screwed by the committee again.

I could care less about JB's press conferences. I only care that we lost the game. I watch basketball enough to know why we lost the game. I can see that the guards didn't get CJ the ball enough. So I don't need a coach to give me excuses. After we win I don't need the coach to shoot sunshine up my A** either. Players today probably laugh and joke about his pressers so it isn't hurting recruiting or any current players. It really isn't putting any bad light on the university. So I could care less if JB throws a fit every presser. Just win games.

Reactions: cto