JB's Successor Candidates (Goodman Podcast) | Syracusefan.com

JB's Successor Candidates (Goodman Podcast)

Status
Not open for further replies.
While we’re at it since we’re talking Boeheim successor and Field of 68 podcasts, I’ll just leave this here:
I can’t put into words how happy I would be if Pitino was the move after JB

Also, idk why but I cannot stand Willard

There is no way it's Pitino. The last year and and half has been rough for Hop but if it's between him and Willard I take him all day.
The answer here is Hopkins. Surprised guys who cover college basketball would waste time talking about anyone else.

Can’t see Pitino coming to Syracuse. Not with John Wildhack running things. Now if Dr Gross was still here, yes, that would be the guy he would be all over.

John might not hire JB’s first pick but I can’t see him hiring someone JB really dislikes. Willard or Oats would be hires that would split JB away from the program, divide the fan and donor base and put a bad person in charge of the program. Good chance we would be on probation in a year or two. Lots of downside going with a choice like these guys. No way it happens IMHO.

JB may be around longer than Hop. JB shows no interest in slowing down.
JB will be around long enough for Hop to reinvent his career at a good mid major, if Washington doesn’t work out. I still think he’ll turn things around at UW.

Don't think the fan base would respond well to Kevin Willard, and he doesn't seem to have the greatest rep within coaching circles. I think the University would go after someone with a better image than that. Unlike the football program there's tons of BB Alumni involement, someone with no direct ties is going to have a tough time breaking through. Just my opinion.

Kevin Willard is one of the least liked coaches among other coaches and ADs. I know this for a fact. He’s one of the biggest negative recruiters in the game and is a snake oil salesman. He’s done a lot of shady stuff to get big time recruits from the city. No way he’s welcomed here.

It will likely be Hop or Red who takeover, but I also would keep an eye on two others over the next few years depending on their career progression (pure speculation).

John Becker, the Vermont head coach, who should be a leading candidate for the BC job this offseason. He’s a really good coach with good connections in the NE prep school scene.

Then there’s Matt Langel at Colgate, who is a 3x Patriot League Coach of the Year. Another guy with NE ties, but I think he might wind up back in the Philly area long term.

The answer here is Hopkins. Surprised guys who cover college basketball would waste time talking about anyone else.

Yup. We are not Alabama or Texas in football and are not North Carolina or Kentucky in hoops.

We need lifers. Guys whose longevity and success make them an institution.

Why I was so disappointed when Marrone left but hoping that DB can be that guy.

Hop can definitely be that guy.

Wildhack can go two ways here keep it in the family with Hop or Red, or as some here said go outside the "family" for a guy like Williard, Oats, Shaka Smart etc... That would split the fan base, alumni and SU basketball family.

That’d be unfortunate.

Each should get a lot of consideration. But it’d be unfortunate if that’s what Syracuse is limited to. Not sure I’m sold on staying in the family for the future of a college program.
The replacement for JB has to be inside the family.
It’s going to happen so I am not going to think outside.
Wildhack won’t piss off JB.
Oats is clearly not on good terms with JB.
I don’t see other candidates.
We aren’t hiring Rick Pitino or Willard.

That’d be unfortunate.

Each should get a lot of consideration. But it’d be unfortunate if that’s what Syracuse is limited to. Not sure I’m sold on staying in the family for the future of a college program.
Also I personally wouldn’t make that my list I am just using common sense.

Mike Hopkins will get the first call IMO. He has earned that respect.
If he isn’t selected or want the job then a current assistant makes sense.
Autry over McNamara.

The replacement for JB has to be inside the family.
It’s going to happen so I am not going to think outside.
Wildhack won’t piss off JB.
Oats is clearly not on good terms with JB.
I don’t see other candidates.
We aren’t hiring Rick Pitino or Willard.

If Greg Paulus who is sort of a Syracuse guy shows some success add him to the list. But it's a super short list.

Also I personally wouldn’t make that my list I am just using common sense.

Mike Hopkins will get the first call IMO. He has earned that respect.
If he isn’t selected or want the job then a current assistant makes sense.
Autry over McNamara.
I don’t disagree. Just think it’s too risky a narrative to accept for a national brand. Willard would never be in consideration, the guys a walking pending violation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom