Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 90 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doubt it was SU who told WV what ended up being the auction starting bid. Thought it was illegal to tamper before a player entered the portal?

Likely tampering, but it would seem the NCAA is not concerned with enacting punishment for violators or has not found an ironclad way to identify infractions successfully to enable enforcement.

That said, this wild west anything-goes behavior has enough building chatter on it that I think they will make an example soon and slap somebody with sanctions. They are going to have to figure it out.

I don’t know why we are having this discussion he’s moved on. Let’s move on. I’m sure we’ll get a center shortly. sometime to change is needed for both Let’s wish him the best.

Last edited:
OK let's focus on a solution to this Jessie problem.

His "stickiness" to SU can be calculated by the following equation:

A + B + C

where:

A = amount of NIL money offered
B = girl friend attending SU
C = getting his undergraduate degree from SU

anything else?

well A is fixed, cannot be increased.

we can work on B and C.

we can pay some NIL to his GF to press Jesse to stay, or have someone make a move on his GF so he worries he might lose her if he leaves to another school.

we can hack into the school computer to change his grade so he fails one of his classes that is only offered during the fall semester so he has to stay around to retake that class,

what else? who is joining this black op?
You're not tricking me into doing math.

I don’t know we are having this discussion he’s moved on. Let’s move on. I’m sure we’ll get a center shortly. sometime to change is needed for both Let’s wish him the best.

Thank you. What I'm sure a bunch of us are thinking. Let's focus on all the names that are on the radar

A student athlete can have an NIL agent who then can reach out to collectives/NIL opportunities at other schools to gauge their market price and then preview market deals for the student athlete prior to decision to enter portal.

Its a pretty easy work around. Players know what's out there in advance of making a decision in most of the bigger cases.

There is always going to be a veil to protect the school and its staff.

Hundreds of millions at play. Smart business people. They're gonna figure it out so there will be no tampering issue.
So it becomes every time a bidding war? I’m sorry but that is crazy. Of course agents will be looking for a higher bidder always - they are getting bigger piece themselves. As you describe it, then there is no such thing as tampering. Uggh

basketball is made up of so few players on a court and only one ball. This won't happen at all.

stars will still want to be singular stars. some super teams will form but ultimately guys want to be the king of their castle wherever. Geography will still matter to some, education will matter to others.

I couldn't disagree more. We'll be in the mix as usual. To me the part no one wants to touch is whether AA is actually a good manager of a top 10 esque program, can he X and 0 as well as Jimmy could in big games and is he able to identify recruits that fit the model.

If those things fail, NIL won't matter really because we'll be swimming upstream with a subpar coach
Yes it will. End of the day is that money talks. If there are teams that can write $500k+ checks to guys like Edwards and Girard, what do you think they can write when a 5-star comes rolling around?

Geography does matter, and nobody wants to go to school in a city where it is winter 8 months of the year. Education matters to maybe 2% of college basketball players lol. In the mix as usual? We've been in the mix like once over the past 10 years.

Yes it will. End of the day is that money talks. If there are teams that can write $500k+ checks to guys like Edwards and Girard, what do you think they can write when a 5-star comes rolling around?

Geography does matter, and nobody wants to go to school in a city where it is winter 8 months of the year. Education matters to maybe 2% of college basketball players lol. In the mix as usual? We've been in the mix like once over the past 10 years.

Think your view is clear in the program is doomed. We get it.

So it becomes every time a bidding war? I’m sorry but that is crazy. Of course agents will be looking for a higher bidder always - they are getting bigger piece themselves. As you describe it, then there is no such thing as tampering. Uggh
Agents love NIL because they get 20% of every deal instead of the 5-10% from pro athletes.

I have no idea how people can see any type of light at the end of the tunnel right now

I'll admit I'm not excited or happy about any of it. But looking more than 4 weeks ahead right now is useless let alone 5 years. So many factors and variables. Also the more that comes out of the Jesse and AW stuff... the more it's clear we all over reacted and still are. I'll say what I said before.. let's see what things look like in early May.

Remember when you consolidate competition you reduce the allure to fans. That much will always be true. Not to mention capacity to spend doesn't mean it will get spent.

I have no idea how people can see any type of light at the end of the tunnel right now
What are you actually talking about? You’re not all-knowing Nostrodamus over here, no one is buying it.

We have a former 5 star projected first rounder in next year’s draft signed as of today. We got a call with Dickinson. You think he even entertains a call with our coaches if we can’t put together some form of NIL package to his liking? We still might get Judah back.

Not to mention we don’t know the future of NIL. It’s still in its infancy. As incompetent as I know the NCAA is, i have to imagine changes or regulations will eventually come to this new age of paying players.

Not saying we’re kentucky or duke, but we’re going to still be a program that is heavily invested in basketball and bring in good players. See what Red does with the rest of the offseason and let’s build momentum.

Last edited:
While the recent details that have come out seem to have settled most, I have to ask: are the reasons why we lost Jesse (because we had the money, but said too rich for our blood) any better than not having the money?

If what Jesse is getting is the going rate for known good players and we're saying no thanks; is that really any better? That's just another way of saying we can't do what it takes it compete. If Judah backs out of the draft is he not going to be looking for a payday as a known good college player with even better potential? Seems like he would fetch more than Jesse in that case and if we're unwilling to pay Jesse what other schools are then we definitely aren't paying Judah's price tag.

Unfortunately given these events I don't have high hopes for Cuse basketball at this point. If because we're unable to pay the big bucks, we can't get the big players and furthermore lose the diamonds in the rough that we do get because once they prove they can play they'll be asking for a bigger payday than we're willing to give then the basketball program will go the way of the football program. Sadly this seems like a foreshadowing of a grim future for this program/athletic department.
Completely disagree. If the money is there that's good. It's finite and should be optimized. What if they have Nil ear marked for JJ, Judah if he returns, 3 top 30 recruits and a top scorer from the portal? So now you spend all the money you have earmarked on keeping Jesse and lose out on 3 top 30 players. My guess is they view Jesse as having a dollar value. No different than NFL teams have for players. If he accepts the value great, if not good bye and we can now spend dollars earmarked for Jesse elsewhere.

I don’t know why we are having this discussion he’s moved on. Let’s move on. I’m sure we’ll get a center shortly. sometime to change is needed for both Let’s wish him the best.
I thank him for his efforts. I wish him no ill will. You can wish him the best. I will save that for players in an SU uniform.

Stop with the weather nonsense. It's nit winter 8 months out of the year. And if no one wanted to play in the north, why aren't all the best teams exclusively in warm weather states?

Not saying it doesn't matter, but it's not a massive factor.

Shaka Smart put a pretty good Marquette team together and their winter weather is colder and worse than Syracuse (being right on Lake Superior in the UP)

I thank him for his efforts. I wish him no ill will. You can wish him the best. I will save that for players in an SU uniform.
I wish him good health and a happy and successful life.

In terms of basketball - it’s in our best interest that he plays worse at his next program than he played here. So, I hope he sucks next year. That’s not personal, that’s just sports.

Why would I care if people "bought" what I had to say. Im bringing up valid arguments and you are all banking on hypotheticals

I am in tears laughing that people like you are clinging on to some false hope that we have even a remote chance at landing Hunter Dickinson. Not only can we not afford him, why on earth would he join what is shaping up to be the worst roster in the ACC? It would be career suicide

JJ Starling is very, very, very far from a 1st rounder. He simply hasn't lived up to the hype he had coming out of high school. Maybe he turns it around, maybe he is just another Benny Williams. But you are out to lunch if you think he will come in here and light the world on fire
Can’t wait for Girard to pick a school, so you can go follow him.

You only need 1-2 NBA level guys to win a title. The rest of the roster needs to be solid college players who buy into the team and staff. Kentucky, Duke, and others signed all the freshman stars for the last decade and it produced modest success (talking titles specifically). My personal opinion is turning over your roster year-over-year will rarely produce the consistent success fans crave.

Syracuse will be fine.

Stop with the weather nonsense. It's nit winter 8 months out of the year. And if no one wanted to play in the north, why aren't all the best teams exclusively in warm weather states?
Same tired ass bs someone brings up at least once a year. Then someone posts the 10 other supposedly dreadful cities or cow pastures and barns that players are lining up to go to, and the argument is shelved for another season. Wash rinse repeat

Not saying it doesn't matter, but it's not a massive factor.

Shaka Smart put a pretty good Marquette team together and their winter weather is colder and worse than Syracuse (being right on Lake Superior in the UP)
As a Michigander, I have to chime in here.

Whatchoo talkin' bout, Willis?

The UP is in Michigan, not Wisconsin. Marquette is in Milwaukee. As in Wisconsin. As in "not-in-Michigan". As in almost 350 miles from Lake Superior. It averages (by CNY standards) a paltry 49 inches of snow per year and actually is moderated, temperature-wise, in the winter by Lake Michigan. It gets cold in Milwaukee, yes, but not as cold as you might expect.

Milwaukee weather is nowhere near as bad as Syracuse weather in the winter. Now, that being said, I agree that once you are far north, winter temps kind of suck everywhere. But as it pertains to snowfall, I believe that Syracuse is not only the snowiest major city in America, it is also the 5th snowiest major city in the world. Still, the difference between snow and crazy snow probably doesn't matter as much as snow vs no snow. I think that every northern school that has snow, whether Marquette at 50-ish or MSU at 50-ish, or SU at 110+-ish has to fight that battle when recruiting against a school that rarely gets any snow at all.

Edit: it occurs to me that you maybe think that Marquette Univ is in Marquette, Michigan. It is not. Marquette, MI is indeed located on Lake Superior in the UP, and is the home of Northern MI Univ, but Marquette Univ is in Milwaukee.

Last edited:

The UP is in Michigan, not Wisconsin. Marquette is in Milwaukee. As in Wisconsin. As in "not-in-Michigan". As in almost 350 miles from Lake Superior. It averages (by CNY standards) a paltry 49 inches of snow per year and actually is moderated, temperature-wise, in the winter by Lake Michigan. It gets cold in Milwaukee, yes, but not as cold as you might expect.

Milwaukee weather is nowhere near as bad as Syracuse weather in the winter. Now, that being said, I agree that once you are far north, winter temps kind of suck everywhere. But as it pertains to snowfall, I believe that Syracuse is not only the snowiest major city in America, it is also the 5th snowiest major city in the world. Still, the difference between snow and crazy snow probably doesn't matter as much as snow vs no snow. I think that every northern school that has snow, whether Marquette at 50-ish or MSU at 50-ish, or SU at 110+-ish has to fight that battle when recruiting against a school that rarely gets any snow at all.

Edit: it occurs to me that you maybe think that Marquette Univ is in Marquette, Michigan. It is not. Marquette, MI is indeed located on Lake Superior in the UP, and is the home of Northern MI Univ, but Marquette Univ is in Milwaukee.

I've thought Marquette U was in Marquette, MI... pretty much forever!

Thank you for clarifying.

(me: feeling dumb :()

Last edited:

It’s more like four months and it keeps getting shorter.

Snow isnt bad if you don’t have to shovel it or drive far in it.

I liked snow when I was a kid.

It beats boring cold weather without snow. IMO.

There's a lot of posters in this thread that aren't reading the salient posts and just coming in hot with uninformed takes.

I mean, I get that 60+ pages in about a day is a lot, but still... View attachment 226952
We all could use a CliffsNotes version of this thread to catch the salient information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom