JB's Successor Candidates (Goodman Podcast) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Successor Candidates (Goodman Podcast)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disagree. They will definitely be two names on the list but I just don't believe a guy like JW would not go through a search process nationally and bring through a number of candidates. I think any coaching hire predicated only on JBs sign off and approval is a flawed approach. Love JB. Hope he stays in touch with the program when he leaves but he is not the AD. In the end if Hop and Red get the job then fine but that's an outcome derived through a process and review.
Also as an aside, isn't Hop's father out West?Hop may want to stay out that way to be close to him. If I remember correctly.

Agree 1000% percent. JW will do full due diligence, and won't restrict himself to only in-house candidates. Nor will he be forced into taking someone on the current staff.

JB may not call the shots entirely but, as has been pointed out above, he just holds way too much influence, sentiment, investment - er, Power - to not have significant say in who his predecessor is-
regardless of Wildhack's style/intentions (and Wildhack seems astute enough to understand it)

Again, unsubstantiated.

Would your opinion change if I told you that JB approached JW with a proposal to make GMac [not Red, btw] the next head coach in waiting, and was politely declined?

JB might have influence, but he isn't going to hand pick the next coach the way some people are asserting, and he isn't driving this process. JW will.

If Greg Paulus who is sort of a Syracuse guy shows some success add him to the list. But it's a super short list.

Greg also would make an excellent #2 guy depending on whom we hire.

Again, unsubstantiated.

Would your opinion change if I told you that JB approached JW with a proposal to make GMac [not Red, btw] the next head coach in waiting, and was politely declined?

JB might have influence, but he isn't going to hand pick the next coach the way some people are asserting, and he isn't driving this process. JW will.
Honestly I really don’t care who the next HC is as long as this doesn’t happen.
Again if it’s a current staff member Autry > McNamara.

If JB did this he doesn’t have any leverage now so it makes sense JW would say no. If JB retires and says I won’t help the athletic department then JW might feel differently not that JB would do that.

If JB wanted GMac to be HCIW then I want him no more than a courtesy call with whomever we are hiring.

First, I think JB is coaching until:

1) He physically cannot
2) We get a third probation (at this point, if we're cheating, we should be getting higher ranked recruits)

If it's the former, depending on where we are (ie - did we just make a final four or have we missed the tourney a few years in a row) will dictate how much a guy like Red gets a hard look. If we're crushing it and Red has really taken ownership at that point, I think he's the natural next guy.

If we're in relatively bad shape (let's say we even have a sub .500 season or two), I think there would be more pressure to go outside of the current staff (that would still lend itself to pulling Hop back in, for example).

If we get hit with probation again (and this is just for this exercise, I do not think we will), then I think we need to outside the family and I think JB's influence on the call drops quite a bit.

Mike Hopkins was killing it on the recruiting trail and was offered HC jobs before he was named HCIW.
He had leverage not that he used it to become HCIW but he actually had offers.

If JB thought he could get GMac the HCIW Title while he wasn’t even the associate HC or top assistant if I were Autry I would be super pissed at JB. Which makes it kinda hard to believe. Autry would be seriously done wrong if that was offered to JW.

First, I think JB is coaching until:

1) He physically cannot
2) We get a third probation (at this point, if we're cheating, we should be getting higher ranked recruits)

If it's the former, depending on where we are (ie - did we just make a final four or have we missed the tourney a few years in a row) will dictate how much a guy like Red gets a hard look. If we're crushing it and Red has really taken ownership at that point, I think he's the natural next guy.

If we're in relatively bad shape (let's say we even have a sub .500 season or two), I think there would be more pressure to go outside of the current staff (that would still lend itself to pulling Hop back in, for example).

If we get hit with probation again (and this is just for this exercise, I do not think we will), then I think we need to outside the family and I think JB's influence on the call drops quite a bit.
I know JB has publicly denied it ... but it sure seemed like the staff is/was going all out for 2022 recruits who are very highly rated ... which would also be Buddy’s last year

Sure, those are examples of it working. There are also countless examples of hiring in-house not working out.

Our future opening is also going to have the extra, pressure packed powder keg of the next coach replacing an all-time great, HOF legendary coach. Which is exactly why it is important to do due dilligence to maximize the chances of hiring the best, most qualified candidate we can -- and not handcuff ourselves to evaluative criteria that gets in the way of making that hire.
All the examples I cited are coaches essentially replacing their programs’ all time greats: Heathcoat, Keady, Dean Smith, Bo Ryan, Steve Fisher, even Dan Monson, who first put Gonzaga on the map. Hop is also a beloved figure at the university and among alums and widely known and respected in East coast recruiting circles, and recruiting is the lifeblood of any program.

Mike Hopkins was killing it on the recruiting trail and was offered HC jobs before he was named HCIW.
He had leverage not that he used it to become HCIW but he actually had offers.

If JB thought he could get GMac the HCIW Title while he wasn’t even the associate HC or top assistant if I were Autry I would be super pissed at JB. Which makes it kinda hard to believe. Autry would be seriously done wrong if that was offered to JW.

I have zero interest in making you or anyone else believe it if you don't want to.

But this is the basis of why I completely disregard the validity of anyone saying that JB is going to determine who the next head coach will be, that he has power over JW, etc.

I'd say that our fanbase has a higher opinion of Red as a HC candidate than other schools do -- that should be informative.

I know JB has publicly denied it ... but it sure seemed like the staff is/was going all out for 2022 recruits who are very highly rated ... which would also be Buddy’s last year

Except... that was NOT going to be Buddy’s last year, until Covid.

Buddy is a Junior right now.
Under normal circumstances he’d be done in ‘21.

But, let’s not let that minor detail stand in the way of a good #narrative.

All the examples I cited are coaches essentially replacing their programs’ all time greats: Heathcoat, Keady, Dean Smith, Bo Ryan, Steve Fisher, even Dan Monson, who first put Gonzaga on the map. Hop is also a beloved figure at the university and among alums and widely known and respected in East coast recruiting circles, and recruiting is the lifeblood of any program.

And yet... Hop has recruited well at UW, and still finished in last place last year, and is off to a disastrous start this year.

Sometimes, the best choices are the ones you don't make. I love Hop, but him leaving the fold was the best thing that could have happened in terms of SU being able to do a low-risk audition.

And in light of that performance, it is valid to question whether he has the required chops to coach here, and whether he's the top candidate we should consider -- despite his deep ties to the program.

Fortunately, JW isn't going to think so small -- he's going to do full due diligence. And when the dust settles, if Hop is the guy, then I'll get behind that decision. But anyone thinking that we're going to only consider Hop, Red, GMac, and Willard because of their ties to the program are underestimating what an astute leader / strategist / business man Wildhack is.

Yes, agree. What I would like to see before JB hangs it up:

1) his wins get reinstated that were taken (I think there is starting to be some momentum for this)
2) for him to get a second chip. Get back one from Keith Smart or the 2010 year when Arinze get KO'd in the BET.

Separately, I want a big search for his successor, but part of me really wants Red to be the next HC. I've followed him since high school (he was on Scholastic Sports America - remember that show?) and would love to see him succeed.

Except... that was NOT going to be Buddy’s last year, until Covid.

Buddy is a Junior right now.
Under normal circumstances he’d be done in ‘21.

But, let’s not let that minor detail stand in the way of a good #narrative.
You’re right ... the narrative was Buddy woild leave, then JB would load up 2022 and walk away after

Yes, agree. What I would like to see before JB hangs it up:

1) his wins get reinstated that were taken (I think there is starting to be some momentum for this)
2) for him to get a second chip. Get back one from Keith Smart or the 2010 year when Arinze get KO'd in the BET.

Separately, I want a big search for his successor, but part of me really wants Red to be the next HC. I've followed him since high school (he was on Scholastic Sports America - remember that show?) and would love to see him succeed.
I'm getting more on board with the Red Autry plan the more he keeps recruiting well.

UNC after Dean doesn’t fit the profile of the other examples you cite.

Dean rewarded his longtime assistant (Bill Guthridge) by retiring right before the season. He took Dean’s last recruiting classes and went to 2 FFs in 3 years.

UNC couldn’t convince Roy to leave Kansas in 2000 so they hired Matt D’OHerty. He cratered the program (likely due to Guthridge’s lack of recruiting) and was canned.

Roy proves to actually “give a schitt about North Carolina” and the rest is history.

I doubt JB pulls a Dean/Bo Ryan and retires right before the start of a season.

But I do think we’re more likely to endure a steep fall off for a few years (regardless of who the successor is) before hopefully a second coach comes in to right the ship.

If JW pulls off a relatively seamless transition from HOF lifer to younger elite lifer then he’s a HOFer in my book.

(insert Denzel meme here).

John Becker, the Vermont head coach, who should be a leading candidate for the BC job this offseason. He’s a really good coach with good connections in the NE prep school scene.
if i was bc, i would make a run at red autry

What about Anthony Grant from the University of Dayton?

And yet... Hop has recruited well at UW, and still finished in last place last year, and is off to a disastrous start this year.

Sometimes, the best choices are the ones you don't make. I love Hop, but him leaving the fold was the best thing that could have happened in terms of SU being able to do a low-risk audition.

And in light of that performance, it is valid to question whether he has the required chops to coach here, and whether he's the top candidate we should consider -- despite his deep ties to the program.

Fortunately, JW isn't going to think so small -- he's going to do full due diligence. And when the dust settles, if Hop is the guy, then I'll get behind that decision. But anyone thinking that we're going to only consider Hop, Red, GMac, and Willard because of their ties to the program are underestimating what an astute leader / strategist / business man Wildhack is.

I hope you're right.

Again, unsubstantiated.

Ugh, this is the equivalent of JB saying he wanted to keep playing at Manley back in the day.

I have zero interest in making you or anyone else believe it if you don't want to.

But this is the basis of why I completely disregard the validity of anyone saying that JB is going to determine who the next head coach will be, that he has power over JW, etc.

I'd say that our fanbase has a higher opinion of Red as a HC candidate than other schools do -- that should be informative.
You don’t need to give me anything more I take your posts with gold. I am just saying that sounds messed up. I trust you.
You are top 5 poster of if it’s said it’s true.

To your last line I would say the same thing about Gerry McNamara.

Status
Not open for further replies.