Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU | Page 92 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards in portal and transfers to WVU

Status
Not open for further replies.
You only need 1-2 NBA level guys to win a title. The rest of the roster needs to be solid college players who buy into the team and staff. Kentucky, Duke, and others signed all the freshman stars for the last decade and it produced modest success (talking titles specifically). My personal opinion is turning over your roster year-over-year will rarely produce the consistent success fans crave.

Syracuse will be fine.
Agree, and also buy into each other as team mates...

Fantastic return on that investment! People with “f-me money” are having fun with it but if the product they get is consistent with A&M football this year, they will quickly find another hobby. Accountability hitting the kids is a step in this process. We’ll see how quickly it gets realized.
Other ways to benefit all from NIL: @ BYU:
Some institutions are even seeing opportunities for entire teams or athletic departments. All female athletes at Brigham Young University now have the opportunity to earn up to $6,000 during the academic year through a brand deal with SmartyStreets, a location data intelligence company. Trent Howell, head of marketing at SmartyStreets, said female athletes who use their social media channels to share information about the company, attend and promote company events, appear as talent in marketing materials, and wear “SmartyStreets swag” will receive payment per activity, earning up to $3,000 per semester. So far, he said, 294 athletes have signed up for the brand deal. He said SmartyStreets CEO and founder Jonathan Oliver chose to connect with all the women in the athletic department because women’s sports are typically overlooked.
AND

BYU’s athletic department announced in August that the football team had signed a deal with Built Brands LLC, which makes protein bars and other products, that benefits all 123 players on the team -- including walk-ons. The athletes will wear Built branding on their practice helmets and participate in events, as well as post on social media. In return, the company will provide compensation in the amount “comparable to the costs of tuition, ($6,120), for an academic year,” the department said in a press release.

Last edited:
A&M, never woulda thunk it.

Ranking the strength of every NIL collective in the SEC - Sports Illustrated Auburn Tigers News, Analysis and MoreHere is a ranking of every NIL collective(s) in affiliation/partnership with each SEC team.

NOTE: Most collectives have not publicly shared how much they have raised or distributed to their student-athletes.

1. Texas A&M (The Fund)

The Aggies' collective earned their athletes over $4 million during the 2021-22 school year, per Collier Logan of All Aggies. Collier noted in his September article that "While NIL is a largely unregulated realm, the state of Texas requires that NIL contracts be disclosed along with their values. This allowed Travis Brown at The Eagle to compile some of the numbers for a better look at the NIL situation in the state. When all the sums were tallied up, athletes at Texas A&M earned over $4 million in NIL money during the 2021-2022 school year."

The rumor that A&M spent over $30 million on their most recent recruiting class seems to be untrue, but the collective is certainly helping all of A&M's student athletes get compensated.
Sam Bennett, the low amateur at The Masters plays for A&M. His outfits were plastered with some sponsors. It’s telling how he could have collected 300gs if he turned pro after his finish at Augusta but appears to have kept his amateur status. Must be raking it in. As a golfer.

He implied Syracuse couldn't figure out NIL deals for him. And that's just not true. At all.
My opinion of this young man declining rapidly. This did not do him or his cause any favors. The host being a fan boy didn’t help. Next time get a room.

Here is Jesse’s interview today with Dan Tortora on Wake Up Call DT.

Painful.

It is very hard to follow Jesse’s conversation.

Is he already a politician because he is not too sure about the how, why, where and what he is doing?

Best question was If there was no NIL, would he stay be at Syracuse? Too bad he could not give a coherent response.

Give him some credit for at least trying to discuss his decisions.

Sam Bennett, the low amateur at The Masters plays for A&M. His outfits were plastered with some sponsors. It’s telling how he could have collected 300gs if he turned pro after his finish at Augusta but appears to have kept his amateur status. Must be raking it in. As a golfer.
You have to turn pro prior to the masters. You can't make the cut on Friday and then say, "actually, I'm no longer an amateur." Point is, the NIL stuff is grossly exagerrated. And because it's not regulated, "promises" are getting thrown out left and right but there's very few guys getting huge bucks. Jesse will find out soon enough. A tall, skinny, non charismatic center who has no shot at the NBA, is not a great investment.

Here is Jesse’s interview today with Dan Tortora on Wake Up Call DT.

Painful.

No real answers. He seems confused and so am I. He went on that show, was evasive and really didn’t want to say why he’s leaving. Like Bees said - very painful and sad. Just seems too bad on the surface.

I didn’t watch or listen, but if he’s lying about it to save face, then that tells me all I need to know.
I won’t say anything about Edwards other than he must be a lousy poker player.

Let’s talk about this DT guy. Never heard of him before. An interview like this is not going to help him in the long-term. Dude, this probably the last time Edwards will appear on your show, so why go out of your way to play #1 defender/hype man? There was a real story to be uncovered here and he completely blew it.

After watching Jesse’s interview it’s obvious he wanted to stay at Syracuse but the extra $ he’s been told will be there is much too much to turn down so he will be playing 6 months of college basketball somewhere else.

Hopefully he got good advice & it works out well for him but I wish Jesse was still wearing orange.

Also that host is a tool. I doubt Jesse even considers him a friend.

After watching Jesse’s interview it’s obvious he wanted to stay at Syracuse but the extra $ he’s been told will be there is much too much to turn down so he will be playing 6 months of college basketball somewhere else.

Hopefully he got good advice & it works out well for him but I wish Jesse was still wearing orange.

Also that host is a tool. I doubt Jesse even considers him a friend.
I doubt Jesse considers him at all.

Not saying it doesn't matter, but it's not a massive factor.

Shaka Smart put a pretty good Marquette team together and their winter weather is colder and worse than Syracuse (being right on Lake Superior in the UP)
Um Uconn just won the championship

A TEAM IN STORRS CONNECTICUT JUST WON THE NATIONAL TITLE BUT GEOGRAPHY!!!!
When I said geography I meant kids will still want to play close to home. Clingan was from Ct and stayed close. Marcus Camby stayed close to Hartford and got paid at umass

You guys are all crazy. It’s hold your nose season in all college sports but some kids will still want to play in front of family most of the time

No real answers. He seems confused and so am I. He went on that show, was evasive and really didn’t want to say why he’s leaving. Like Bees said - very painful and sad. Just seems too bad on the surface.

I really worry that where he lands doesn't come through with the offer he hopes and the playing situation is worse too. What a shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom