Jerome smith pro day | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Jerome smith pro day

Pretty sure NFL fullbacks can do more than 14 reps. They said the average last year for all RB's was like 22 or something.

And on a sidenote...did ya see the size of Eric Bienemy? He looked like Ceelo Green out there.
I think Fiammetta is still going from his combine. he was like anchorman, one thousand one, one thousand two

I'm going to write this one time and this isn't meant to disparage anyone, call anyone out, etc.

Jerome Smith is pretty slow. I would have been shocked if he ran in the 4.5 range, and had him pegged as a 4.6 to 4.7 guy. He has never been, nor will ever be a track star. But should that really surprise anyone here who watches SU football? He isn't a home run threat. There's a reason why our recruiting has focused at bringing in speed. The only player on our current roster that could run a legit 4.4 or possibly sub 4.4 is Estime.

Now, onto some of the numbers we see, etc at the combine. First, any non-electronicly reported 40 time you ever read, hear, or have run yourself if probably bunk. If you ran a 4.6 in high school, it probably means you are a 4.7-4.8 guy. To run a 4.4 at the combine you are world class my friend. As to the bench press, honestly, who cares? Jerome's 14 on the bench probably equates to a 335-340 max. That's not weak. The kid also has long arms and is probably a +4 or so with regards to wingspan and height.

I doubt any of us here have a standing 36" inch vert or can broad jump 10 ft. The kid is pretty explosive from a lower body strength and conditioning aspect -- he just happens to be slow by NFL standards. Not human standards, so we can all stop with our I can bench more, I can run faster, etc.

we all know it's not weak. but this is the NFL we're talking about. if he could bench more, he'd weigh more without sacrificing speed. guy with his speed needs to be bigger.

Last edited:
we all know it's not weak. but this is the NFL we're talking about. if he could bench more, he'd weigh more without sacrificing speed. guy with his speed needs to be bigger.

Bigger where, in his pecs and tris? Because that's what the bench measures. His long arms probably work against him a bit in the bench anyway. His lower body is plenty strong as evidenced by his broad jump and vert (top 25%). Honestly, I don't even know why they even do the bench in the combine, it's such an antiquated measurement of strength (or meatheaded to put it on your terms). Tyron Mathieu did a whopping 4 last year and he was one of the best rookies in the NFL last year. Anthony Davis did something like 20 reps on the bench and ended up as an all-pro tackle.

I think Clowney did 21 reps on the bench, but he can power clean close to 400 pounds, which is insane. They would be better off doing those types of lifts to see the true explosiveness in an athlete.

Oh, also Jerome Smith isn't an NFL caliber running back. :)

Bigger where, in his pecs and tris? Because that's what the bench measures. His long arms probably work against him a bit in the bench anyway. His lower body is plenty strong as evidenced by his broad jump and vert (top 25%). Honestly, I don't even know why they even do the bench in the combine, it's such an antiquated measurement of strength (or meatheaded to put it on your terms). Tyron Mathieu did a whopping 4 last year and he was one of the best rookies in the NFL last year. Anthony Davis did something like 20 reps on the bench and ended up as an all-pro tackle.

I think Clowney did 21 reps on the bench, but he can power clean close to 400 pounds, which is insane. They would be better off doing those types of lifts to see the true explosiveness in an athlete.

Oh, also Jerome Smith isn't an NFL caliber running back. :)
"Bigger where, in his pecs and tris? Because that's what the bench measures. "

oh come on. stronger people are heavier. if the bench measure was so narrow, performance wouldn't be so heavily correlated with weight. smith is too light and it's not because of his legs. if he were eating and training enough to get his bench press up, he'd be bigger and stronger. it's not some test that's literally applied to the field (pushing upwards from your back) but it tells you something

it probably doesn't give any more info than his weight does - he's too light for his speed

power clean would be better if technique wasn't so important. you might get fooled by a guy who just doesn't know how to power clean.

fwiw i would blow out an o-ring benching 225 more than once

Last edited:
"Smith said last week that most people projected him to run in the 4.6 range and that he had “a little surprise” for the NFL personnel evaluating him. He declined to state his exact goal."

Jerome surprised in the wrong direction

NBA Testing is at 185. NFL Combine is at 225. I agree with your point though that he can't be 100% for whatever reason.

I think he meant he could do that many reps of 225 at a body weight of 185.

"Bigger where, in his pecs and tris? Because that's what the bench measures. "

oh come on. stronger people are heavier. if the bench measure was so narrow, performance wouldn't be so heavily correlated with weight. smith is too light and it's not because of his legs. if he were eating and training enough to get his bench press up, he'd be bigger and stronger. it's not some test that's literally applied to the field (pushing upwards from your back) but it tells you something

it probably doesn't give any more info than his weight does - he's too light for his speed

power clean would be better if technique wasn't so important. you might get fooled by a guy who just doesn't know how to power clean.

fwiw i would blow out an o-ring benching 225 more than once

I agree to an extent, but amongst most fitness gurus bench press is starting to go by the wayside as a measurement of total body strength. Guys with longer reaches and arms also are at a major disadvantage due to the further distance the weight has to travel. I would think the correlation between RB upper body strength and speed or NFL success is very low.

There's tons of studies available on correlations and NFL successes. They found nothing. One of the studies actually showed that the 40 time had a small negative correlation to success. I honestly think the only reason they do it anymore is to appease folks like us -- huge $$$ in it.

As for the power clean, guys like us you probably shatter a spine -- but every one of us do it.

I agree to an extent, but amongst most fitness gurus bench press is starting to go by the wayside as a measurement of total body strength. Guys with longer reaches and arms also are at a major disadvantage due to the further distance the weight has to travel. I would think the correlation between RB upper body strength and speed or NFL success is very low.

There's tons of studies available on correlations and NFL successes. They found nothing. One of the studies actually showed that the 40 time had a small negative correlation to success. I honestly think the only reason they do it anymore is to appease folks like us -- huge $$$ in it.

As for the power clean, guys like us you probably shatter a spine -- but every one of us do it.
i believe that negative correlation because guys with great 40s are usually too small.

some weight adjusted 40 time would probably suffice. if you're heavy and fast, all the other stuff is going to necessarily be there. (strength explosiveness) you don't put up a good 40 time at a heavy weight without being really strong

MA PROTEIN SHAKE

I'm 44 and can crank out 6-8 and I don't have no Jerome Smith-type body. Something has to be wrong.

No doubt...a few years ago, prior to me tearing my rotator cuff and detaching my labrum, I was doing 3 sets of 10-12 reps with 190lbs on the bench, this with my body weight at 180. I was 43 at the time...

What has he ever done to make you think he's faster than he showed. He was a very good off tackle zone runner. But he doesn't have any wiggle and he never ran away from anyone. Some power, some burst, but no top end. A very good college back in the BE and ACC, but that's as far as it goes.
Actually I saw him run away from clemsons DBs for 70yd run. Also in preseason it was said he ran a sub 4.5. Is that good enough?

NBA Testing is at 185. NFL Combine is at 225. I agree with your point though that he can't be 100% for whatever reason.
I'm saying I could bench 225 14 times. I know the weights they use for testing

anglerman said:
Actually I saw him run away from clemsons DBs for 70yd run. Also in preseason it was said he ran a sub 4.5. Is that good enough?
Whoever said that wasn't right. Add .2 to every rumored time

14350679-standard.jpg

More Bromley pics

i smith was hurt, he doesnt run or bench.

simple as that.

hes not a NFL prospect.

again...please people, leave the talent evaluating to the talent evaluators.

any rickshaw ride betters out there......

i smith was hurt, he doesnt run or bench.

simple as that.

hes not a NFL prospect.

again...please people, leave the talent evaluating to the talent evaluators.

any rickshaw ride betters out there...

Exactly, you do the interviews and save the work out for pro day.

He is what he his.

What might have happened if he choose to stay? Y' never know.

4.84 official time.I know someone who almost had him at 4.9. Really bad showing. I can see the low number on the bench as he has pretty long arms. Kid should bulk up and try to make it as a fullback.

Except he never really showed that he likes to hit and get hit. The comps to Blount and Lynch in the paper were laughable.

No you didn't.

They hit an inside zone where Clemson was playing a single high safety that jumped way out of the hole. The corner from the whole other side of the field closed quickly, the corner to the sideline he ran to pretty much quit on the play.

I'm a big fan of Smith, but I don't feel compelled to make stuff up to puff him into something he's not.

Except he never really showed that he likes to hit and get hit. The comps to Blount and Lynch in the paper were laughable.

He had a couple of major concussions early, that just might have something to do with trying to avoid taking big shots.

Didn't he imply that he was going to surprise people and run faster than a 4.6? Very disappointing for Smith. I thought he needed another year and other than an injury I cannot explain any of his performances.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom