Jerome smith pro day | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jerome smith pro day

We have a crack strength training staff.
Not sure if you are kidding or not. I have it on good accord that our staff is one of the most well regarded in the NCAAs. It could also be that Jerome is just pretty darn slow.

14 reps on the bench tells me he may not no be working out as hard as he should. I could easily do that in my day at 185lbs. I'm no Greek god by any means. I think his testing tells me he's just not in good shape for some reason.

agree season ended 2 months ago, you got to put in the time, but who knows exactly why.

Ya know I always thought smith looked bigger than his listed weight because his legs are so big but maybe this explains it. To be surprisingly light with giant legs means he's skinny up top

per twitter it seems like Jerome has always been a workout guy.

per twitter it seems like Jerome has always been a workout guy.

Well there is a difference between being a workout guy on the college level, and being an athlete on the NFL level.

Can't imagine he gets drafted with a 4.77.

4.84 official time.I know someone who almost had him at 4.9. Really bad showing. I can see the low number on the bench as he has pretty long arms. Kid should bulk up and try to make it as a fullback.

CIL said:
4.84 official time.I know someone who almost had him at 4.9. Really bad showing. I can see the low number on the bench as he has pretty long arms. Kid should bulk up and try to make it as a fullback.

He essentially is a fullback. I always thought of him as a tweener, a cross between a TB and FB.

I don't really believe he's that slow. For some reason he just wasn't in shape. I hope it's not because of a lack of effort.

FB is literally his only shot at the NFL if today was a true display of his athleticism.

I don't really believe he's that slow. For some reason he just wasn't in shape. I hope it's not because of a lack of effort.

There is absolutely no reason to be at the combine not in shape. NONE. the last several months has been about preparing for today. If a guy shows up out of shape, there is no excuse and no chance at a long-term career in the NFL

Smith isn't playing in the NFL. Nice college back, but we've had a number of better backs who couldn't make the grade. Wish he had returned, but it's his call.

What has he ever done to make you think he's faster than he showed. He was a very good off tackle zone runner. But he doesn't have any wiggle and he never ran away from anyone. Some power, some burst, but no top end. A very good college back in the BE and ACC, but that's as far as it goes.

14 reps on the bench tells me he may not no be working out as hard as he should. I could easily do that in my day at 185lbs. I'm no Greek god by any means. I think his testing tells me he's just not in good shape for some reason.
NBA Testing is at 185. NFL Combine is at 225. I agree with your point though that he can't be 100% for whatever reason.

I can see people getting worked up about the 40 time but bench press. Come on. When was the last time you saw a running back have to bench press someone? How much someone can squat or power clean makes a lot more sense. With power backs its all about the legs. The only time bench is even remotely use (triceps, pecs) is when you stiff arm.

Reactions: CIL
Must have a crack stopwatch staff as well. Wasn't it a 4.48 reported at spring ball or something? And he just spent 3-4 weeks at combine training in Florida. Can't believe he would get slower.

Maybe he's hurt.

FB is literally his only shot at the NFL if today was a true display of his athleticism.
Pretty sure NFL fullbacks can do more than 14 reps. They said the average last year for all RB's was like 22 or something.

And on a sidenote...did ya see the size of Eric Bienemy? He looked like Ceelo Green out there.

14 reps?! I literally did 15 the other day and I've taken about a month off from working out and I am out of shape (relatively speaking). When I came in freshman year as D3 d-end my unofficial was 4.85-4.9, I refuse to believe his measurables are as bad as what he displayed today. Something must be going on with him. Someone posted he may be injured and I'm thinking that may be it...

I can see people getting worked up about the 40 time but bench press. Come on. When was the last time you saw a running back have to bench press someone? How much someone can squat or power clean makes a lot more sense. With power backs its all about the legs. The only time bench is even remotely use (triceps, pecs) is when you stiff arm.

What it shows is dedication in the weight room. He has known for months that today was coming, and yet that's the best he was able to do. The guys do one thing in the weight room at the combine, they don't power clean or squat. That's what he needed to prepare for, and while 14 reps for a normal human, as an NFL hopeful, he did not measure up.

I firmly believe that Alec Lemon had a better workout last year and went undrafted, so I will be shocked if Rome gets picked unless he significantly improves on everything at his pro day.

Here's to hoping Bromley has a better day today.

14 reps is really head scratching. That's just plain awful. This really couldn't have went any worse for Rome

I'm 44 and can crank out 6-8 and I don't have no Jerome Smith-type body. Something has to be wrong.

I'm going to write this one time and this isn't meant to disparage anyone, call anyone out, etc.

Jerome Smith is pretty slow. I would have been shocked if he ran in the 4.5 range, and had him pegged as a 4.6 to 4.7 guy. He has never been, nor will ever be a track star. But should that really surprise anyone here who watches SU football? He isn't a home run threat. There's a reason why our recruiting has focused at bringing in speed. The only player on our current roster that could run a legit 4.4 or possibly sub 4.4 is Estime.

Now, onto some of the numbers we see, etc at the combine. First, any non-electronicly reported 40 time you ever read, hear, or have run yourself if probably bunk. If you ran a 4.6 in high school, it probably means you are a 4.7-4.8 guy. To run a 4.4 at the combine you are world class my friend. As to the bench press, honestly, who cares? Jerome's 14 on the bench probably equates to a 335-340 max. That's not weak. The kid also has long arms and is probably a +4 or so with regards to wingspan and height.

I doubt any of us here have a standing 36" inch vert or can broad jump 10 ft. The kid is pretty explosive from a lower body strength and conditioning aspect -- he just happens to be slow by NFL standards. Not human standards, so we can all stop with our I can bench more, I can run faster, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom